ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

New RAM tech quadruples capacity!

(1/3) > >>

f0dder:
This is pretty cute, if you have massive memory needs :P. Sure, you'll (currently) be stuck with DDR2-667 speed, but you can get a system with 256 gigs of memory and possibly avoid going to the harddrive for your database...

"We had to make our chip look like a DRAM to the memory controller, and like a memory controller to the DRAMs," said Suresh Rajan, the MetaRAM co-founder whom I talked to about the company's technology. This memory traffic routing messes with the DDR2 DRAM timings quite a bit, so the MetaRAM chipset's dynamic command scheduling circuitry ends up doing a kind of "out-of-order execution" with the flow of reads and writes so that the DIMM can operate at a full 667MHz without any glitches.
--- End quote ---

wreckedcarzz:
If that works for traditional desktop PCs, I want some, and I want some BAD. Plus, just imagine what we will be asking for when we buy new PCs:

"Yes, I want just 500TB of RAM- I need to keep costs low" ;D

tinjaw:
This should help boost the adoption of virtual machines. I bet we will see 4 x Quad CPUs with this type of memory. You can pack a lot of computing powers in a little bit of physical space with such a configuration.

f0dder:
This should help boost the adoption of virtual machines. I bet we will see 4 x Quad CPUs with this type of memory. You can pack a lot of computing powers in a little bit of physical space with such a configuration.-tinjaw (February 26, 2008, 04:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yup, Virtual machines could benefit a lot from this, also by having more aggressive disk caching and avoiding harddisk thrashing. And database servers - even moderately large databases could be kept mostly in-RAM (obviously you need some good UPS to prevent loss on power-off :)).

For home systems, you're better off with less but faster RAM, though. I have 8 gigabytes in my own box, and that's totally overkill and I hardly ever push that limit :)

Lashiec:
* Lashiec orders a few motherboards :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version