ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft Bid for Yahoo - Interesting Development...

<< < (2/5) > >>

Renegade:
Oh, I worry about google as well... but they do seem a slight bit less evil than Microsoft. Might just be because they don't have quite as bad a monopoly as Microsoft (yet).
-f0dder (February 29, 2008, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that I could disagree more.

Google IS the 800 lb gorilla, but few people see it or say it. They have a complete strangle hold on the ad market. We need competition there, and neither MS nor Yahoo are cutting it on their own. They really need to combine in this area to hope to provide some kind of competition for Google.

The insidiousness of Google's penetration into the ad market is beyond sinister. They provide the ad channel, and the "free" analytics. Add that up! It spells pure evil.

Essentially you buy ads through Google, then use their anyalytics to tell them just how profitable you are so that they can jack prices up on you. It's sinister on their part and idiotic on our part for cooperating with them there. Why not just <insert obscene violation of your body here>?

f0dder:
Sure, they might pretty much have a monopoly on the ad market, and there's a lot of money involved in that... and there might be some negative consequences for webmasters who want to make money off ads. But how does that hurt me as a regular end-user, compared to how Microsoft's OS monopoly (arguably) hurts us all?

Renegade:
Sure, they might pretty much have a monopoly on the ad market, and there's a lot of money involved in that... and there might be some negative consequences for webmasters who want to make money off ads. But how does that hurt me as a regular end-user, compared to how Microsoft's OS monopoly (arguably) hurts us all?
-f0dder (February 29, 2008, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very simple. Google squeezes merchants. Merchants squeeze customers. Microsoft squeezes people too, but Google is now the defacto ad company in the world. They dwarf the top 10 ad agencies combined!

When Google drives prices up, who pays for that? We do as consumers. It's not direct as in the MS case. It's much more insidious...

Lashiec:
I seriously doubt a combination of Microsoft and Yahoo! could challenge Google's domination in that area, at least in the short-term. If people were concerned about Google misbehaviour there, the solution is simple: move to other ad carrier, but everyone seems to be happy right now. Besides, joining two behemoths to battle another one in just one field doesn't solve the problem of the monopoly a combination of Microsoft + Yahoo! could create in a lot of areas (IM and mail, just to mention the two biggest ones).

What it troubles me is that, despite initial concerns, now most people are simply standing back, and ignoring the whole issue, because they already conceded that, one way or another, Microsoft will achieve what it wants, even if they resort themselves to dirty play. It's amazing the kind of loopholes the system has for corporations to achieve everything they want, just to please those faceless masses that are the shareholders (or so they claim). I wonder how they would be pleased when just a few companies dominate everything, something that seems to be accelerating as lately, market competition be damned, goodbye one of the principles of the capitalist system.

Oh well, at least we have the EU to stop their dreams ;D

Renegade:
Oh well, at least we have the EU to stop their dreams ;D
-Lashiec (February 29, 2008, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ok -- You've got some good points, but that there is just a very sick sick sick thing to say! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version