ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

USB Flash Drives: What to look for or avoid.

<< < (4/6) > >>

ljbirns:
 For what it is worth,  I bought a  no name ( super flash drive is printed on it) at a computer show about 18 mos ago. 4 GB  USB 2.0  I paid $ 35.00.  I don't know how fast it reads or writes but it is fast enough for me and the price was right (Oct  2006 ).  I loaded portable apps on it Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office. All work fine.  U3 drives  take up a lot of space for the " U3 " function . (The U3 drive  part doesn't work on  my wife's Vista machine ) I don't think U3 is worth it.

tomos:
Thanks for the link. I'll obviously take your word on the speed difference since you own both but here's something interesting I read in another review...

The red Flash Voyager GT that landed on my desk was pretty much the same as the blue Flash Voyager that was sent to me in February. If you can find yourself a blue regular Flash Voyager manufactured toward the end of 2006 you might get lucky as you will be paying the price for a regular Flash Voyager, but actually getting a Flash Voyager GT!
--- End quote ---
Source
-nosh (February 26, 2008, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've read some negative user reports about the older one - "physical" problems with the casing etc - I think it was on Amazon

nosh:
Thanks tomos, I'll be sure to check it out - from my initial inquiries at the shops today, the newer red/GT ones cost three times as much as the regular ones so I'm fairly certain of buying the latter. Neither are in stock so I'll probably have to wait a couple of days anyway.

f0dder:
Do keep in mind that the GT models are plenty faster, that's why you're paying a premium for those.

oldfart:
Just this morning I found a free download at PC World called HD Tach.  It is designed to test the speed of USB flash drives.  You can find it here:  http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,69656-page,1-c,downloads/description.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version