ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

slow boot on new hard drive problem

<< < (6/7) > >>

techidave:
I thought about that a little while ago.  or at least putting two hd's on the same cable marked as master and slave instead of cable select.

I will give it a whirl in the next day or two.

f0dder:
What I'm really interested in is whether the no-jumper aka "Master or Single" works *with* a slave drive... in that case, I dunno wtf. there's a "Master w/ Slave Present" (pins 5&6) mode as well... perhaps it's for inducing a startup delay so a buggy slave drive will be detected? :)

techidave:
well fodder I have tested your question and here are the results.  it will work if the Master has no jumper or is on the storage position of 3-5 or 4-6 and the second drive is jumpered as slave.  if I jumper one as the master and the other as slave then it will also boot about the same time frame, 40 seconds.

I do intend to ask WD why one hard drive jumpered as master doesn't work.

Dave

f0dder:
So, you're saying it does work if you don't put a jumper on (effectively having the drive in "Single or Master" setting), and you have a slave-jumpered drive on the same cable? And does that give the (short?) 40-sec time as well?

techidave:
yepper (yes)!   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version