ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

fixing hard drive errors with WD Diags

<< < (2/3) > >>

techidave:
Whoa!  Sounds like I touched a nerve with fodder about Spinrite. :o  But lets not get into badmouthing others, ok.  The good thing about this particular hard drive is it's a classroom computer used by students, I can just re-ghost it and it will be up and running in short order.

f0dder:
Whoa!  Sounds like I touched a nerve with fodder about Spinrite. :o  But lets not get into badmouthing others, ok.-techidave (February 25, 2008, 08:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, you struck a nerve - I have a real big dislike for false prophets, and I don't want anybody to face a complete drive trashing due to spinrite stress...

techidave:
Ok so this brings another question.  How does what Spinrite does differ than what WD Diags or anyone's elses do??  Hope you can understand that last question.  <grin>

f0dder:
Ok so this brings another question.  How does what Spinrite does differ than what WD Diags or anyone's elses do??  Hope you can understand that last question.  <grin>-techidave (February 25, 2008, 08:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is a very good question, and one I can't answer - simply because Gibson doesn't provide any hard facts, only mumbo-jumbo about magical bit patterns and whatnot. Oh, and spinrite has pretty text-mode graphics including animated sine curves... it does give you an impression it's doing something really profound, doesn't it? Personally I prefer hard facts, rather than tv-shop style circle-jerk praise emails ;)

But I'll leave the topic, the people who have had data "saved by spinrite" will obviously claim that it does something magical that other tools can't. Like, setting retrycount=infinity ;)

techidave:
maybe that is why he has never gotten around to writing a new manual??  Personally, I never understood his mumbo jumbo and actually haven't used the program for a year or two since I could never really verify it did much. 

Looks like trying the mfg's software may be the best way to go when a drive is going bad.  Since we are a small public school in the USA, money is always tight. 

During the summer when I usually run MemTest and reghost each student machine, I may have to add the mfg's diagnostic test to this project.  Maybe it will save some headaches as the new school year progress.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version