topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1018953 times)

SoldierByte

First I want to thank everyone
for the nice welcome...
Secondly...
I got my coffee and now am ready
to really start some trouble..!!

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd488/SoldierByte/SoldierByte.jpg
OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?

My thanks to all...http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd488/SoldierByte/smiley-face-soldier.gif

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd488/SoldierByte/Soldbyt_sig.gif

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 I like your hair better this 'way':

SoldierByte.jpg

SoldierByte

I like your hair better this 'way':
 (see attachment in previous post)

Well...!!
I see that I am NOT the
only troublemaker detail minded here at DC..
Thanks Mr. Curt.. :Thmbsup:
( I only noticed after posting )  ::)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Saw this in the local town of Frome today, and thought it might be appropriate for mouser.  Though I gather "cat house" has a particular meaning in the USA...

jadinolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi there. My name is Joe and I live in Ojai, Southern California. I am 78 years old and have been retired almost 19 years.

I was born in Norwalk, CT and left home after High School to join the Air Force. Served for 4 years, a good portion of which was spent in what was called French Morocco. The end of my brief career was spent in Washington D.C.

After the Air Force I went to college and then on to four different semiconductor companies.

In 1960, I hopped in my car and drove to Southern California to work at another semiconductor company.

I married a young lady by the name of Karen in 1964 and we had a son, Joe Junior.

In 1977, I resigned my job and bought a retail electronics store here in Ojai. Sold the business in 1986.

Karen died of cancer in 1988. She was 46.

After that, I took the position of Purchasing Manager and head flunky for a local golf bag business. Yearly sales were 13 million. I hated this place almost from the day I took the job but I was 55 years old and try to find a job at 55. I resigned (retired) on September 3, 1993 - one day short of 4 years and 1 month at the place.

I must have had some skill because two other companies asked me to consult for them which I did (of course).

Then after that I really retired and have lived here alone since then.

In my retail electronics store we did sell computers but I knew very little about them. Anyway, I bought  my first Windows 3.1 computer in November of 1995. It had all of 16 Megs of memory and cost US $1700.

Since then, I have built several computers and have 5 desktops in use right now. I need 5 desktops like I need a hole in my head. Maybe I do. ;D

My latest build was my first REAL computer - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, i5, 8G of memory, SSD. beautiful machine and cost a lot of money. I hope I live long enough to get some use out of it.

That's about it.

I think some of you have seen my Basset Hound buddy, Fred. He is good company but is spoiled rotten. I have no idea who did that to him.

Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
-really interesting read, Joe, jadinolf. Thank you, and Welcome!  :up:

---------
Your post made me of course go search for Fred:

Fred: >Re: Show us a photo of your mutt or other creatures..<

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... my Basset Hound buddy, Fred. He is good company but is spoiled rotten. I have no idea who did that to him.

lol.
Tom

jadinolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... my Basset Hound buddy, Fred. He is good company but is spoiled rotten. I have no idea who did that to him.

lol.
;D

jadinolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
-really interesting read, Joe, jadinolf. Thank you, and Welcome!  :up:

---------
Your post made me of course go search for Fred:

Fred: >Re: Show us a photo of your mutt or other creatures..<

Thanks

Nice to be here.

Uncle Scotty

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, gang.

My name is Michael Scott......but my nephews and nieces call me Uncle Scotty because they already have an Uncle Mike......one of my wife's three brothers.

I'm 64.....will be getting old age security starting in November 2012....and loving being (what I call) Semi-retired. Banking, specializing in Small Business was the last job I had before throwing in the towel.

My favourite job, by far, however, was being Advertising Manager for Electrohome, a small, Canadian/family-owned television manufacturer in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, that also owned a TV station, manufactured furniture, household appliances, electronic organs, sub-fractional horsepower motors and a few other things.

Now I'm chief cook and bottle washer for my still-working wife. I also look after our parrot, Garcia, a Double-Yellow-Headed Amazon, and our cat Coltrane, a domestic black and white longhair.

We live in St. Catharines, Ontario, about 12 miles from Niagara Falls.

I've been playing with computers since buying my first Commodore 64 back in 198sumthin. Had Ataris (mostly for MIDI music), Macs (for work and play) and now am a PC guy with a nice new Lenovo Win7 64 bit laptop and a similar generic desktop.

Wondering if anyone on this site owns an SBI website and can tell me about their success...or lack thereof, with Dr. Evoy.

Thanks,
Michael
(Pictures to follow)(Oh yeah....and I'm a Huuuuuuuuge motorcycle fan. Ride a 2003 Midnight Venture. Wifey has a V-Star)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Welcome Joe and Micahel!  :up:

ondarkness

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's up crew!
My name is Ivan, over in Laguna Beach.
My favorite video game is PONG.
I'm 32 living with my wife and 2 pups, will post pup pics later. Both Morkies (Maltese/Yorkies) Named Guinness & Porto. Work in sales, play with motorcycles, vid games and am a bit of a DIY'er. Love to cook, bake and eat, but not in that order. It's good to find another cool online community to hang out in. I've only ever been active in ANANTECH forums, so this is a great addition.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome ivan

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome ivan

LOL!

No...That deserves this....

ondarkness

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 :D
had me looking for the puppet strings myself!
LMAO!

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Gee whiz, golly, shucks, gosh!  I just found this place - this thread, not DC  ;) - and now I'm wondering just what else I've been missing, just how dumb I am - speculation, does not require an answer  ;D.

Oh, well, a few years late but ...

Name is barney, live in Corpus Christi, just about in the middle of the Texas Coastal Bend.  Preteen years in Poplar Bluff/St. Louis/Forissant (all in Missouri), teen years ~30 miles east of Dallas, TX.  Grew up - mentally, morally, responsibly - in Vietnam, returned to Tucson, Arizona, back to DFW area, then to Corpus Christi.  There have been a few forays into other regions, but none long-term.

Spent 18 years in bindery/bulk mail services, mostly training other folk to run machinery better than I could.  Spent summers, weekends as a teen working in a fibreglass shop (my dad's, so not certain that counts) or wiring new houses.  Last three (3) decades have been pretty much computer, from IT to programming to hobby (vocation and avocation at the same time).

Now, retired, I do pro bono work for the odd Website or for friends, build database backends for Websites, and the like.  I'm an old cripple - parked a Triumph 650 TT Scrambler in the radiator of a Plymouth back in Tucson - but I go sailing every chance I get (close friend down here has a sailing school  :Thmbsup:)

OK, all that's prolly TMI (Too Much Information), but if I'm gonna let it hang out, I might as well let it all hang out  :P.
Sorry to be so late with this  :-[.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Barney,

Nice to learn a bit more about you than can be deduced from your other posts  :)  :up:

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Barney,

Nice to learn a bit more about you than can be deduced from your other posts  :)  :up:
-cranioscopical (July 31, 2012, 10:15 PM)

Hey!!!   I didn't think anyone was gonna read it  :huh:.  Ambusher  :P!

Addendum:

Just found/noticed this topic.  Glad I found it, but it's gonna take a long time to read 31 pages  :-\.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... a Triumph 650 TT Scrambler ...

-did you pick that marque, by inspiration from Steve McQueen?

http://www.mcqueenon...eatescapetriumph.htm
by the way: http://www.triumphmo...eville/special/10238

One of my brothers drove Triumph Bonneville 650. My mother would close her eyes and start praying, every time she saw him take off.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks for the info Barney.
You'll find my cv in the thirty pages here somewhere as well. I also did your trick of waiting a couple of years before posting here ;-)

I've wanted to ask for a long time - this seems like the right place:
why do you always spell out a number and then have the digit in brackets?

... three (3) ...
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've wanted to ask for a long time - this seems like the right place:
why do you always spell out a number and then have the digit in brackets?
... three (3) ...

-yeah, barney, why do you do that? Me thinks that is odd (2ℤ+1)!

;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
That's an old school formal writing guideline (and one I like!).

See for example:
http://answers.yahoo...0060719082151AAkfEeo

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

See for example:
http://answers.yahoo...0060719082151AAkfEeo

Okay (OK) :P

I remember reading somewhere that, in "proper" writing, one should spell out numbers, up to a certain limit (four or five?) and then use numerals (e.g. 6 or 7 - is numeral even the correct term for those?)
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

-would that be "(and one (1) I like!)"?
 The explanation sounds right, though - like when in the older days, the sum on a cheque had to be both spelled in letters and in digits. Thank you for the link.