Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 25, 2014, 08:05:39 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bluescreens and then reboots too quickly for me to read what it says  (Read 5912 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 21, 2008, 02:26:39 PM »

Whoever came up with the idea of having the system crash with a big blue screen with tiny text filling the screen and somewhere on there having a clue to what went wrong, followed by 500 milliseconds of delay and then a computer reboot that clears the screen, is a super genius.  i mean truly that is really something special.

now just for fun, does anyone know a way to figure out what the text might have been on a bluescreen that results in a system reset before you can read it?

ps i've been getting these bluescreens once a week lately and i suspect it's because i was crazy enough to install windows xp 64bit, but that's another matter.
TucknDar
Charter Member

Advanced coder of Nowt

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 02:38:07 PM »

there should be some files in Windows\Minidump with the information from every Bluescreen. They can be read with MS Windows Debugging tools.
nosh
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:39:08 PM »

Check out this thread.

Even if it disobeys the "stop on error" you should be left with a crashdump to analyze
TucknDar
Charter Member

Advanced coder of Nowt

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:39:52 PM »

Also, you might want to check the following "change the value of 'AutoReboot' to equal '1' for automatic reboot, or '0' for disabled."  You'll find it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl
Veign
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 02:59:23 PM »

If the blue screen occurs during the boot process you may want to check out BootVis and see if that gives you any clue.

Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 03:07:59 PM »

Blue screens are always recorded in the event viewer. Check eventvwr.msc (start - run) and look under system. You will see a listing for bug check. The first hex code is the one you want. You can get more detail on the code from the windows debugging tools at microsoft.com

Strength in Knowledge
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 03:12:34 PM »

what i want to know is, why does it take so long to get a response on this forum, i mean it's been amost 50 minutes and only 5 useful replies?
Veign
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 03:31:09 PM »

Blue screens are always recorded in the event viewer. Check eventvwr.msc (start - run) and look under system. You will see a listing for bug check. The first hex code is the one you want. You can get more detail on the code from the windows debugging tools at microsoft.com

And if you want to find more information on an Event check out EventID.net (just made my blog yesterday - leave a comment if it helped).

Veign
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 03:31:24 PM »

what i want to know is, why does it take so long to get a response on this forum, i mean it's been amost 50 minutes and only 5 useful replies?

smiley

Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 03:44:01 PM »

Its called being mousered. Now you know how it feels! HAH!

Strength in Knowledge
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »

i was being sarcastic.
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 04:25:30 PM »

And I was just using a potential opportunity to get a hit in on you!

Strength in Knowledge
wauiler
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 09:14:08 PM »

Bluescreens and then reboots too quickly for me to read what it says

You can fool around for hours trying to change the autorestart on error flag in the registry or....
you can simple record the screens during  boot  with your digital camera using the movie option.   Be sure to record a few seconds past the  blue screen flash.  then upload to another pc and scroll thru the frames until you get to the blue screen. 
tinjaw
Supporting Member

I'm so glad breakbeat techno isn't an illegal drug

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 09:27:26 PM »

Damn mouser. Search your own forum first. I'm pretty sure I have answered that question already.  tongue
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:31:43 PM by tinjaw » Logged

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 12:56:54 PM »

Bluescreens and then reboots too quickly for me to read what it says

You can fool around for hours trying to change the autorestart on error flag in the registry or....
you can simple record the screens during  boot  with your digital camera using the movie option.   Be sure to record a few seconds past the  blue screen flash.  then upload to another pc and scroll thru the frames until you get to the blue screen. 
And you're saying that this is easier than simply turning the autoreboot off? O_o

mouser: do you, by any chance, have an onboard NIC of the Attansic/Atheros brand? I get BSODs whenever I change advanced properties of mine (things like frame size, interrupt moderation, ...) - dunno if it's the chip that's a piece of shite, or the x64 drivers. Other than that, no problems with XP64 here.

Let us know what the BSOD error code is, and whether it mentions a driver name. Also, as TucknDar mentioned, the minidump images contain a lot of useful information as well.

I'm fed up with the onboard NIC because of the BSODs, periodic errors when using a non-1500 frame size (I want gigabit speeds, dammit!), and abysmal performance... so I'm getting a gigabit PCI-e Intel NIC on monday.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 12:58:53 PM by f0dder » Logged

- carpe noctem
rjer2
Participant

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 03:03:16 PM »

Mouser
You can view that blue screen by
making a change in the system
properties.
         Right click mycomputer and
click properties,click advanced at
the top then Startup and Recovery
tab at the bottom of the page.
         Uncheck Automatically Restart
 box, and check write an event
 to the system log.
          In the write debugging
 information box select
kernel memory dump.
It will create a much
 smaller file with all the
 info you need.
          Click ok and
 exit . The next bsod will stop
 so you can look at all the info.
 For as long as you like.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 03:48:24 PM »

thanks everyone for the advice -- the next time it happens i will now be able to see it since i changed the reboot switch, and thanks to you guys i now know about the dump files  thumbs up thumbs up

ps. i guess the auto reboot could be useful if its a remote pc or something.  a MUCH smarter choice would have been to ALWAYS PAUSE on a blue screen for a few seconds.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 08:02:43 PM »

a little late but as rjer2 mentioned, unchecking the auto-restart option could be helpful. also attaching a screenshot.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 04:08:22 AM »

ps. i guess the auto reboot could be useful if its a remote pc or something.  a MUCH smarter choice would have been to ALWAYS PAUSE on a blue screen for a few seconds.
Spot on the sugar, wrt. both points.

- carpe noctem
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 06:49:03 AM »

You can also get extra info from MSKB from the EventViewer just double click the event and then click on the support link. It will open Windows Help with any info available - but also has an automatic search on the left of MS KB.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.064s | Server load: 0.07 ]