topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking to find or build a simple specific app.  (Read 7331 times)

precogmark

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking to find or build a simple specific app.
« on: February 23, 2008, 01:38 PM »
Hey all,

very cool to find this forum. i am an old mac guy who went windows a looong time ago. however, there was a program that i deeply miss and hope someone may knows of an equivalent or might be able to re-program it for windows.

The best way to describe it is:

http://www.mac.org/s...stem/clickthereitis/

but in my own words, you are in photoshop/word/etc and want to get to a specific directory. rather than having to burrow backwards and click, click, click to various sub sub sub directories (or networked folders)...if you could be in the save/open dialog box and move your cursor to a folder that is open on your desktop...and click anywhere inside that folder...the save/open dialog box would automatically "jump" to that directory....this feature was awesome and save a TON of time.especially when performing macros!

anyhoo...any feedback or help would be awesome and thanks for reading.

[email protected]

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking to find or build a simple specific app.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 02:26 PM »
I may be misunderstanding what you're after, but there are a variety of File Dialog extenders that should provide you with some of this funcitonality. They were reviewed at DC about 18 months ago: https://www.donation...Extenders/index.html

FWIW what you describe sounds a bit like the old (3rd party shareware) Instant File Access app from Windows 3.x, which I dearly loved and miss a lot...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:28 PM »
OK. I missed the boat completely. Here's the developer's description of Clickthereitis:

Click, there it is! is something Apple should have done in the Open/Save dialog boxes since the invention of "multitasking." Have you ever wanted to Open/Save a document into a place where the Finder already has a window opened for it? If you see the window in the Finder you can instantly make that your current folder for opening or saving simply by clicking on it. If the Open/Save dialog should happen to obscure the Finder window you are looking for, then simply drag it out of the way by dragging it from any point along the frame!

Does sound cool and I don't know of an existing application that will do that. I'll have to try it under OS X!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 06:04 PM »
I have been wanting this feature a thousand³ times!

Make it happen!  :Thmbsup:

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 06:38 PM »
I think FlashFolders has this capability - it has a drop-down of "folders of currently open files" to "global history of folders". Between the two you should be able to jump to any recently  / currently accessed area of your disk.

precogmark

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 07:30 PM »
thanks for responses...on the macos x there is default folder:

http://www.stclairso...ltFolderX/index.html

its a great program.

for the response on other open / save utilities...yes, i know of them but they create dialog boxes as drop downs and have to be predetermined. the beauty of click there it is and default folder is ANY open folder can be clicked on (alt+click...whatever) and the open/save would jump to that open folder.

hopefully that makes sense...its a hard concept to explain but once you get it...and use it...you think "wow. simple and cool"

anyone know how to program it?

precogmark

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 07:37 PM »
oh yeah..and this website has a great utlity for creating tabbed browsing for windows explorer (just like firefox and ie7)

its FREE, kicks ass and is stable for me under xp pro. but it took me a little time to tweak it.

http://qttabbar.wikidot.com/

it also allows you to see pictures better and when you select a file to rename...it omits the .jpg or any extension therein so you dont have to add it or seperate it.
for what its worth...

and finally...here is a great add on for outlook.

www.getanagram.com

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 08:40 PM »
FileBox Extender has this capability I believe.
Check out all the options, I'm sure they will perform.
I just tried it and it worked.

http://www.hyperionics.com/

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 08:49 PM »
Note- I don't think it will act exactly as you described, but will do what you want it to do. Namely copy-paste quickly into specific folders.

You can jump to any folder from the top icons, even if they are not open.
And the copy/paste - save/open will still be active.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 08:52 PM by cmpm »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 08:56 PM »
another note-I didn't try opening a file in another program though-hey it could work, it is a cool program. But I'm not sure if you mean for the specific file to open up in the selected program or folder.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 10:12 PM »
hmmmm.....
not so sure this would be what you want.
Although it can save and convert it won't open files in another program.
It will convert from Word to Ashampoo's textmaker and save it in textmaker's folder but I couldn't get to auto open.

It's a good program for saving to different folders and opening different folders though.
I could also be missing something, like 'how to do it'.:)
ok 4 posts in a row-i'll stop....

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 08:04 AM »
for the response on other open / save utilities...yes, i know of them but they create dialog boxes as drop downs and have to be predetermined. the beauty of click there it is and default folder is ANY open folder can be clicked on (alt+click...whatever) and the open/save would jump to that open folder.

hopefully that makes sense...its a hard concept to explain but once you get it...and use it...you think "wow. simple and cool"

anyone know how to program it?

Actually, direct folders does exactly what you want, though in a different way.  When you are in a file dialog box, you bring up the menu by double-clicking in an empty area of the dialog box.  All of the open windows appear at the top of the menu that appear, and you can click any of them to go there.

http://www.codesecto...om/directfolders.php

Take a look at the screencasts.

If you go to https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1642.0 there is a discount- it's expired for 50%, but if you click it, you still get it for $5 off...