ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?

<< < (45/187) > >>

Grorgy:
I grew up in central NSW and Sydney and lived and worked there until 15 or so yrs ago when i  moved to Melbourne with my job, I worked for Telstra, the phone company, firstly in customer service, you know the stuff, not letting people have time to pay their bills that kind of thing lol, then  in melbourne i worked with the development of their then new billing system, helping with design and testing of it, it was fun but came to an end and i was made redundant. 

I now live in western victoria on a little block of land with a small house (5acres) and I am presently studying sociology and politics at a university near here.

I enjoy playing around with my computer as a user   of programs, i cant program at all, and I have recently been having a great time with window blinds and making my computer look pretty, well i like black so its very dark (finding a black theme that is actually usable is quite a hunt, so i've actually ended up with dark grey lol)

If you are interested I have an MSN space with a few photos in it, the blog hardly ever gets updated tho, http://grorgysplace.spaces.live.com/

roadrunner2525:
Hi, everyone.  Fascinating reading, this.  There seems to be an overabundance of you loyal (some not so loyal) subjects than us revolutionaries.  But that's OK, I won't hold it against you.   ;D

I was born in NEW Mexico, USA in 1947.  Left when I was 17 to go to school in Louisiana,  Majored in Booze, Girls and partying.  Graduated cum laude (not really, just in my major) in 1967, just in time for a letter from my neighbors telling me I had been selected to join the Army.  Not being an Army type, I joined the Navy, reasoning at least we took our beds with us and had hot food most of the time.

Spent two years in California, learning electronics and cryptography.  In a fit of idiocy, I volunteered to go to Vietnam.  The Navy, rightly deciding they did not want certifiably crazy people in Vietnam, sent me to Iceland.  Two years there and two years in Virginia and we parted ways.  I must admit, I saw a large part of the world, but not anyplace anyone was likely to shoot at me.  The Med, Caribbean, Central and South America.

Went back to school and supported my wife and daughter through the GI Bill and night work at a "no tell motel."  Learned more there than in school.  I spent four years in the hotel business and went back to work for the government as an auditor (not IRS), got my accounting/economics degree.  Had another daughter.  I was able to take an early retirement in 1999 and have been vegetating here in Louisiana since then.

I started with computers with a BASIC course in 1973, thought I can't stand this, and didn't even touch a computer again until 1980 or 81.  The Sinclair Z80 (friend's), a TI-99-4A (mine) were myt intro to computers.  Man, I hated the tape reader on that TI!  My office got an IBM XT in 1983 and I became the guru.  DOS 2.11 on up to 6.22, Windows 1.0 (Yecch!), 2.0 ( a little better), 3.0, 3.1 (finally!), 3.11, NT 3.5, 4.0, 95 (WOW!), 98, 98 SE(loved), ME (Yecch!) and now XP Home, Pro and Media Center.  I've played around with Linux over the years but don't want to put the time in I would have to to really learn it.

Both of our daughters live in Alexandria, VA.  One works as a project manager for the Dept of Education, the other is a Licensed counselor who works with a lot of foster kids.

There you have it.  That was my life.

emerald222:
     I'm not usually a poster, but everyone else seems to be sharing, so...here goes!  I just was over at the age poll thread, and it informed me that I'm probably younger than everyone reading this!  So much for worrying about creeping up on thirty.(shhhh) 
     As for life in a nutshell, let's go the computer route.  My high school was exclusively mac...that was where I learned to tYpE, work with office stuff, surf with Navigator, and was even able to take a course on C (a pretty big deal for a small-town high school ten years ago!). 
     So, computers are neat.  I toodle off to college to take Media Production thinking I'm going to be some kind of journalist. Then I find out--the college is in the real world and THEY USE PCS!!!!! I had never touched one before, and now I had to design and render animations.  Ack!  I don't know how many of you can relate to the utter helplessnes of sitting in front a pc for the first time and being totally clueless...when you know how to write basic programs!  It was surreal.
     Eventually got a job at a tv station, where I was forced to use windows 3.1 and we still cut commercials using beta.  Then went digital.  New cameras, new tapes, new editing suite which consisted of...yes, a mac.  Sigh. 
     Now, I'm no longer part of that world (happy little housewife in northern Canada), but between my husband and me our house has three computers, working on a fourth (he wants to "upgrade to vista", read "excuse to build a new computer", but I'll get his old to use as a linux box.  Yea me!!).  I love scouring for useful freeware, and I think software in general is pretty cool (my husband has a t-shirt that says "I love my geek"--says it all, doesn't it?).  I'd love to play with coding, scripting, re-learning everything I've fogotten in C, but I don't know where to start.  Someday, I guess.  I'm definately not afraid to tackle anything new! 
     This turned into a much, much longer post than I intened...thank you if you made it this far!  And just to throw this out there...kudos to anyone who can identify the source of my avatar!

Loonier:
emerald222... welcome, and you will - after a respectable wait for an answer, of course, and assuming the negative - reveal the source of your avatar, eh... (being mildly OCD about such things, I did try to locate the source)

tomos:
I love scouring for useful freeware, and I think software in general is pretty cool (my husband has a t-shirt that says "I love my geek"--says it all, doesn't it?)
-emerald222 (April 22, 2007, 09:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D nice one!

& welcome! - Im not going to bother try finding source of your avatar but it is a "nice one" too

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version