topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1020707 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Jason, you lucky dog, er wolf, you! Glad to have you with us, and thanks for sharing the great photo.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't normally post in these types of "who are you" forums as I never really liked tooting my own horn and I usually let people get to know me by interacting with me...but I feel it's about time I do so...so here goes:

I am a 40 yr old woman who at some point early on in life decided to become a programmer and ended up having to sweep those dreams under the rug for a bunch of reasons and never did become a programmer. But dreams have a way of coming back to haunt you, so it might be a bit late to be starting out and starting over, but better late than never.

Since I married a really 'old fashioned' Italian guy, I do not work outside of my home, and I spend most of my time on my computer.

Online pursuits:

• amateur crappy web design
  • graphic art and photo restoration
  • teaching myself programming
  • participating in various programming communities aimed at self-education
  • researching what programming ebooks are freely available and posting the links to my book site
  • posting to my 11 blogs
  • maintaining and improving my 7 websites and contributing graphics & coding to at least 3 others
  • keeping up with 9 email accounts
  • saving winmx from extinction
  • chatting in no less than 11 chatrooms on 4 networks in both English and Italian (with a translator I made)
  • providing volunteer pc tech support on aol to a list of about 200 people
  • playing silly flash games at neopets.com
  • tweaking my system to improve stability, minimize the chance of data loss, and make it more organized
  • going on click adventures that lead me all over the web & learning all kinds of new things
  • collecting & analyzing other people's art
  • downloading & trying out all kinds of freeware
  • letting other people pick my brain
  • socializing in a few online 'mental institutions'
  • /\/\artin watching (a brilliant young programmer from the UK and I think he's such a hottie ;))
  • creating a personal recipe database from all those original creations I have made over the years and scribbled down on paper (which will be shared online some day or published in book form)

Offline pursuits:

• embroidery from original designs
  • crochet from original designs
  • hand painting artwork on my fingernails
  • sewing clothing and home accessories
  • various types of crafts
  • cooking & baking

Education:

I never finished high school, never went to college...but I am a certified floral designer and received my certificate from Montclair State University (totally useless). Everything I know about computers, web design, digital art, and programming... I taught myself within the last 7 years.

I am from New Jersey, USA. My small town is the official Cherry Blossom Capital of America.

Required local photos:

and a pic of me (morphed & manipulated to resemble an Alphonse Mucha style painting):

Sorry to have made this so long but next time people want to know about me I can just send them here and share both my bio and Donation Coder with them at the same time. :D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 07:09 AM by app103 »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice to have you on board April - great resumé (and nothing crappy about you webpage - what were you thinking of?)

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi people.

Im marcus, 33, from the rarely warm mostly damp floating land mass called the United Kingdom . First computer i saw in action was a Commodore Pet (mostly just the green cursor as no teacher had a clue how to use it). Got a lot more into computers when i got my own VIC  20 (which in hindsight as it was the same year the C64 came out was a BAAAD purchasing decision, but you make the most of a bum deal). Progressed to a speccy (every model from the rubbery 48k to the Amstrad-a-like 128k +2, spectrums never laster to long in our house, damn you Daley Thompson) , recieved my first my first email in 1987 via a prestel terminal, moved onto the Amiga (Now, thats what i call a proper computer) and held out as long as i possibly could before buying an IBM compatible (Window 95 was my first MS experiance, im still having councilling).

Of course during this period i went to school, bunked off PE to play Match Day and Sabre Wulf, got caught bunking off, sent back to school, left school, went to 6th Form, Went to college, Travelled a while, Came back, Cut Hair , Worked for a Bank, Left Bank, Became  Engineer for the 2nd ever 0845 ISP in the UK, Learnt that the reboot cycle of an NT4 server took the same amount of time as making microwave popcorn, also learnt that just because a crimper has the words RJ45 written on them doesn`t mean that someone hasnt grinded down the teeth to make it an RJ11 crimper and the 125 patch cables you`ve just madeup just aint gonna work, Lost job due to Dot Com implosion, got new job doing pretty much exactly the same thing but for the telecoms industry, got bored, moved over to media, became broadcast engineer, got all arty farty and became an editor for a home shopping network, became really arty farty and became a compositing editor for a production house,decided that i was becoming to arty farty and maybe i should get back into IT as its more stable.

