topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FARR- how do I do this...?  (Read 4908 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR- how do I do this...?
« on: March 17, 2008, 02:42 AM »
Forgive me if this has been asked before but I haven't been able to find it if it has.  I am wanting t assign certain programs a certain number that they would always use anytime FARR is opened.  That is Mozilla Firefox would be number 1, Thunderbird is number 2 and so on.  I normally used only 3-6 programs on a regular basis and only occasionally use it to search for others.  I have tried to assign extra points to the score but that hasn't worked either.  

What am I missing here ? :(

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR- how do I do this...?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 02:44 AM »
OOPS, I forgot to say that I am using version 2.00.145

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 03:22 AM »
easy solution here, though its something most people also don't know how to do:
  • put the exact list of programs you want to show when farr window pops up inside an alias of your own creation.
  • i.e. create a new alias and add the programs you want to it (there are a couple of ways to do this, by right clicking in results, or dragging and dropping into the alias window, or browsing, etc.  see help file for more info).
  • you can reorder the items in an alias however you want, and you can even provide custom captions for them.
  • ok now you have an alias with the programs of your choosing, in the order of your choosing.
  • so now to make it show in the farr window each time farr is brought on screen, go to the hotkeys tab and edit the hotkey trigger you normally use (or make a new one just for this), and put the name of the alias in your "Text for Search Edit Box" field.  You probably also want to choose "Highlight search edit text" to make it easier to overwrite this default.
  • all done!

I will note one thing that has been suggested by others and which i want to add.  This method fills the search box with some starting text (the alias name), and then highlights it so you can start typing a new search to override it right away.  while not functionally different, some have requested (and i concur) an option that doesnt actually show the initial text in the search box, since that would be a bit cleaner looking.  it's on my todo list.

let me know if you get this trick to work!
it's actually a really fun trick to use with FARR if you configure different hotkeys to bring up different starting lists.

ps.
for reallllly advanced FARR users, you could even make an alias show initially which just acted like a list of submenus, each of which showed another list when triggered (see the dosearch special alias command).

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 04:47 AM »
FARR can still amaze me with some incredible features  :Thmbsup: