topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: XPPro SP3  (Read 79886 times)

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XPPro SP3
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2008, 12:39 AM »
Can anyone recomend economical(low price) online website  where we could just buy a
XP SP3 product key and use it with above (nudone's) ISO link ?

SKA

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Nudone kindly sent me this link ...

Download Unmodified ISOs of WinXP SP3

These are full install media for SP3 (various languages and Pro and Home versions).

The main advantage of these is that they are not slipstreamed versions - they are initial install discs went burned. You will need this version if you wish to install Windows XP SP3 without entering a serial code (thus getting a 30 days full trial version which can be activated later).
-Carol Haynes (May 05, 2008, 08:21 AM)

The problem with these is that a 30 day trial does me no good if my key doesn't work. I downloaded the SP3 VL ISO, since I used to have an MSDN subscription and got XP SP2 with a Volume License. I thought it would work with the SP3 disc but apparently it doesn't. So now I'm back to trying to figure out how to get SP2 to update to SP3 without destroying Windows/Microsoft Update. . .

EDIT: See below for update.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:17 PM by Deozaan »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2008, 07:50 PM »
The problem with these is that a 30 day trial does me no good if my key doesn't work. I downloaded the SP3 VL ISO, since I used to have an MSDN subscription and got XP SP2 with a Volume License. I thought it would work with the SP3 disc but apparently it doesn't. So now I'm back to trying to figure out how to get SP2 to update to SP3 without destroying Windows/Microsoft Update. . .
That sounds weird - unless somebody has grabbed & pirated your SP2 VLK (massively), it ought to work with SP3? Contact Microsoft!
- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2008, 07:58 PM »
That sounds weird - unless somebody has grabbed & pirated your SP2 VLK (massively), it ought to work with SP3? Contact Microsoft!

I haven't shared my license with anyone. In fact it still works to install SP2. Unless I'm thinking of something else and I don't really need the VL version.

The deal was that I was allowed to install it on something like 5 or 10 different machines.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2008, 10:18 PM »
I downloaded the non VL version of Windows XP SP3 and I was able to successfully activate windows. So it all works.

Thanks for the help!

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2008, 12:19 PM »
I downloaded the non VL version of Windows XP SP3 and I was able to successfully activate windows. So it all works.

I also downloaded the non-VL version from here, but now I can't activate it.
How did you do it? Did it accept your product key during the installation? Mine didn't, I tried again right after installing and it still doesn't, not even by phone.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2008, 08:24 PM »
I also downloaded the non-VL version from here, but now I can't activate it.
How did you do it? Did it accept your product key during the installation? Mine didn't, I tried again right after installing and it still doesn't, not even by phone.

Yeah during installation it asked for the key and accepted it. Then when I got the wifi drivers installed I activated it via the internet.

Make sure you're downloading the right version for your key. XP Pro vs. XP Home.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2008, 09:38 PM »
This discussion about activating the Volume License (VL) version of WinXP is a little confusing - the VL version of XP does not need to be activated.  The installer gets the key, and that's it - there's no communication with Microsoft.  If the key is valid, the installation is 'activated'.

Microsoft does however blacklist VL keys that it finds have gotten out into the wild.  That blacklisting can occur in a service pack update or via the infamous "Genuine Advantage" check.

There may be some confusion regarding non-VL WinXP keys that you get from MSDN - those keys allow you activate something like 10 times, so they may seem like they're VL keys because they allow for multiple activations.

Note that the volume licensing mechanism for Vista is completely different and requires that a site have infrastructure (ie., a validation service) to support the licensing scheme.

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2008, 05:49 AM »
My original Windows is XP Pro SP2 OEM. I downloaded the Pro Retail version since I only had two options and none of them was OEM.

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2008, 06:16 AM »
Worse still, the problem I described here regarding the Quick Launch bar and the folder windows not remembering their settings is back. And I haven't used system restore this time, so that's not the culprit.

Has anyone else experienced this before?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:18 AM by Cynic »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2008, 06:34 AM »
OEM validation is different to standard validation. You will need to use the code printed on the base of your computer (on an MS sticker) to install Windows and then you will need to call MS to get it to validate.

The code usually used to validate OEM is built into the BIOS and only works with the OEM disc supplied by the manufacturer.

