topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: USB Keyboard not available during windows boot sequence  (Read 12157 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
USB Keyboard not available during windows boot sequence
« on: February 25, 2008, 06:37 AM »
I 'upgraded' my keyboard a while ago from a normal AT style keyboard to a USB type.

It all works fine with one exception: if I need to use boot time utilities I can't use my keyboard.

When my system boots from scratch the keyboard is recognised by the BIOS and works fine to select an OS etc. or use BIOS utilities. However, once Windows starts to boot (the animated progress bar stage) the keyboard lights go out again and don't come back on until the 'Loading Personal settings' notice appears. This means that I can't use the keyboard when I use CHKDSK or PerfectDisk etc. as boot time utilities. It doesn't generally matter but if I am faced with a press a key to continue prompt I can't without connecting my old AT keyboard and rebooting again!

Anyone any ideas why the USB keyboard doesn't respond during the boot sequence and any way to fix it?

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: USB Keyboard not available during windows boot sequence
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:41 AM »
Have u enabled legacy usb support in the BIOS?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:46 AM »
Not sure I haven't looked at the BIOS for ages, I think it was enabled. I'll check next time I reboot.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:10 AM »
upgrade the motherboard bios if you can.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Upgraded BIOS to last version available and it made no difference.

I think the problem is that Windows initialises its own USB drivers but there is a gap in the sequence where the keyboard is unavailable - I notice my PS2 mouse also flashes off and on at the same time - but that is pretty instantaneous.

Is there any way of forcing USB hardware initialisation earlier in the boot sequence?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:52 AM »
the other way to handle this is just have a spare tiny ps2 keyboard for when you need it with these tools.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 12:23 PM »
I could do that but it would be nicer to get the USB keyboard doing what is required!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 12:44 PM »
After you upgraded the BIOS did you check the settings to make sure USB devices were enabled or check for legacy support like Wordzilla suggested?

Another possible method of finding an answer is to Google your problem. If other people have had the same problem you can often find other forums with the solution.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Carol,

Try the F5 key and see if that does it. F8 doesn't work with an Asus motherboard, at least with the American Megatrends BIOS; they made it F5 instead - for who knows what reason.  Also, if the F5 doesn't help on your PC, try waiting a bit longer in the bootup sequence.  Like after the bootup screen - checking devices, etc. - appears, then hit F8, several times, if necessary.

I also discovered, when I found the F8 key problem, that once you have a USB keyboard or mouse installed, P/S2 mouse will no longer work. (Not sure about the keyboard, though) Wasted a measly $5 on a Logitech serial mouse.

Worth a try or two.

Jim

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 12:58 PM »
Not sure I haven't looked at the BIOS for ages, I think it was enabled. I'll check next time I reboot.

Try disabling it and see what happens (have a PS/2 keyboard handy in case the USB version doesn't work in the BIOS settings with legacy support disabled).  Your BIOS screen options might still work (though you'd probably have trouble working in MS-DOS  :D).

Another thing to check is if you motherboard chipset drivers are correct/up to date (assuming you're using an on-board USB port).

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 02:00 PM »
Yep - I have legacy support enabled (and MS KB says USB Keyboards need it enabled)

I don't have a problem with F8/F5/Del etc. during POST is is once Windows has started to load so I can't get to Windows Advanced Boot Options or boot time utilities.

I found a lot of articles on MS KB about USB keyboard issues - most of their workarounds seem to be have a PS2 keyboard handy which surely has to be a joke! Luckily my computer supports PS2 but there are mobos around that don't have PS2 support for mouse and keyboard - what are they supposed to do.

The trouble is it isn't a standard USB keyboard - it is a Creative Prodikeys keyboard - otherwise I would simply ise a PS2 adapter.

Anyway it looks like the solution is a spare keyboard - as if there isn't enough crap on my desk as it is!