ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows Live Skydrive: Tried Anyone?

<< < (7/9) > >>

Stoic Joker:
They can't all fail, right?-kyrathaba (July 11, 2011, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well... Here's one I just went through with a client (who had and was doing nightly backups). Disgruntled employee ... Made a backup of records from year X, then deleted the server copies of year X. Nightly backups churned on for months until somebody needed one of the year X records that weren't there anymore. Backups had cycled enough times that they weren't there either.

Blind stroke of luck we found the initial export (to steal clients via sole possession of the records) backup on the root of DE's old office workstation or the client would have been SOL.

So it can happen I suppose... (eek!)

40hz:
Nightly backups churned on for months until somebody needed one of the year X records that weren't there anymore.
-Stoic Joker (July 11, 2011, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

One of the reasons why I try never to do incremental backups any more. I'll do full backups, image snapshots - or sync directories. But no incrementals. All they ever seem to do is increase the potential points of failure along with the likelihood of not being able to restore a backup.

re: your client

Eek! indeed...

One more reason why it's so important to actually look very carefully at those backup logs each day. (Not that I or anybody else I know ever seems to do it religiously. :-\ ;D )

superboyac:
Nightly backups churned on for months until somebody needed one of the year X records that weren't there anymore.
-Stoic Joker (July 11, 2011, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

One of the reasons why I try never to do incremental backups any more. I'll do full backups, image snapshots - or sync directories. But no incrementals. All they ever seem to do is increase the potential points of failure along with the likelihood of not being able to restore a backup.

re: your client

Eek! indeed...

One more reason why it's so important to actually look very carefully at those backup logs each day. (Not that I or anybody else I know ever seems to do it religiously. :-\ ;D )

-40hz (July 11, 2011, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK...I'm going to have to pick your brain on your preferred backup procedure one day...

40hz:
OK...I'm going to have to pick your brain on your preferred backup procedure one day...
-superboyac (July 11, 2011, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not much pickin's there I'm afraid. ;D

It varies depending on who and what - and how much time you have to make a backup. The big problem with "overnight backup" is that our data footprint has gotten so large we're now running out of "night" before we're running out of disk space.

Methodology in order of preference:

0. Real-time duplication of critical files following any change
1. File-by-file simple copy
2. Directory synchronization
3. Image/snapshot backup
4. Traditional "full" backup

For most clients we:

* Go RAID-1 for all user data.
* Sync current user data to an external drive at midday and close of business M-F
* Copy (w/verf) all user data to rotating secondary external drives after EOD sync is complete.
* Image user data drive(s) weekly - retention varies by client
* Image system drives weekly - or following any update
System file backups depend upon the OS. We follow the publishers recommendations as to what to back up and how often.

For home, I image my system drive immediately after initial installation - and following any major update after that. My data gets synced to an external drive daily. Full copy of all files gets made to a second external drive once per week. Critical "keeper" stuff gets backed up to a variety of media on an ad hoc but regular basis. When in doubt, I make copies. I'm neurotic about that.  8)

That's about it. :Thmbsup:

40hz:
Very few offering free services ... call me a cynic but in the world of data storage I suspect you are likely to get what you pay for - and if you are paying you at least have some comeback if/when things go wrong.
-Carol Haynes (July 11, 2011, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Excellent point...especially the "when" part. :Thmbsup:

I'm thinking of using a remote backup service more than I have previously. But I'll still hedge my bet with local backups.

And I'll probably use two separate service providers - and alternate back and forth between them on a daily basis just in case. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version