Currently roaming the country looking to find new and intresting work, like the bloke from the tv series Kung Foo - except theres not much Kung Foo involved. Even went to Wales, now thats dedication.

I enjoy a good club, a quick drink and all the usual social stuff.

Im slightly Sarcastic

I Like Pizza

My fingers now hurt after all the typing
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 07:58 PM by mukestar »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome, marcus!

I Like Pizza

I think it's a standard requirement that geeks like pizza.

I even married the pizza man. I get all the free pizza I can handle.  :P

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
btw,
you can now fill in a biography info in your forum profile that people can see when they click the red paper icon under your name in posts.  you can also use bbcode and even images from posts like app103 did (click the red paper icon in her post above to see a good example).

for more info: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=4349.0

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been asked to play Santa Claus so many times, I've even developed a standup comedy routine as Santa when I do it.

zridling,

A couple of years back, one of the big British daily newspapers pointed out that you could tell what stage a man had reached in the four ages of life, by looking at his position relative to Santa Claus.  Thus:

• You believe in Santa Claus.
  • You don't believe in Santa Claus.
  • You are Santa Claus.
  • You look like Santa Claus...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
people!!! go fill out your bio info in your profile!!
even if it's just to link back to the post here in this thread.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
people!!! go fill out your bio info in your profile!!
even if it's just to link back to the post here in this thread.

No! I resist assimilation!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
too late db, cody already is in the process of assimilating you:
codyeatsdb2.png

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pretty sweet, Mouser.  You assimilated db90h in about 19 minutes.  Would you mind telling which graphics programs were involved? :tellme:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
that was done with Fireworks, but the key was that the cody graphic was made using layers by nudone with the top beak being one layer, and lower beak being another.

so it was complete luck that i was able to achieve the effect of the thing being in his beak so easily.

NeilS

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

I've been a member for a few months, but haven't quite gotten around to posting until now. Anyway, I'm 34, from Scotland, and I've been a game developer (programming, mainly) for as long as I can remember, although I've been branching out into other areas recently (software research, both in and out of the games industry).

Like most people here, I'm a sucker for cool bits of software, so I was very happy when I found this place. Kudos to Mouser for creating a great community here - long may it continue!

So, nice to meet everyone, and I'll try and post a bit more from now on...

- Neil.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
suppose I can post in here, too

I'm a 27 years old male livining in Oslo, Norway.
I've been using computers since... 1994 I think, but never got further than being a "mildly advanced user" meaning I can't program in any language. Well, I know a tiny bit of PHP, but that's about it. I love to tweak my system though, and have been into alternative shells for 7-8 years or something, with a preference for LiteStep (and the PureLS-branch when that was actively maintained). I recently discovered AutoHotkey and am trying to tweak and write useful scripts.
I love freeware, but with the discovery of DonationCoder.com I've found myself donating for freeware and also registering a few shareware apps (some Collectorz-programs through the DC-discount!). I've "always" wanted to be able to code programs, but I suppose AHK is as far as I can go... unless you know some great way to learn C or C++, that is.

"software I can't live without"(tm):
Total Commander
LiteStep
Opera
PSPad
Miranda
OpenOffice.org
KatMouse (microsoft, you got wheelscrolling all wrong!!!)

On a personal note, my first-born daughter is now 5 weeks  :-* I'll never forget this summer, that's for sure! Becoming a father is, needless to say, the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me!
That's about as much as I care to post right now... maybe more in my personal profile later :-[

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good to hear from you all.

Congratulations, TucknDar, on your new daughter.  May your joy continue!

Best wishes,

Jeff Kogler

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Congratulations, TucknDar, on your new daughter.  May your joy continue!

Best wishes,

Jeff Kogler
Thank you!!

