ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

free email without frequent login requirement - recommendations?

<< < (2/2)

nudone:
thanks for the helpful suggestions everyone. i've set a gmail account up for them. they are likely to actually forget what email provider they are using after they've been abroad so picking an obvious one like google will help them remember - i hope.

this couple would win the award for most clueless pc users ever - bearing in mind they have had a computer since the windows 95 days.

i've made a new post about them here.

Deozaan:
thanks for the helpful suggestions everyone. i've set a gmail account up for them. they are likely to actually forget what email provider they are using after they've been abroad so picking an obvious one like google will help them remember - i hope.

this couple would win the award for most clueless pc users ever - bearing in mind they have had a computer since the windows 95 days.

i've made a new post about them here.
-nudone (March 01, 2008, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Be sure to set up an e-mail client on their PC and set up POP download so they can just open it and go. Have it remember their password and stuff. They'll never need to remember who their provider is except to give out their e-mail address to people.

nudone:
umm, i realise i should have done that now.

i'll have to think about whether it's worth doing it as they'll only probably send about 3 emails a year.

J-Mac:
Gmail is definitely the best bet for them.

I have a Fastmail paid account, but their "free" account is really nothing more than a demo at this point; more of a sampler to see if you like it. Too limited to be of much use otherwise.

With Gmail you can even give them separate accounts. And if they need ongoing help and/or monitoring with their email, you can see if they will agree to let you have their password(s) and then set the Gmail account up as IMAP. That way they won't lose messages in error - they'll always be on the server, and you can access them anytime without downloading them from the server, therefore getting them before the couple can.

Jim

rjbull:
Another to check is GMX, although they are larger, they are making a USA push-Steven Avery (February 29, 2008, 08:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

GMX have recently returned to the UK too.

'throwaway' (temporary) web accounts if you don't want to give out your normal email.

--- End quote ---

Spamgourmet is another approach for that, but looks too computerish for nudone's couple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version