topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: XPPro SP3  (Read 79893 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XPPro SP3
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2008, 04:31 PM »
  • the TaskBar address Toolbar is still removed (as in the release candidates) - shame but I can live with it. You can always use Windows+R instead
-Carol Haynes (April 24, 2008, 08:13 PM)
You can get it back here:
http://www.systemsab...ress-bar-go-missing/

There are a number of ways of dealing with this without using third party tools:

1) Don't bother with the address bar just use START > RUN (or keyboard shortcut Windows+R) and enter the URL there - provided you include www. or http:// if it doesn't use www. the default browser will open and load the page.

2) If youi have WDS installed (if you have Office 2007 you probably will anyway) just use the search bar on the taskbar. Works fine.

3) Copy browsereui.dll from an SP2 installation into Windows/System32 folder and get back your old address bar. I haven't tried this but no other side effects have been reported.

4) On a per session basis (ie. it doesn't survive logoff/logon) go to Start and left drag 'My Computer' to the top of the screen, right click and select ToolBars>Address and then drag the address bar back to the bottom and close the My Computer toolbar. (An alternative, and useful, workaround for this is to drag My Computer from the Start menu to the top of the screen and right click and select AutoHide from the menu - you van then have a drive pop down tool bar at the top of the screen and easily add the address bar to it when required).

I can't for the life of me see how the address bar (which opened the default browser - not IE) violates the anti trust agreement - esp. as it is still there in Vista SP1 !!!)

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2008, 04:32 AM »
SP3 installed smoothly .... got wiped of the drive smoothly as well.

Not that I had any serious problems. I'm just a bit conservative and take the abbreviation 'PC' literally. That means in my case that I have to replace, overwrite and patch a few system files. That usually would have M$'s file protection kick in. Nothing kicked in after SP3 but my changes wouldn't stick either. I'll have to wait if others have the same problem as I installed it on just one machine and don't want to generalize.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2008, 04:36 AM »
It did kick in when I modded TCPIP.SYS ???

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2008, 04:54 AM »
It did kick in when I modded TCPIP.SYS ???
-Carol Haynes (May 02, 2008, 04:36 AM)
When you say so I'll try it again. :Thmbsup: I have two long weekends coming up but not enough computers to fool around with. My notebook is still at HP cos I live in a country where replacing a battery and a charger, still under guaranty, takes two weeks. :o

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2008, 05:11 AM »
Before you install it run MSCONFIG and stop all startup items and non-MS services from loading at boot. Then restart you machine. This will make sure you haven't got anything MS can complain about running during the update. Once everything is finished, rebooted etc. and settled go back to MSCONFIG and select 'Normal Startup' on the first tab and reboot.

Good luck.

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2008, 06:12 AM »
Before you install it run MSCONFIG and stop all startup items and non-MS services from loading at boot. Then restart you machine. This will make sure you haven't got anything MS can complain about running during the update. Once everything is finished, rebooted etc. and settled go back to MSCONFIG and select 'Normal Startup' on the first tab and reboot.

Good luck.
-Carol Haynes (May 02, 2008, 05:11 AM)
I'll have to wait for my notebook though. The PC I'm typing this from is most probably 'overpatched'. The other machine wouldn't know what to do with SP3 (Linux). I thought of installing it on some of the computers at my uni (State). They're all registered to Mr/Ms iLLusion. Hope they crash beyond recovery.
I'm very well aware of where I live and what Thailand is famous for. I can even understand if a private individual installs fake software as many people would have to save a year to buy the real stuff. But the government? End of rant. Sorry, very sorry for being off topic.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2008, 08:21 AM »
My notebook is still at HP cos I live in a country where replacing a battery and a charger, still under guaranty, takes two weeks.

Two weeks? Luxury! I've had this done on three different notebooks in Canada and it's never taken less than three weeks. OTOH, I had a systemboard replaced in a notebook when I lived in the UK and they picked it up (in Canada I've had to ship notebooks myself or take them into a store to have them shipped), repaired it and returned it within 3 days!

EDIT: replaced a few errant words  :o
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 08:30 AM by Darwin »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2008, 08:33 AM »
3 weeks ... luxury

ASUS(UK) take up to 12 weeks to replace a mobo under warranty (and you have to pay the shipping costs).

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2008, 09:50 AM »
12 weeks... luxury !

