ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XPPro SP3

<< < (11/19) > >>

Carol Haynes:

* the TaskBar address Toolbar is still removed (as in the release candidates) - shame but I can live with it. You can always use Windows+R instead-Carol Haynes (April 24, 2008, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
You can get it back here:
http://www.systemsabuse.com/2007/12/27/xp-service-pack-3-sp3-where-did-my-toolbars-address-bar-go-missing/
-edbro (April 29, 2008, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are a number of ways of dealing with this without using third party tools:

1) Don't bother with the address bar just use START > RUN (or keyboard shortcut Windows+R) and enter the URL there - provided you include www. or http:// if it doesn't use www. the default browser will open and load the page.

2) If youi have WDS installed (if you have Office 2007 you probably will anyway) just use the search bar on the taskbar. Works fine.

3) Copy browsereui.dll from an SP2 installation into Windows/System32 folder and get back your old address bar. I haven't tried this but no other side effects have been reported.

4) On a per session basis (ie. it doesn't survive logoff/logon) go to Start and left drag 'My Computer' to the top of the screen, right click and select ToolBars>Address and then drag the address bar back to the bottom and close the My Computer toolbar. (An alternative, and useful, workaround for this is to drag My Computer from the Start menu to the top of the screen and right click and select AutoHide from the menu - you van then have a drive pop down tool bar at the top of the screen and easily add the address bar to it when required).

I can't for the life of me see how the address bar (which opened the default browser - not IE) violates the anti trust agreement - esp. as it is still there in Vista SP1 !!!)

biox:
SP3 installed smoothly .... got wiped of the drive smoothly as well.

Not that I had any serious problems. I'm just a bit conservative and take the abbreviation 'PC' literally. That means in my case that I have to replace, overwrite and patch a few system files. That usually would have M$'s file protection kick in. Nothing kicked in after SP3 but my changes wouldn't stick either. I'll have to wait if others have the same problem as I installed it on just one machine and don't want to generalize.

Carol Haynes:
It did kick in when I modded TCPIP.SYS ???

biox:
It did kick in when I modded TCPIP.SYS ???
-Carol Haynes (May 02, 2008, 04:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
When you say so I'll try it again. :Thmbsup: I have two long weekends coming up but not enough computers to fool around with. My notebook is still at HP cos I live in a country where replacing a battery and a charger, still under guaranty, takes two weeks. :o

Carol Haynes:
Before you install it run MSCONFIG and stop all startup items and non-MS services from loading at boot. Then restart you machine. This will make sure you haven't got anything MS can complain about running during the update. Once everything is finished, rebooted etc. and settled go back to MSCONFIG and select 'Normal Startup' on the first tab and reboot.

Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version