Cynic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2008, 06:43 AM »
OEM validation is different to standard validation. You will need to use the code printed on the base of your computer (on an MS sticker) to install Windows and then you will need to call MS to get it to validate.

The code usually used to validate OEM is built into the BIOS and only works with the OEM disc supplied by the manufacturer.
-Carol Haynes (May 20, 2008, 06:34 AM)

IOW, I can't use the downloaded image, I must use my slipstreamed disc, made with my OEM CD and the SP3 executable, right?
At least that one allowed validation through the Internet, and since it seems I'll have the Quick Launch problem either way, it's one less thing to worry about.
This will be the third reinstall in three days, I already know my product key by heart  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2008, 11:38 AM »
Can anyone recomend economical(low price) online website  where we could just buy a
XP SP3 product key and use it with above (nudone's) ISO link ?

I know there's an offer like that from microsoft for Vista - well, if you have a pirated version you can buy a key (dont know will it only work for pirated versions) - in fact I think I read it's the cheapest way to buy Vista...

Anyone know if that's possible for XP?

(Actually I do know someone who just got a new pc & an aquaintance of theirs put a pirate version of xp on it - they're unable to update & already have major problem with viruses - they havent a clue about computers but at this stage they'll probably have to get the real thing & reinstall)
Tom

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2008, 12:58 PM »
i've not had to make a purchase myself but...

if you install one of the xp sp3 versions that were mentioned earlier there is an option built in that allows you to buy a valid key from microsoft.

simply install without using a serial.

then go to the windows update website, here you'll have to use the 'windows genuine advantage' thingy.

at this point you will be provided with the option to pay to validate the install - i'm looking at the page now and it says £63.43 for windows xp home.

i think you can purchase oem versions of xp home for a little less than that if you look around (overlclockers.co.uk have it for less than £57).

i'm assuming the same process is available for the pro versions of xp - if not using the volume licensing version.

edit:
the pro version is £95.47 using the above method (overclockers.co.uk pro oem version £89.29)

(also, the oem versions are stated as being sp2 - maybe they've not updated the website to say sp3 or maybe they just don't stock sp3 yet.)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 01:13 PM by nudone »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2008, 02:33 PM »
I'm not sure but I don't think MS are distributing SP3 discs as they planned to stop XP sales to the public (and OEM) from June. Not sure if that is still the case but I think it was one of the reasons they were making the ISO version of XP SP3 available for download.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2008, 03:06 PM »
thanks nudone,
OEM versions available on ebay.de quite/very cheap too :-\
Tom

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2008, 07:52 AM »
To All

My enquiry was for a new PC that I am building.

An SP3 OEM disk is available from newegg (but they dont ship overseas, I am not in USA) :
 http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E16832116515

I just think in this Internet age, one should be able to buy just a key instead of full CD/DVD(media)+shipping fees etc - wonder what is so vital in getting an actual CD/DVD ? One has to slipstream further patches anyway even to a SP3 CD
yes ?

SKA 

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2008, 08:26 AM »
For some reason sp3 solved a problem that I had which was whenever i had a lot of harddisk activity my pc stalled more or less. I had the latest drivers installed but the problem wouldn't go away however with sp3 it is finally sorted, which means that some applications / games that trash the HD now start many seconds quicker and system performance has increased generally. YAY

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2008, 08:28 AM »
I just think in this Internet age, one should be able to buy just a key instead of full CD/DVD(media)+shipping fees etc - wonder what is so vital in getting an actual CD/DVD ? One has to slipstream further patches anyway even to a SP3 CD

I was thinking along the same lines when looking at winXP offers on ebay -
mind you no-one would trust anyone on ebay to simply pay for a number, I wouldnt anyway

Maybe MS dont allow it somehow - after all you need your sticker on your machine :) in case they get a chance to check up on you physically... knock knock:
who's there?
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2008, 06:21 PM »
MuvEnum Address Bar is the ultimate replacement for the missing address bar in Windows XP SP3. It recreates the experience of the original address bar with auto-completion while adding many new features that allow you to quickly open webpages, navigate to favorites, start programs, search the internet, and more from you Windows Taskbar!

http://www.muvenum.c...e/#muvenumaddressbar