Dell[a]

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am 28, live in Bethlehem Pennsylvania. I am married to Gothic for a little over a year now. NO "human" kids yet, but we do have our "animal" kids.  2 year old HUsky named Dakotah and a 7 month old pussycat named Sandalphon. I went to college and majored in Early Childhood Education/Early intervention, but did not graduate. I was an internship away from graduation when my dad got seriously ill, I gave the rest of my college money back to my mom so she could stay in Philadelphia where my dad was in the hospital for nearly a year. I just havent gone back to school yet, but I hope to finish up one day. For about 6-7 years I worked in childcare for kids with and without special needs. Now for the past 2 years I have been working with adults with MHMR, which is simply adults with Mental retardation and mental health issues. I am the supervisor of a group home where 4 women reside...some of whom have very challenging behaviors. So I am kept very busy.
I like computers, but I don't know a whole lot about them. I try and learn new stuff sometimes, especially programming...but my mind just doesnt grasp it yet. My greatest accomplishment so far is my snail rescue game, and I my new project which i have yet to start- about people who live on the sun.  :huh:
Hrm, what else? I drive a 2002 pontiac grand am, though I truly miss my 97 explorer, even tho it would have sent me bankrupt from the way gas prices have been. I dont have any pics of where I live readily available, but I can certainly ask Gothic to upload some. Gothic and I met on mIRC about1.5 years ago by complete accident. But we have been together ever since. He is my super sexy 6 sided snookums, and I love him very much!  :P
And I wanna say that even tho I dont know much about puters, I think this site is really really groovy. It has grown into one big happy family!!!!! :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
glad to have you and gothic on the site della  :Thmbsup:
and say to you tuckndar and neils  :up:

pwsfrancis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, and regars mouser,

Greetings from Malaysia!

:up:  I'm new to all these but anyway thanks for the great things (the sharing, I mean). 

:D  Thanks guys!

Regards.

Rohit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello everyone!

My name is Rohit and I am from India. I found this great website last year, but I joined it only about 2 weeks ago. Many thanks to Mouser and to other members for creating such a useful website and friendly community.

I am 30 years old male, and have been a professional programmer for 7 years. I recently quit my job to become an indie software developer/publisher, these days referred to as a "MicroISV." My original goal was to develop desktop games, but recently I have been thinking of switching to application development.

I really love coding, and wish I had the time to learn many different languages. Currently I am proficient in Java (5 years' experience), and that is the language I plan to develop my software in.

A little more about me: I grew up in New Delhi (India's capital), but these days I am living in Bangalore. I am married, but we don't have any kids yet.

My name is a word from the Sanskrit language, meaning, "the color of the rising sun." Apart from coding, my other loves are spirituality (non-religious) and trying to understand Life in simple words. I am reasonably sure that had computers not been invented yet, I would have become a monk :D I am also interested in community service projects, and once I am established in my new career, I would like to contribute in some way to my local community and/or the world.

That's all for now. See you around later! :)
Rohit

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
welcome, Rohit.

orbitdev

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi,

I'm the team leader of Orbit Downloader's develop tem, my name is Daniel Fang, come from P.R. China,
We are focous to develop an freeware download tools which have most fuction compare to commercial
product, and keep the software clean ,small and faster.

Nice to meet all the good guy here, like Mouser/Anderson, thank you for help us to know the basic
rules of promote software over the internet. We are continue to learning from this great commnuity.
and try the famouse google's slogan " Don't be evil"

I am 32 years old male, working at Linux/security for over 10 years, If your guys need some advice
on your linux webserver performace or security related questions, just drop me an note, you can
find me at this website's IRC.

Orbit Team
Daniel Fang

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Donate to Member
Welcome Daniel!   :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome daniel+orbit.

No matter where any of us are in life, there is always much to learn.

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • RuffNekk's Crypto Pages
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone!

My real name is John Willemse, I’m 33 and living in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. I work for a multi-national company as a local IT Security Officer. All the fun jobs were taken I guess, but it pays good and I have a new company car without markings :P. Luckily I get to code some stuff too every now and then. Any ways, my main ‘hobby’ is programming and I’m quite proficient in VB .NET and C#. I don’t have Visual Studio with C# so I wrote a fully functional C# compiler in VB .NET to help myself out :). I also know Java, Javascript and C/C++ but not as good though.

My other hobbies are kick boxing, logic puzzles, reading tech stuff, keeping up with the latest gadgets and playing Xbox.

I’m married for almost 5 years now and I have 2 children, my son Keony is 3 and my daughter Ashley is 12 (different mother).

That’s about it. I’m not good at this stuff so drop me a message if you want to know more ;)
Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.