topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1018964 times)

Oldi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
oh sorry for the bad site promotion, i thinks that is ok because the links are nofollow.  :-[ Yes the 2nd site is about old cars insurance, i have a insurance company and there you can compared different insureance.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bryan Miller
2nd marriage (hers too): 2 years along and going strong...

B.A. in psychology
M.Ed. in counseling
licensed psychotherapist in Kentucky

2 children
3 stepchildren

Been in the psychotherapy business 12 years now.

Programming is a hobby.  Started with BASIC, then Visual Basic 6.0, now C# and .NET.  Also, taught myself rudimentary HTML coding.

HorseDuck

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Craft House Services, in which I service and repair all makes and models of sewing machines.
My dad had a sewing machine repair business for several years before he retired (I worked with him for awhile).

The motors are insanely expensive and frequently hard to find ... but they are also quite easy to repair/rebuild. Smooth the commentator and replace the brushes. If it was made well to start with it'll run for another forever.

Wow! What a small world it is that we live in.  You are right about the older motors.  I had a customer about two years ago that had an older Pfaff machine that was in good condition but the motor had stopped working.  After taking some time looking over it I replaced the brushes and smoothed the commentator, it worked like a brand new motor, and as far as I know is still running strong.

HorseDuck

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome, HorseDuck! I'm with phitsc - impressed by your instrumental abilities; I wish I had applied myself and learned to play an instrument well when I was younger. Of course, it's never too late... Anyway, enjoy the DC experience!

You are right Darwin.  I wish myself that I had applied myself even more to my instruments than I did.  While I do know the general basics to each of the instruments that I listed I am far from being at able to play any of them at a professional level.  Everything that I know so far was either taught to me by my dad or self taught.  I have just recently been able to discover some more formal lessons for banjo that I am taking in the form of instructional DVD.  I plan to tackle each instrument one by one and further enhance my skills.

A few weeks ago my dad was talking with a professional pianist/music professor after a small concert.  During the conversation the pianist said that people come up to him all the time wanting to know how he got to be able to play like that, expecting that he could give them something and, all the sudden they would be able to play like like him.  Unfortunately what people don't seem to realize is that there is no magic potion that anyone can give you that is going to transform you into a professional stage performer.  If you are going to play like those such as Johann Sebastian Bach it is going to take long hours of plain hard work!  Now don't be discouraged by this, I did not say this to discourage you but rather to encourage you not to give up when you can't play Beethoven's Fifth right out of the box.  Don't be discouraged by what you don't know, find an instrument that you would like to learn, find a good teacher or some good lessons and and get to work.  If you dedicate yourself to learning and practicing regularly, then trust me, there will come a day when you will be rewarded for your hard work.

Wishing you the best in your musical adventures,

HorseDuck
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 01:30 AM by HorseDuck »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, HorseDuck! My wife is fond of tossing out Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hours rule on the subject of achieving expertise in a chosen endeavour. I've tried to read the book (Outliers) a few times but can't get past the first couple of pages.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Holcombe Old Church in hoar frost.  There will be details of the church here, but the Coleford and Holcombe churches have only just got their Web site and it's only a holding page as yet.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Holcombe Old Church in hoar frost.  There will be details of the church here, but the Coleford and Holcombe churches have only just got their Web site and it's only a holding page as yet.

another beautiful image - very classically 'English' looking :)
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Holcombe Old Church

Hey, I've been there (my mother used to live in Barnstaple)!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Thanks  :)  I could have done without the wires; maybe should have walked closer, but that might have changed everything else.  Had to have a go, though; we very rarely see hoar frost like that in this country.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey, I've been there (my mother used to live in Barnstaple)!
-cranioscopical (December 10, 2010, 08:00 AM)
It's some way (by UK standards) from Barnstaple - but a lot farther from Canada, so glad you saw it when you could  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I could have done without the wires

I think they're fine - they even look green which gives them a nice oxidised copper look.
They can disrupt an image, but there's a bit of an obsession with getting rid of them when it's often not necessary imo - I like reality :)
Here's a view from my window, with loads of wires... :)
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a view from my window, with loads of wires... :)
You've done a nice job of turning them into a feature:)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Thanks  :)  I could have done without the wires; maybe should have walked closer, but that might have changed everything else.  Had to have a go, though; we very rarely see hoar frost like that in this country.
Fantastic image! For some reason, it first gave me a romantic feel, and the second time I looked, it changed to scary :P
ps: I had to go back and look for the wires ;)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Fantastic image! For some reason, it first gave me a romantic feel, and the second time I looked, it changed to scary :P
ps: I had to go back and look for the wires ;)

If you mean my photo, rather than tomos', then thanks!  :)  I believe that what you get out of a photograph depends on what you bring to it - and by the same token, you photograph things, and photograph them in particular ways, depending on what sort of person you are, and what's in your mind.  I've always had a strong liking for fantasy and science fiction, so maybe that's part of where your dual response came from  :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[yes, I meant your photo, rjbull ;)]

:) That makes sense, I think that a photograph is like seeing the world through other people's eyes, that's why I don't find my own photos very interesting ;)
I could easily imagine that church as filming location for a few fantasy/medieval movies!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think that a photograph is like seeing the world through other people's eyes, that's why I don't find my own photos very interesting ;)

I once heard a photographic club judge say he liked a photo that told a story.  I've always thought I'd rather have a photo that could inspire a story  :)

I could easily imagine that church as filming location for a few fantasy/medieval movies!

Nobody seems to know when the church was built; it looks to be part-Saxon, so it's over a thousand years old.  That makes it old enough for the Middle Ages, and then some!  Movie makers would find too many modern graves in the churchyard to make things easy, but no doubt they'd cope, and longer shots would be fine.  We rarely get hoar frost like that, though.

Gailin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I feel like I am at an AA meeting.
Hi my name is Ron, and I am a geek.  (murmur of hi Ron can be heard)

Seriously though, I am 33 and live in Arizona.  I have been architecting, building, supporting or testing software for about 15 years.  I currently work from home full time for a large financial technology company and spend my free time being a dad.  For the past few years my work has been primarily focused on performance engineering of enterprise Java applications and testing of our software products.  

For the last year and a half I have been disabled while fighting Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, and am currently still in the thick of that battle.  One of the things this has allowed me to do is have a little time to perhaps rekindle the fire that brought me into programming in the first place.  And seeing the great signal-to-noise ratio of the forums and the impromptu style coding opportunities is kind of exciting.  Who knows, I may quickly learn how to take advantage of AHK more and throw together some fun and hopeful useful utilities.  Something to reverse my oft said phrase, "Nothing kills a hobby like making it your day job."

Thanks you for providing the forums and software that inspire a geek like me to break out a text editor again.

Ron

Update: Just noticed that I am reply # 666  wonder if that means anything. pU0gI.gif
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:43 PM by Gailin »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
# 666  wonder if that means anything
-Gailin

Means you're very welcome here and we hope you have a devil of a good time!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@Gailin - welcome an well met!  Always a pleasure to hear a new voice entering the conversation.  :)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
-Gailin

-cranioscopical (February 14, 2011, 07:59 PM)

Perhaps you could demonstrate to the newcomer exactly what you mean?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
-Gailin

A suggestion that comes in the Nick of time.  Jump into the forums Gailin!

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
-Gailin

A suggestion that comes in the Nick of time.  Jump into the forums Gailin!
-cranioscopical (February 14, 2011, 09:32 PM)

and be sure to vist the coding snacks forum - you well be able to exorcise your geek ;)

Clara Listensprechen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi guys--just registered as a result of a discussion about somebody who, from what I hear, is infamous on this site (as he is elsewhere in cyberspace including my own board): Gri. I'm certainly interested in browsing mods to SMF, since I run two boards using that code. I don't know more than entry-level coding and so code tweaking is the maximum of my talents; can't really author any of it as such.

Pleased to meet y'all!  Gri, I'm already familiar with :D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pleased to meet y'all!
-Clara Listensprechen (February 20, 2011, 01:33 PM)

Hi, welcome!

Clara Listensprechen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you!