ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows Live Skydrive: Tried Anyone?

<< < (4/9) > >>

kyrathaba:
I know this thread is a bit dated, and wanted to update everyone that SkyDrive now provides 25 Gb for free, rather than the 5 Gb when this thread was new.

Also, I figured out it's quite easy to map network drives to various SkyDrive folders.  For example, I'm now dragging and dropping some of my programming files backups onto my networked drive letter (Y: in the screen shot below).  It uploads quickly to my /ProgFiles/ subdirectory on the site.

You can click the image below for the webpage from which I obtain a tiny little program, SkyDrive Simple Viewer, that shows you the path of a given SkyDrive folder in your account:

Josh:
Is the simple viewer used for mapping the drive letter? Or how are you doing that?

kyrathaba:
You choose the drive letter you want (I think it defaults to Y if Y isn't in use).  On my notebook, Z: was in use as the wireless HP printer, so the default was perfect.

The only thing the Simple Viewer is for is so you can:
(1) log-on to your SkyDrive account and wait for the program to list your SkyDrive directories
(2) click on a directory within the Simple Viewer to see the corresponding WebDAV address
(3) copy-paste that URL from the viewer into the Map Network Drive dialog
(4) manually remove the leading https: and replace / characters with \ characters

That's it.

The viewer will look something like this after successfully logging into your SkyDrive account:

Here's a link to one tutorial I found on how to do everything.  I think GHacks has another link.

Stoic Joker:
Cool! I may have to actually start using my SkyDrive for something if it really is that large and handy. But I just gotta ask:

On my notebook, Z: was in use as the wireless HP printer, so the default was perfect.
-kyrathaba (July 10, 2011, 09:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

...You mapped a drive letter to your printer?!? Why...?

Carol Haynes:
Whatever you think about Skdrive remember it is MS and personally I don't trust them with my data since they lost a whole pile of community websites after a server failure (and didn't have backups).

I hope they learned the lesson (I certainly did - which is why I will never trust them to look after my files again - and that includes Office 360 or Office Live).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version