ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA Prevent/allow specified keypresses to be received by a program?

(1/3) > >>

appyface:
(I searched the web and this forum, to see if a program like this already exists, but did not find one.  If I missed, please point me to site, threads, etc. thank you!)

Is it possible, to prevent (or allow) any 'key release' event to be seen/not seen by a specified process?  While not interfering with other programs and processes that are watching the keyboard?

I have a program running in background process (WinXP Pro SP2), that monitors the keyboard.  It isn't a keylogger but it does watch for every 'key release' event (such as when alt, shift, letter keys, function keys, combinations of keys, arrows etc. are released), the program may take some action in response.  Unfortunately the program is not configurable as to what 'key releases' it watches or what actions it takes.  (I have written the author of the program to request configuration possibility, but have not yet gotten a reply.)

So in the meantime... is it possible to intercept and prevent or allow this program from seeing specific key release events?

I don't care if I need to specify a "prevent these" or "allow these" list, for my situation it's a tedious list to configure either way.  Helpful would be a wizard that presented a model of a keyboard and one could click on the keys to be considered and added to the prevent (or allow) list:

Thank you for any help or ideas!

jgpaiva:
Could you please give some examples?

Also, i think that depens on what level does that other program you mentioned scan the keyboard, but i think this might be doable.

jazper:
This could be done by injecting a DLL into the process that monitors key strokes and then hook the appropriate API's that are called when key up(WM_KEYUP) happens. 

lanux128:
if you are familiar with Autohotkey then it can be done but only app-specific. as that way, the script will be easier on the CPU usage. e.g. in the example below, the letter 'a' won't work. is this what you're looking for?

--- ---SetTitleMatchMode, 2
#IfWinActive, - notepad
a::Return

appyface:
App-specific is exactly what I want, I want only to affect the one program while still allowing everything else running, to see all keyboard entries.  That script looks like it will do what I want.  I'm not familiar with Autohotkeys, would you please point me to where I can learn about it and how to use it?

Thanks and regards,
--appyface

P.S. Sorry I'm late getting back in here, I was not getting the email subscription notifications that I had replies.  Thanks again.

EDIT: I found the site for AutoHotKey, and will read up.  I am unclear, though, how this script would work?  Do I just loop it forever until I manually terminate it, so it will continually monitor and catch the keystrokes I don't want?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version