Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 22, 2014, 08:17:56 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Peer-2-Peer app  (Read 2470 times)
Codebyte
Supporting Member

"Premature Optimization is the root of all evil."

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:55:08 AM »

Alright, so I have been thinking about creating an application that can use a socket to communicate text and files and things... I have been wandering what component to use... I use the new RAD CodeGear C++ Builder... Im not to familiar with networking but all of the applications that I have been developing usually use an additional server application to do anything... Is there a socket (UDP, TCP/IP...etc) that supports these capabilities and which is the best to use? I dont want to run into errors with firewalls or anything either... What kind of work am i getting myself into? Whats the best way to go into this? Any ideas?

CodeByter.com - http://www.codebyter.com
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »

You will run into trouble with firewalls/routers, not much to do about it. BitTorrent has shown that TCP is just fine for peer-to-peer stuff, you don't need UDP (many people end up basically implementing TCP ontop of UDP, so don't bother unless you know you need UDP).

- carpe noctem
jazper
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:30:08 AM »

Good freeware components outside of CodeGears native VCL socket components or if you want to avoid Winsock API then ICS (http://www.overbyte.be) and if you are willing to pay for commercial components the IP*Works (http://www.nsoftware.com) components are very good as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.028s | Server load: 0.03 ]