I have...  ;D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2008, 10:45 AM »
12 weeks... luxury !

I have...  ;D

I've been waiting eight years for the return of my abacus  ;)

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2008, 06:35 PM »
Those 2 weeks means that it won't be less than that. Once the time is up it can be anything including 'Sorry, we can't find your lapdog anymore, care to buy a new one?' :P

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2008, 06:48 AM »
... if SP3 already is available in Danish as well, ...

I am getting very anxious to know  if
there will be localized (Danish) full installation CDs as well, for XP Home SP3,
as my version seriously needs a repair!

Do you knowยง icon_question.gif

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2008, 06:58 AM »
Not sure they are distributing any SP3 full install media in any language. From what I gathered they are making ISO files available for download (at least in English).

Your best bet is to slipstream the SP3 pack into your existing CD when a Danish version is released.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2008, 07:28 AM »
Just downloaded XP SP3 (English) from Microsoft

Checked files size with the version from MajorGeeks and it is a different size from the version I have on my hard disc. Same KB number, same build number? Has MS updated the SP3 installer or have I got a duff original download from MajorGeeks?

Could some kind soul download the MS version above and check byte sizes with the MajorGeeks file and see if I am wrong?

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2008, 08:41 AM »
There is the *nosh grabs the opportunity to use big words he doesn't really understand* MS Dynamics RMS incompatibility issue they could have fixed (and maintained the same build nos?...naah!) Which has the later modified timestamp?

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2008, 08:58 AM »
Just downloaded XP SP3 (English) from Microsoft

Checked files size with the version from MajorGeeks and it is a different size from the version I have on my hard disc. Same KB number, same build number? Has MS updated the SP3 installer or have I got a duff original download from MajorGeeks?

Could some kind soul download the MS version above and check byte sizes with the MajorGeeks file and see if I am wrong?
-Carol Haynes (May 04, 2008, 07:28 AM)
Your link and http://www.majorgeek...ce_Pack_3_d4323.html are both 316 MB on my site of the world, same number as well.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2008, 03:34 PM »
Oops - I must have been checking against RC2 - the MajorGeeks file IS identical to the MS one. (Sorry for the confusion).

Strangely the RC2 file I have has all the same 'Properties' characteristics as the final release versions.

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2008, 07:00 PM »
Oops - I must have been checking against RC2 - the MajorGeeks file IS identical to the MS one. (Sorry for the confusion).

Strangely the RC2 file I have has all the same 'Properties' characteristics as the final release versions.
-Carol Haynes (May 04, 2008, 03:34 PM)
Well, I downloaded both (again) and I wouldn't be surprised if RC2 was just slightly different or not different at all.
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers experience with the operating system.
-M$
I don't think they have done much.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2008, 07:02 PM »
What do people expect? The last SP of any OS is always a minor collection of all existing updates.

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2008, 07:33 PM »
What do people expect?

Some sort of useful tray clock (Linux style).
The last SP of any OS is always a minor collection of all existing updates.
They had to give in once or twice or ... why not once more. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that Vista becomes a second ME. At first M$ was very loud and fast to throw Win2k out but then........, Vista on all new PCs and notebooks but then...............

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2008, 07:36 PM »
And you expect them to make a change like that to an OS which is nearing its EOL?

biox

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2008, 07:56 PM »
And you expect them to make a change like that to an OS which is nearing its EOL?
I'm too old to still 'expect' anything  :D

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2008, 08:21 AM »
Nudone kindly sent me this link ...

Download Unmodified ISOs of WinXP SP3

These are full install media for SP3 (various languages and Pro and Home versions).

The main advantage of these is that they are not slipstreamed versions - they are initial install discs went burned. You will need this version if you wish to install Windows XP SP3 without entering a serial code (thus getting a 30 days full trial version which can be activated later).

[Edit ...

Just saw on the link which ones you are having problems with. I wonder is this is an issue with Microsoft Update rather than Windows Update? I have you tried reverting to Windows Update and use the Office update site for your office products? ]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 03:36 AM by Carol Haynes »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2008, 11:19 AM »
12 nice pages overviewing SP3's contents:

* OverviewOf_Windows_XP_ServicePack_3.pdf (323.21 kB - downloaded 874 times.)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2008, 11:36 AM »
Cool, thanks for the pointer, Curt  :Thmbsup: