Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 31, 2014, 12:14:12 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 348799 times)
Conatus
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2006, 11:10:24 AM »

Hello all! I'm Dennis from California. I don't work in the computer field but have been using them for a very long time. Was an electronics tech in the military and built my own Heathkit H8. LOL anyone heard of that.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2006, 11:19:10 AM »

welcome to the site Conatus! (set an avatar image when you get a chance),

i remember the heatkit robots - i used to dream of having one smiley
http://www.robotswanted.com/robotgallery/heathkit/

noth(a)nk.you
Charter Member

More than meets the eye.

« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2006, 11:54:52 PM »

I've been waiting for a nice day to post in this thread.  smiley

I'm a student way up here in Fairbanks, AK; working towards B.S.'s in Elect. Engr. and Math.  I spend far too much of my time surfing the internet (who doesn't?).

I was lucky enough to choose a dorm room facing south, which on days like today gives me a glorious view of the mountains.  Here are some photos I snapped from my window this evening (linked to better, but bigger, versions).

Looking to the SE, S, and SW (sorry for the formatting here):

And that little bump off to the right (see high-res) is none other than the famous Mt. McKinley.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 11:56:46 PM by noth(a)nk.you » Logged
ljbirns
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2006, 07:53:04 PM »

My name is Lew. I live in White Plains, NY.  I got started in computers when the company I worked for  ( Retail Toy Stores ) computerized with a Texas Instrument 990  in 1978. The sucker was huge,. Needed it's own room and A/C.  Total of 64 K ram. TI Basic.
In 1996 a started on a new job. Wow  12" Orange screen moniotrs and DOS 5.0.  Well now it's
2006 and at least I got them to move up to 17" color screens but were still using DOS 5.0 on the server.  At least I have a desktop with XP.

This is a terrific site.

Lew

Lew
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2006, 08:11:39 PM »

Small world it is but Canada a big country I live in Alberta about 4000kms west of Toronto.
Bebington was my home town.  But we left there when I was 5 so I remember only the bits that I've seen since then.  Not been back to UK for over ten years now.

This is very unlikely, but maybe it is a small world after all. What part of Alberta are you living in and how long have you been there? I became friends with a young lady who was from somewhere in southern Alberta--I can't remember the name of it without looking at a map--we lost contact years ago and I've been trying to look her up. She went to college in Lethbridge in the past few years and either lived there originally or some town relatively nearby. Anyway, her name is Kristi Derricott. Know any Derricotts?

JeffK
Charter Member

« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2006, 10:20:43 PM »

Isn't kd lang from Alberta?

Jeff
Tricia
Supporting Member

Mistress 'T'

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2006, 08:45:41 PM »

My name is Tricia and I'm a PC addict - I like trying new apps,
and I run my own freeware & chat forum. I came across this forum, quite by
accident and I liked the look of it. I have made a donation, and
will drop in when I can. It's so nice to meet you all.
allen
Charter Member

Powered by Beard

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2006, 09:07:10 PM »

Sure is.  And a Leonard Cohen fan, to boot smiley KD is great.

Welcome, Tricia!
nigelfraser
Charter Member

« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2006, 09:28:21 PM »

Hi everyone, 44 British and I moved to Goa India  a little over 2 years ago. Currently I am learning to analyze HJT logs in an attempt to fight the scumbags.  Oh how I miss the rolling hills of Blighty!  Cool

JeffK
Charter Member

« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2006, 10:29:09 PM »

kd and Roy Orbison singing Crying.  IMHO the finest example of popular singing of the last 20 years.

Sure is.  And a Leonard Cohen fan, to boot smiley KD is great.

Welcome, Tricia!
epopuI
Charter Member

« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2006, 09:31:07 AM »

This is very unlikely, but maybe it is a small world after all. What part of Alberta are you living in and how long have you been there? I became friends with a young lady who was from somewhere in southern Alberta--I can't remember the name of it without looking at a map--we lost contact years ago and I've been trying to look her up. She went to college in Lethbridge in the past few years and either lived there originally or some town relatively nearby. Anyway, her name is Kristi Derricott. Know any Derricotts?

No sorry I don't - I am in Edmonton been here 19 years. I have been to Lethbridge but didn't meet anyone outside of the schools I was visiting. Wink
Smirf
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2006, 02:19:14 PM »

Well, my name is Reinhard, I am from Munich, Germany, and I started my fight "man vs. machine" in my very early days.

I hope, for 10x8 chess to become more popular some day, and my multivariant program SMIRF to play it well then.

Reinhard.
JohnnyBee
Participant

« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2006, 04:07:02 PM »

Hi y'all; Johnny Bramham from Solihull, West Midlands, UK chipping in with my four pennyworth.
Now 58, I've been married 34 years, have four kids and three grandkids. 
I started off in the Royal Navy as a junior and left as a P.O eight years later.
I've been a motor mechanic in the trade ever since, working on construction plant, HGV's and cars .
Forced into having to use a PC to make my life easier in my part-time job as a local Councillor, I now refurb older PC's for re-use by disadvantaged kids in my area and generally try to get a better understanding of how they work and making them better.
I built this rig myself, only an XP athlon 2700, but it works well enough so I'm going for a dual Xeon system next with bits bought from eBay.
I'm looking forward now to getting to know more about the programming and software side of things.
Best of British to all of you!
JB.
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2006, 04:11:01 PM »

Welcome to the DCcomunity, JohnnyBee!
I trust you'll like it Wink

I'm looking forward now to getting to know more about the programming and software side of things.

Then, you should check the Programming school!!

101andresfc
Participant

« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2006, 11:42:51 AM »

Grin estoy muy contento de hacer todos estos pasos para obtener la llave....los felicito sigan adelante....yo donare dinero mas adelante cuando pruebe este sofware.

¬°pronto nos vemos, adios!
Tony Dodd
Supporting Member

« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2006, 12:08:57 PM »

My name is Brett (Tony is my online persona). I have a couple years college and I work in maintenance...go figure! I love this site and I hope others will join as this can be (and is) something great. I live in Alberta Canada and hope to start some kind of online business.
Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2006, 05:49:46 AM »

Hi, my name is Marcos and I'm from Spain. I'm 22 years old and I'm studying Computer Engineering. Not working in anything, though I help my parents from time to time working in the fields. I love tinkering with the PC, although the thing I like most in this world is music (my parents wouldn't believe this, as they always complain about the time spent with the PC). Recently discovered the site, and I think this is really a neat idea, sitting in the middle grounds between shareware and freeware. I wish for the site a lot of success!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 05:52:38 AM by Lashiec » Logged
Tony Dodd
Supporting Member

« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2006, 10:16:21 AM »

Welcome Lashiec! This is a great site with some excellent software to try out.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2006, 03:08:54 PM »

Hi Tony and Lashiec, welcome both of you to the site ; please make yourself at home
martyjn
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2006, 05:57:32 AM »

Hey everyone my name is martin i am from australia i am the single father of three kids the oldes being 6 soon.I have a 3 year degree (took me 4 years) in IT but was unable to talk my way into an it job.I spend most of my time with the kids and some of my spare time programming .I started programming when i was about 11 in basic on a commodore 64.More recently i am working on a set of winsock programs to play games chess,checkers,reversi etc over the internet or any TCP/IP network that i hope to enter in the Borland coder competition and it was the competition that caught my interest in this sight and this concept.
marty
JeffK
Charter Member

« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2006, 07:36:37 PM »

Welcome Martin and other new members.  I note you are from Australia, Martin.  I live in Kingaroy Queensland.  Where do you live?

Jeff
bokus70
Supporting Member

« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2006, 02:07:46 AM »

Hi everybody, I am the new guy around. I come from Serbia (southeastern Europe) , 36, working as a network admin in a bank. Have been working with computers since my early teens. This means: ZX81 -> ZX Spectrum -> XT -> AT -> 386 -> ... you can guess how it goes further... smiley

Fortunately I have many other interests as well. Sports (motorracing, volelyball, basketball, soccer, skiing...), music, science, history, movies... you name it I got it. Wink

Married, two daughters (1 and 5 years old).

So, this site and the concept around it is cleverly designed. I hope it will survive all the challenges that the internet is bringing, and last for a long time.

Good luck to all
AlphaWolf
Supporting Member

Give Blood...Tease A Wolf!

« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2006, 11:34:04 PM »

Hi Everyone,
Just joined and donated. What a great site! My name is Jason, but I am better known as "Wolf". I am a professional poker player and am about to launch a new business (hopefully this next week) that I think is going to be amazingly successful. I was looking on a search engine for an email client that would let me customize the appearance of individual mail folders, and I ended up here, writing this 45 min later.

I live in Las Vegas, but travel alot. When I am home, I spend as much time as I possibley can at a wolf sanctuary about 3 hrs away. I volunteer there, give tours and teach people about wolves. This wonderful pack of has adopted me as their hairless wolf brother. When there are no tours, I nap with them and they bring me meat when they think I am hungry. Seriously! LOL Anyway, go check out my buddies at wolfmountain.com. (registered none-profit organization)

OK, have to go check out more of this site. Hope to meet some of you along the way...
Have a great night everyone!
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2006, 11:39:49 PM »

When there are no tours, I nap with them and they bring me meat when they think I am hungry.
that is amazing..
AlphaWolf
Supporting Member

Give Blood...Tease A Wolf!

« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2006, 01:13:32 AM »

It truly is and I am very grateful and blessed to be in their pack.  I have bottle fed several of them, and those wolves look up to me as an elder, while I am repectfully reminded of my place by the wolves higher up the chain than me.

If you are ever in the Vegas/So Cal area, let me know. This is the only wolf sanctuary in the country where you actually get to go in and interact with some of the wolves.

Here is a pic of me howling with the alpha male of the pack. We were all howling one time and he came over to howl with me. It was quite an honor and this is one of my favorite pics.

* segoni and jason howl.jpg (67.95 KB, 718x430 - viewed 445 times.)
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.054s | Server load: 0.08 ]