topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: how to un-minimize FireFox for URL's?  (Read 8044 times)

ottenm

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
how to un-minimize FireFox for URL's?
« on: February 21, 2008, 06:16 PM »
I like to keep most of my running apps minimized, with only the one or two I'm using restored (not maximized, just regular-sized).  So my URL FARR targets usually land in a minimized FireFox.  Is there a way to send them over there and get FireFox to unminimize?  I tried appending a /MAXIMIZE onto the end of one of the aliases, but no luck (probably would have worked if FireFox had not been running, but I didn't really want it maximized, just regular-ized).

Thanks for any help-

Mike

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: how to un-minimize FireFox for URL's?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:41 PM »
this should really happen automatically whenever a url is launched -- it does here.

as long as the thing being launched is a url, your browser should pop up from minimization when the url is opened.  as i said it does here.  it's not FARR doing that, it's the browser doing it.  i use firefox too by the way.

ps i do use a firefox extension that minimizes FF to the tray but i really don't think that is it.

ottenm

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 08:24 AM »
That's what I thought, but no luck here.  FF 2.0.0.12, with a few add-ons, but nothing jumping out as a possible culprit of "retain minimized despite new URL".  Will keep an eye out.  Open to suggestions.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:52 AM »
can anyone else say whether their firefox automatically unminimizes when a url is launched by another program?

ottenm, maybe you could try this and see if it unminimizes your FF when triggering:
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=6714.0

again same question to others: does FF unminimize for you when you launch a url from another program?  (maybe there is an option for this in FF?)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:57 AM »
another possible reason that it might work for me and not for others is that i have FF set to open a new tab for new urls, and maybe you don't? and maybe FF only will un-minimize if their is a new tab or page being opened?

here is something to try: set FF as a custom browser in FARR and see if that makes a difference.  i don't have it set in mine but it will cause urls to launch via a different method, which might trigger FARR to wake up.  just put the path to FF and dont worry about the $$1 i think.
Screenshot - 2_22_2008 , 8_55_20 AM.png

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:52 AM »
can anyone else say whether their firefox automatically unminimizes when a url is launched by another program?

yes, from the tray as well (but I use PowerMenu to minimize)

EDIT/ I also have setting to open in new tab
Tom

ottenm

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:45 AM »
I am very grateful for these efforts.  Thank you.

With SelectToSurf, I get the same behavior (select a URL in notepad, hit ctrl-space, the new URL loads into FF, but FF stays minimized).

In FF I have both "Web Browser Links" and "External Links" set to open in the current tab.  But setting either or both to "New Tab" does not help.  The URLs do open in new tabs, but FF still stays minimized.

I tried setting the "Custom Browser" to FF.  The first time only, with Firefox already running, I tried to launch a URL from farr and got a dialog that said: "Close Firefox: Firefox is already running, but is not responding.  To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."  But after closing and re-opening FF, it now works the same with or without the "Custom Browser" (it loads, but stays minimized).

Rebooted.  That's been a while.  No change.

Reinstalled FF.  Again, no change.  Admittedly, did not uninstall first.  Tried disabling FF add-on "TabBrowser Preferences" (including exit/restart FF), still no change.

Maybe something with one of the other app launchers I was looking at?  Killed everything off but farr and still no change.

Can try it on another machine I have at home....

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:57 AM »
i think it's likely something with firefox, BUT it would be nice to hear reports from othe users first whether theirs behaves like yours or mine.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 02:02 PM »
Could you try with a new clean profile of FF and set that as default ?
that way your current settings which may have been saved (?) (even though you installed again) shouldnt affect it [I think.. :-\]
Tom

ottenm

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 02:18 PM »
I do have it working correctly on a new computer with nothing but XP Pro SP 2 installed (and ff and farr).  But on my home, office, and laptop machines (also XP Pro SP2), I just can't get farr to un-minimize ff.  I uninstalled every ff add-on one at a time, and then finally wiped the ff directory and reinstalled ff.  With no ff add-ons installed, I then removed app after app from the Task Manager, startup apps, and anything that was not running on the other (working) XP machine.  Does anyone see anything else worth killing off?
taskmgr.jpg

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.  A huge time drain, but a nice payoff in the balance.  Apologies for the delayed reply to those trying to help, I really had to get back to work for a couple of days.

Mike

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 02:36 PM »
i suspect its some setting in your ff preferences that doesnt get deleted when you uninstall and reinstall.  try creating a new FF profile or uninstalling FF and all profiles. then reinstalling.

ottenm

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 08:01 PM »
That was it!  Sorry tomos, I didn't know about "ff profiles" and figured the complete wipe and uninstall would clear everything.  A new profile, and now for a new pair of shoes.

Thanks for all the help-

ottenm

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 05:13 PM »
Unbelievable!!!!!  What a painful, *painful* little checkbox I checked oh, way back when I was younger.  Much younger.

In Firefox, I use the "Tabbrowser Preferences" add-on, and I'd even recommend it.  Under the "Tab Focus" settings there is a checkbox: Load windows diverted into tabs in the background.

From this current FARR thread this is, perhaps, obviously the trouble.  But I *thought* it just opened new tabs in the background.  Not that it kept diverted opens minimized.

Unchecking that box, could save you a lot of time.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 05:29 PM »
What a painful, *painful* little checkbox I checked oh, way back when I was younger.  Much younger.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

by the way i prefer the "Tab Mix Plus" addon; maybe it will do what you want without causing this behavior.