ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft Bid for Yahoo - Interesting Development...

<< < (4/5) > >>

wraith808:
Something well over 90% in the US and even higher everywhere else - looks like a monopoly to me.

Anyone noticed how lots of US TV shows (24 is an obvious one) only use Macs - pure product placement. I refuse to believe that the Mac is the US government standard issue - especially in security circles  :-\
-Carol Haynes (February 29, 2008, 03:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, they definitely don't have one from an economic standpoint- they have competitors.  Very rabid competitors at that.  From a non-economic view, I would still argue that 90%+ does not a monopoly make.  They may have leveraged their marketshare in unfair ways to promote other products, but their large market share does not make it impossible to compete on the basis of OS itself.

Carol Haynes:
Sorry where are the rabid competitors for Windows? Mac has about 8% share of desktops in the US (rather less in the EU) and Linux has a very small following on desktops (though it does compete well in the server market).

I can't find the website at the moment but there was an article the other day about Apple's financial problems growing apace - mainly because their one real seller (the iPod) has just about reached market saturation and is now not the cash cow it once was - especially as people have realised that watching a Hollywood blockbuster on a 2" screen doesn't really provide the Hollywood glow of a 60" plasma screen!

Deozaan:
especially as people have realised that watching a Hollywood blockbuster on a 2" screen doesn't really provide the Hollywood glow of a 60" plasma screen!
-Carol Haynes (February 29, 2008, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

But just think, you can watch that blockbuster on that 2" screen for only 1/10th the cost of a 60" plasma screen! What a deal!  ::)

Carol Haynes:
Ah but you would have to buy 900 iPods to make a 60" screen so they are more than 90 times over priced!

That means on average an iPod with video should be priced at around $5 to $6 ! (About the right price IMHO)

Deozaan:
That means on average an iPod with video should be priced at around $5 to $6 ! (About the right price IMHO)
-Carol Haynes (February 29, 2008, 07:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed! Except my opinion about iPods is not so humble.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version