topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wide Open License  (Read 5464 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Wide Open License
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:04 AM »
The Wide Open License

I'm kind of bringing this over from a thread in the Developer's Corner... It's kind of related as this license does a nice job of saying why the GPL is isn't useful in some circumstances:

Consider, for example, if you had a embedded software application project consisting of 75% of your own specialized, proprietary software combined with 25% generic, free/open software. If the latter uses the GPL, your 75% now becomes free and open. But since that doesn't make any business sense, you and your team decide instead that it's just a lot easier to reinvent that 25% of the wheel yourself.

You can see in this example, that the use of the GPL has had the net effect of discouraging the use of otherwise-useful open-source software in an inherently commercial/closed application. So, rather than provide users with "freedom", the GPL has, in fact, inadvertantly "restricted" them from using it. You then have to re-invent the wheel--which is just plain wasteful.

Therefore, for commercial projects, a license with more "freedom" is needed. Rather than free the software, the WOL frees the user. (And let's face it, who deserves freedom more: the software or its user?!) Instead of assuring that "anyone who redistributes the software, with or without changes, must pass along the freedom to further copy and change it", the WOL assumes we live in a more benign world in which enlightened self-interest leads people to voluntarily share significant improvements with the community when that makes sense, or else they just quietly ship their tailored code. (And that really doesn't hurt anybody.)

We believe that making open-source software easy in a legal sense will open up its use. We call this principle "wide open".

Very nicely put.

In any event, it's an interesting license that kind of reminds me a bit of the WTFPL... ;)  (A license that is definitely NSFW.)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wide Open License
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:13 AM »
the WOL assumes we live in a more benign world in which enlightened self-interest leads people to voluntarily share significant improvements with the community

can someone direct me to this planet? how much does it cost to go there? do cute girls live there? how is the weather?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:22 AM »
the WOL assumes we live in a more benign world in which enlightened self-interest leads people to voluntarily share significant improvements with the community

can someone direct me to this planet? how much does it cost to go there? do cute girls live there? how is the weather?

ROFLMAO~!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 11:16 PM »
Found another reference to the WOL elsewhere. Just search the page for WOL here. Seems like it's only used in DSP though.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 03:40 AM »

It costs Bill Gates fortune X2 to go, the weather is exactly what you don't want - EVERY DAY, and the best looking (dare I say, Godess) is Ugly Betty.  It is still worth it! :P