ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XPPro SP3

<< < (9/19) > >>

tomos:
I'm visiting a friend who is reconnecting to the netz after a long time
(a year and a half & they only had dial up before that)
I'm wondering in order to bring their XP uptodate do ye think that SP3 would be the best option?

Carol Haynes:
I would say if it hasn't been updated for a long time SP3 is the best and quickest solution.

I noticed a slowdown in reboot times when I installed it but that went away after the first reboot (I presume it was doing some sort of housekeeping after rebooting the first time). Not noticed any other issues.

nosh:
I've installed it on two PCs now and am not having any issues with startup time on either, the first reboot doesn't really count. No noticeable difference in performance either - what was that figure people were throwing around? 40%? Bwaha! ;D

Slightly inconsistent behaviour though, on one PC it gave me a screen offering to enable auto-updates and switched on the firewall/AV nags that I'd disabled years back. On the second PC it didn't do any of this but there's a little Messenger icon showing in the tray that I'll have to weed out tomorrow.

tomos, that's pretty much all it seems to be for - getting windows uptodate. Except, it's MS - so, backup!  :)

f0dder:
I've installed it on two PCs now and am not having any issues with startup time on either, the first reboot doesn't really count. No noticeable difference in performance either - what was that figure people were throwing around? 40%? Bwaha! ;D-nosh (April 28, 2008, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wasn't that based almost exclusively on some very specific benchmark of MSXML? :)

lanux128:
via gHacks.net: Official Windows XP Service Pack 3 Download Links. useful for off-line updates and slipstreaming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version