topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PHP Desinging  (Read 10172 times)

arunpawar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PHP Desinging
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:54 AM »
I'm learnign PHP as i want to design my own journal for coding,i had done during my college days with search engine as first page interface.For learning PHP i have downloaded XAMPP package,and PHP designer editor.Q. I was told by someone that XAMPP can be used to create web-app locally and test it on local machine.But i want to create my cms and then i want to upload it to server.IS this
possible?

Q. Is there good tutorial for creating small cms or web-apps,using PHP & MySQL?

Q. What can i do if i'm uploading large database,is MySQL & PHP enough? or do i need some other langugae?

Q. is raw PHP code enough or do i have to use any framework like zend or cakephp?

Please help.Let me know how to proceed.

crono

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PHP Desinging
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 08:16 AM »
Q. I was told by someone that XAMPP can be used to create web-app locally and test it on local machine.But i want to create my cms and then i want to upload it to server.IS this possible?
Sure - if you have FTP (or similar) access to your webhost, you can upload the scripts to it

Q. Is there good tutorial for creating small cms or web-apps,using PHP & MySQL?
I dont know a good tutorial, but two good books for beginners
- http://www.oreilly.c...talog/9780596514013/
- http://www.oreilly.c.../catalog/0975240218/

Q. What can i do if i'm uploading large database,is MySQL & PHP enough? or do i need some other langugae?
This depends on your php configuration. If you are running on a shard host, there are typically some limits on file-upload-size (often 8MB max) and script runtimes. If your SQL Export ist bigger than your limit, you have to split it in seperate files. So    basically PHP is enough.

Q. is raw PHP code enough or do i have to use any framework like zend or cakephp?
I personally prefer learning the language first and than have a look at the frameworks. If you just want to get the thing done  you could use a framework like cake or synfony. Both are good frameworks to start with. Zend Framework and EZComponents provide more flexibility in the way how to use them, but less "automated" things like generating backend forms from db-tables (scaffolding) - I see them more as component libraries than frameworks.

bye
Andreas

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 08:33 AM »
I can confirm that I have those two book too and they are very good.

You might also want to check out http://www.totallyphp.co.uk/ which isn't so good in the tutorial section but does have some example scripts including MySQL access. It also has some useful links.

http://www.php.net/ has documentation and also points to site with lots of scripts that you may find useful to download and work through.

Finally http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp has some good tutorials (and the homes site has great tutorials for many types of web scripting).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 08:42 AM by Carol Haynes »

ChalkTrauma

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • ::41554D::
    • View Profile
    • DreamCycle Studios
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Have you looked at Server2Go? I like it a bit better than XAMPP:

http://www.server2go-web.de/
'Behold! It is not over unknown seas but back over well-known years that your quest must go; back to the bright strange things of infancy and the quick sun-drenched glimpses of magic that old scenes brought to wide young eyes.'

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:31 AM »
This depends on your php configuration. If you are running on a shard host, there are typically some limits on file-upload-size (often 8MB max) and script runtimes. If your SQL Export ist bigger than your limit, you have to split it in seperate files.

To get around the limit I use BigDump.  Works great - at least on the 50+Meg import script that I run through it.

arunpawar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 03:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Let me make things clear by stating my requirement:

1.As per ur observations,my host space is baout to increase that means if i opt for shared host later i may face trubles with PHP.Then is it possible to switch to dedicated server.maybe that depends on host?

2.I know bit of PHP but nt in depth as i have servlet,jsp and EJB background but i can't afford to use them in this project as i m giving this project back to college.so PHP is the only easiest opensource option.i got the books mentioned aove from library,is there any suggestion on premade-CMS code that i can use with this project?

3.I don't know how to install CakePHP and zend with XAMPP know any place for it?I'm planing to use either of them cause this will help even if this porject size gets increase.

pleas let me know ur views.

crono

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 08:24 AM »
Hi,

1) Switching hosts shouldn't be a problem, as long as you have access to your files. Just backup locally and re-upload it to you new host - this shouldn't affect your php code at all (except for some DB credentials)

2) PHP has a lot of great cms. Which suites your needs best you have to evaluate by yourself. Here the usual suspects:
Disclaimer: I wrote my diploma about a project around typo3, but I tested all the cms on the beforehand.

• Typo3 (www.typo3.org) T3 is not easy to start with, but when you get the concepts behind it, it is most likely the most sophisticated open source cms. It is huge in Europe.
  • Drupal (www.drupal.org) is aimed on the more "Web 2.0"-ish projects (like Blogs or communities). It is particularly large in the US, and would be my pick if i have to do some "social site"
  • Joomla (www.joomla.org) - the cms formally know as Mambo - is a multi purpose CMS - aimed at medium sized websites. I personally didn't liked the handling.
If you have a Java background you should consider looking at Ruby (on Rails) - cake is heavily inspired by rails - or some Python webframework like Django or Zope - because they are more OOP than PHP5, which should help you to make the transition from Java (they are also open source).

3) You could place the files where you want, as long as you make sure to include the path to your php-include-path. The include path is a list of directories where the PHP interpreter looks for files. My typically Zend Setup looks like this:

localhost/
    www/ <-- this is the place where the public accessible php, html, js and css files reside - it's the document root
    app/ <-- there goes my custom phpcode - it's outside of the document root because of security issues
    lib/
        zend/ <-- I put the complete framework here

than I set the include-path in my index.php file (lies in www) with

Code: PHP [Select]
  1. ini_set('include_path', ini_get('include_path') . PATH_SEPARATOR . '../lib');
you could also set this setting directly in the php.ini file (which is a better solution on the performance side) but you often haven't write access to this file on shaded hosts.

for Cake I couldn't tell you, because I haven't done a "real world" project with it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 08:27 AM by crono »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 04:37 AM »
I've simmilar situation.i'm also looking for the website using PHP but i want to design article publishing site for the computer

institute i was in.They want to put the excercise and code  answers for the student to get from site.In that case i have no idea

how to create database for MySQL (I know typical database and table creation) cause i don't understand the layout in this

case,and how to retrive such layout with PHP.

i want database to have :
*post title
* article summary
*article paragraphs (May contain images/text/code)
* also want to put syntax highlight feature for code that i want to enterin article content.
How can i create MySQL databse for it,so that PHP can retrieve the information and displayes in the same order.I'm using

XAMPP  1.6.3.a for this practice.
Do u have any pointers for this?

If CakePHP or Zend suitable for this project? is it possible to upload the content from my XAMPP folder to web server? do i

have to change any code while doing that? or do i have to make PHP installer to check database name and server name?
Please let me know how these things work.

arunpawar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 09:55 AM »
hmmm...
i think u can go for cakephp or zend.this can be tricky a start but once u go thru that everything starts working and u spend ur time with ideas than coding  :D
it happens with me... :-[