topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Bad smells ... UPS recommendations ?  (Read 30341 times)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bad smells ... UPS recommendations ?
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 09:36 PM »
I have lousy power - doesn't go out that often, but subject to fluctuations - and two UPSs on 24/7 for two different systems, as well as a Tripp Lite voltage conditioner for laser printer and some peripherals. A Google search for AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) or voltage conditioner  should come up with plenty of options.

The less expensive UPS boxes are standby and kick in when the power goes below a threshold, but don't do anything to condition the power quality and just pass voltage variations through to the devices plugged into them. That's not usually a problem for modern PC power supplies, but it can be for some devices.

In my case, one UPS is an APC 650VA box and the other a Best Power line-interactive UPS. They both have worked well for about 15 years, although the batteries need replacement every 5 years or so. For dirty power the Best unit is better because it puts out a clean constant voltage and also provides diagnostics on the input line quality. Best Power was bought by Eaton a few years ago and incorporated into the Eaton Powerware line, which is available in localized versions in many countries.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 09:43 PM »
Hm, so to be "perfect" you'd need both an UPS and a "voltage massager" kinda thing? I thought the non-silly-extreme-lower-end was more than just a battery :o :o :o
- carpe noctem

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 10:14 PM »
I know that electrical installations that are "fed" by windmills require electronic stabilizers (I have to see the first gust of wind that blows a steady 220 volts to electrical appliances).

Condensators of (quite) substantial capacity are required, but they do kill those irregularities on your (electrical) sinus's. I believe I have somewhere the complete mechanical and electrical schematics for a D-I-Y windmill. When I find them I'll let you know.  

johna1940

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 05:55 PM »
I have a CyberPower 1100AVR That I have had so long I had to replace the batteries. They just wore out. Mine hooks up to a serial port to monitor and setup the unit, but I imagine they use USB now.

I recomend CyberPower wholeheartedly. Also, they stand behind their product.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 08:03 PM »
Thanks xtabber.  I did a search and looked at the APC line of AVR's.  As many APC battery backups that I've bought over the years I would have thought I would have heard about their AVR's.
  Before I can order one I have to pull my 57' HDTV away from the wall and look at the power rating, then add the other components power consumption.  The biggest one they offered is a 1200va, so if I need one larger then I'll have to find one through another company, and probably have to pay way too much......

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 04:52 AM »
Before I can order one I have to pull my 57' HDTV away from the wall and look at the power rating, then add the other components power consumption.
Are you running your HDTV through UPS? Why?
- carpe noctem

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 08:02 PM »
  Actually the HDTV is on the surge protection only side, for obvious reasons.  As for the rest of the stuff like the satellite, HDD/DVD, etc, I have it on battery backup to keep from losing anything I may be recording at the time.  The battery backup only needs to work for approx 20 seconds until my house's backup genny kicks in.
  I'd be really miffed if I missed an episode of Battlestar Galactica....   ;)

gonetomorrow

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • meeow!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 06:04 PM »
My .02c--
    My experience with APC batteries is they're really cheap and don't compare with Tripp-Lite quality.  Hope this helps.

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 10:26 PM »
I have been quite happy with MGE Systems UPS line. I think at some point APC bought them or had a merger .. . so avoid www.mgeups.com. It tries to shove APC at you (when I selected USA).

The site you want is www.mgeops.com. The nova line is pretty darn good. Sticker shock if you see the price on their website. I would shop around (the web) for more realistic price.

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 03:02 PM »
Quick recommendation for a brand I didn't see mentioned. I've had a great experience with CyberPower. The UPS I picked not only gives me a good half-hour of running time when the power goes out, it even has a detailed status display (multiple screens that include estimated running time remaining). It's built right into the box so you can activate the display without having to have the computer running. They have software installs designed for Windows, Macs or Linux.

With a MSRP of about $130 for models like the one pictured, it's definitely not outrageous for what you get. The manufacturer's website even has a design page ("sizing tool") that lets you match your setup to one of their models. I really love that you can disable alarms so the unit just quietly does its thing, and if the outage lasts too long it'll gracefully shut down Windows. (Probably something similar for the other OS flavors as well.)

I snagged the pics below from their site -- click to enlarge. FWIW, the above is based on my experience with the CP1500C which runs over $200 retail. On-demand (quiet) fan cooling rounds out the features for my model.
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:17 PM by Cavalcader »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Being able to see battery capacity and other stuff would be worth quite a bit in terms of peace of mind.