topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Context Menu addon  (Read 5644 times)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Context Menu addon
« on: February 20, 2008, 05:58 PM »
Customize your Windows right-click menu
Who doesn't love to right-click, especially when browsing the Web? Whether saving images we like to our local drives, copying HTML links to send to friends, or scanning downloaded files for viruses, the right-click has become an essential part of most users' computing lives.

Yet how many times have you right-clicked on a file in Windows and then painfully scoured a long list to find the only option you need; sometimes it's the only one you ever use. Wouldn't life be much simpler to have only the items you want in your right-click menu? Well, for Windows Explorer, it's mostly possible, and the free utility FileMenu Tools makes it rather simple.

http://nl.com.com/vi...ter.jsp?list_id=e415

Looks like a keeper to me!

8)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Context Menu addon
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 06:20 PM »
I wonder two things about this puppy... first, the second thing: does it play nice with 16 bit applications? Hace MMM+ was GREAT, but completely disabled an important 16 bit app that I use in my research (there is a new 32 bit version coming out... but no word on WHEN). The other thing I'm wondering about is DOpus. Will this app do anything with DOpus context menus... DOpus uses an alternative means to generate context menus and these utilities, like MMM+, tend not to work with it. GPSoftware isn't, apparently, willing to share their secrets, either (apparently this is a common request to the developers of MMM+... My gut tells me the answer to this is NO. Doesn't hurt to ask, though. Right?

Sigh, OK - here I go to answer these questions myself...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 06:46 PM »
Cool! It works with DOpus (at least with the Windows Explorer context items added to the context menu) and it plays with my 16 bit application just fine. Only thing I miss from Hace MMM+ is the ability to move menu items into folders... but perhaps I just need to read the help file and "play" some more.

Nice find, Cuffy! Thanks...  :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 07:06 PM »

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 07:24 PM »
Same church- different pew.
Last update 1/19/08

;)

FileMenu Tools - Version History
Version 5.3.2 - 01/19/2008
Bug fixed: some commands of Windows were not working correctly (for example "Run as Administrator" in Windows Vista or "Open" when various files were selected). 
Synchronize folders: remembers the settings for each folder.

Version 5.3.1 - 12/22/2007
Fixed bug: crash when running Synchronice Folders utility.
Fixed bug: the icons was not displayed in icon dialog box.
Fixed bug: Copy Content utility did not work correctly.

Version 5.3 - 12/02/2007
When a submenu has not any element, then it is not displayed in context menu.
It is possible to configure a submenu, so that when only one command is displayed in submenu, the command is displayed in place of submenu.
New parameter can be configured in customized commands in order to display the command only when one element is selected on Windows Explorer.
Renamer: added management of profiles.
Size of Folders: now it shows also the files that the parent folder contains. This is displayed with an element whose name is a dot.
New utility: Shred Files. This utility lets you shred the selected files definitely so it is imposible to recovery the files with recovering tools.

Version 5.2 - 09/10/2007
New utility: Paste Clipboard. This utility appends the clipboard contents into the selected elements. If a folder is selected, then will be created a file in that folder with the clipboard contents.
New utility: Size of Folders. This utility lets you see the size of the folders.

Version 5.1.2 - 04/15/2007
Fixed a bug in Advanced Renamer: some controls were not enabled correctly.

Version 5.1.1 - 04/05/2007
Fixed some bugs.
Added Windows Vista support.
Windows Vista only: an icon is displayed in the context menu for the main commands (Properties, Copy, Cut, Paste, Delete, etc.)

Version 5.1 - 01/21/2007
Fixed bug in Extended Delete: files were not deleted recursively.
An icon can be configured for the submenus.
Advanced Renamer: it is possible to add the last write time in the file name.
Find and Replace 1: the search results can be saved and restored.
Find and Replace 2: the configuration can be saved to profiles.

Version 5.0 - 11/12/2006
Translated to English. 

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 07:26 PM »
The one thing I don't want to do is lose something I may want back.

Do all these programs allow you to put back what you removed without searching your computer for them?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 10:32 PM »
Yes - Hace MMM+ and FileMenu Tools allow you to go back and forth. I've already uninstalled FileMenu Tools. I'm fickle  :-[ Everytime I edited a context menu entry and then went back to change it, a new entry for the same itme would be created, so I wound up with four entries for the CD Burning Folder... Not a big deal, but I thought it best to leave well enough alone!

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 09:57 AM »
I appear this morn with great unjubilation!
FileMenu Tools doesn't work in XPPro64....... nada...........nothing..........no joy!
It works fine in XPPro32 so I guess I'll try to look at least half jubilated......... maybe not?
 :-\

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 01:35 PM »
I'll try to look at least half jubilated

;D