topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1020674 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi... I *swear* that I posted in this thread long ago but can find no evidence to support this so...

That's because the start of the thread has been lost somehow - I started the thread not long after I joined the site but for some reason .....

If you look at my first post in this thread now here you can see I am referring back to the posting of another member earlier in the thread - all those early posts have disappeared.

Mouser do you keep any old backups or are they discarded on a rolling basis ? If you kept some ealy ones we may be able to resurrect the full thread ...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:19 AM by Carol Haynes »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
i dont discard old backups but this was sooo long ago and its a mystery to me where we lost these.  do we have any clue the date when the lost posts were in existence, and any text in them i might be able to search for?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Abterix/Stefan mentioned that he lived in Heidelberg in an earlier message beacuse that is what I responded to. Presumably I mentioned "Yorkshire Dales" in my initial post that started the thread.

Given that messages after 17-03-2005 exist in the thread I presume any backup soon after that date will have the original posts in them (they were certainly there when I posted my comment on 31-08-2005.

pyr8

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • My Motto: Run Silent Run Deep
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Every one

Its Pyr8 from the UK here and I am pleased to be a member!

I am an war pensioner (ex submarines) and ok I am 50 now but mentally retarded hehehehe I also am a wheelchair jockey that pisses off governments etc and I have always been know by the name Pirate hence my screen name and this is because I am a rebel without a cause (Not true really I have loads of causes and pet hates ie Government)

I am or was an electrical tech manager in the heavy electrical area ie power stations or any where that there are heavy electrical uses

Anyone that needs any help or advice please give me a shout as I am an insomniac and it helps keep my mind occupied!

Regards
Pyr8 :P

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome Pyr8, whereabouts in the UK - there are a few of us about ;)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ha! a fellow sailor that has the courage to try to get on a boat designed to sink!  :D  I actually never qualified, but I sure tried!

Welcome Pyr8!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:23 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

dwbrant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am mid-40's, live in Minneapolis, MN, USA, and like to spend spare time taking photographs.  I was in USAF from 1980-1992.

I work for a very large global outsourcing company, and no, I am not proud of that fact.  I am actually waiting to have my job "outsourced" to Argentina or Brazil in the next few months.

Dave

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
welcome dave and pyr8 :Thmbsup:

sable

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hello, i´m sable from germany and i´m 25 years old (since the day i stopped counting the years). i´m a chocoholic and i would die for a good pizza, pie and a kawphy :)
i´m breeding british short and longhair cats and i´m a member in 2 programming rooms even i´m not a programmer. (but i´m looking pretty in the memberlist  :P)
app103 thought me html to prove me that i´m not stupid  ;D and i´m the only online person which met app in real life  :D and i ate the best pizza of my life there  :-*

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello everyone!

I'm wraith808, a computer programming consultant from Atlanta, GA.  I've been freelancing about 13 years now, and have been in the field for about 16 years.  Hope to be a good dc contributor!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:00 AM by wraith808 »

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Donate to Member
Really nice to have you here, Charles!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
welcome charles and sable.  hahahah sable great pic  ;D

zxcvbn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Strandlife
    • Donate to Member
Well, hallo from Stockton-on-Tees in NE England.  I am just carrying out my assignments as tasked.  This is what I have just posted in my "profile" :

Retired, but blogging.  Retired C of E Clergyman, one wife, two children, three grandchildren, and four coronary artery bypass grafts. Like Moses, I keep on taking the tablets.  Born 1933.  Served in Royal Air Force for 20 years altogether.  Made Deacon (C of E) 1974, Priest 1975. Retired 1998 - Hooray !

And that is probably quite enough.   ;)
zxcvbn

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
Simply put, you have my respect, which is due you.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, hallo from Stockton-on-Tees in NE England.  I am just carrying out my assignments as tasked.

Welcome zxvbn .... strange name but hey ...

Actually we are practically neighbours (in the scale of DC.com) as I only live down the road in Wensleydale and used to commu8te to Stockton to work !

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
May be strange, but sure is convenient.  Take a look at your keyboard starting with the "Z" key.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:18 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

zxcvbn

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Strandlife
    • Donate to Member
Farmsteader has cracked it !  Thank you Carol for your message.  I had "investigated" your various sites in the past, and have just done so again.  Our outdoor sports are now limited to the long and adventurous trek from the car door to the adjacent pub or cafe.  Sometimes we have managed as much as 100 yds.

As for coding, well, I have made a slight, hopefully helpful, amendment to my signature using the British Broadcasting Corporation's code which I think is pretty clever (why does the BBC need a code I ask myself ?).  You can see that you have a man of talent here.
zxcvbn

Martin_130286

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Invalid Cast
    • Donate to Member
Hi, I'm Martin - a student from England, UK.

I spend most of my time programming, mainly Uni assignments but some of my own ideas too.
I've been hanging around in the IRC channel quite a lot lately, and finally decided to get an account today :)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Our outdoor sports are now limited to the long and adventurous trek from the car door to the adjacent pub or cafe.

Tell me about it - I don't often get as far as the car door these days!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome martin!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm Bryan.  Age 35, Kentucky resident (but I have teeth and wear shoes).  I work as a licensed psychotherapist, but I wish I worked as a programmer.  Computers "listen" better ;>

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
I'm Bryan.  Age 35, Kentucky resident (but I have teeth and wear shoes).  I work as a licensed psychotherapist, but I wish I worked as a programmer.  Computers "listen" better ;>

;D Welcome to the forums!

Vishesh

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • Can't touch me !!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
    • Donate to Member
An Introductory Forum...... :Thmbsup:

I'm Vishesh Handa, 16, Live in Delhi,India....love programming  :P

Oh yea I'm in High School..... :P

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Computers "listen" better ;>

That's the whole problem with them! They do exactly what you tell them to, instead of what you want them to do.

"I know that is what I typed, but that isn't what I meant. If computers are so smart it should have know that!!! Grrrrrrrrrr!!"

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"I know that is what I typed, but that isn't what I meant. If computers are so smart it should have know that!!! Grrrrrrrrrr!!"

I know what you mean, tinjaw.  Computers can be frustrating, just like people can.  I think a lot of ppl don't realize that computers have feelings.  Just the other day, my computer finally broke down and admitted to me that she's been very jealous the past few weeks because I've been seeing another computer (at work).  I hadn't been careful enough (had unthinkingly sent an email from work computer to my ISP internet account), and what could I say?  I was caught with both hands on the keyboard!  I just swallowed my pride and apologized, and gave her a RAM upgrade and a nice long defrag.  We're getting along fine again, now ...