Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 21, 2014, 08:38:36 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 34 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 346301 times)
Oldi
Participant

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #650 on: November 29, 2010, 02:07:41 AM »

oh sorry for the bad site promotion, i thinks that is ok because the links are nofollow.  embarassed Yes the 2nd site is about old cars insurance, i have a insurance company and there you can compared different insureance.

kyrathaba
N.A.N.Y. Organizer
Honorary Member

while(! dead_horse){beat}

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #651 on: December 01, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »

Bryan Miller
2nd marriage (hers too): 2 years along and going strong...

B.A. in psychology
M.Ed. in counseling
licensed psychotherapist in Kentucky

2 children
3 stepchildren

Been in the psychotherapy business 12 years now.

Programming is a hobby.  Started with BASIC, then Visual Basic 6.0, now C# and .NET.  Also, taught myself rudimentary HTML coding.

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit-SP1 AMD Athlon II X2 220 Socket AM3 (938) @ 2.1GHz 6GB RAM Firefox 26.0
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm fighting against patent trolls. Join me and tell your representative to support the #SHIELDAct: https://eff.org/r.b6JJ /via @EFF

My DC page: http://kyrathaba.dcmembers.com | My blog: http://williambryanmiller.com/ | Proofreading Service: http://bit.ly/1fQSqQP

HorseDuck
Supporting Member

2nd son of CodeTRUCKER

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #652 on: December 02, 2010, 12:40:37 AM »

Craft House Services, in which I service and repair all makes and models of sewing machines.
My dad had a sewing machine repair business for several years before he retired (I worked with him for awhile).

The motors are insanely expensive and frequently hard to find ... but they are also quite easy to repair/rebuild. Smooth the commentator and replace the brushes. If it was made well to start with it'll run for another forever.

Wow! What a small world it is that we live in.  You are right about the older motors.  I had a customer about two years ago that had an older Pfaff machine that was in good condition but the motor had stopped working.  After taking some time looking over it I replaced the brushes and smoothed the commentator, it worked like a brand new motor, and as far as I know is still running strong.
HorseDuck
Supporting Member

2nd son of CodeTRUCKER

« Reply #653 on: December 02, 2010, 01:23:37 AM »

Welcome, HorseDuck! I'm with phitsc - impressed by your instrumental abilities; I wish I had applied myself and learned to play an instrument well when I was younger. Of course, it's never too late... Anyway, enjoy the DC experience!

You are right Darwin.  I wish myself that I had applied myself even more to my instruments than I did.  While I do know the general basics to each of the instruments that I listed I am far from being at able to play any of them at a professional level.  Everything that I know so far was either taught to me by my dad or self taught.  I have just recently been able to discover some more formal lessons for banjo that I am taking in the form of instructional DVD.  I plan to tackle each instrument one by one and further enhance my skills.

A few weeks ago my dad was talking with a professional pianist/music professor after a small concert.  During the conversation the pianist said that people come up to him all the time wanting to know how he got to be able to play like that, expecting that he could give them something and, all the sudden they would be able to play like like him.  Unfortunately what people don't seem to realize is that there is no magic potion that anyone can give you that is going to transform you into a professional stage performer.  If you are going to play like those such as Johann Sebastian Bach it is going to take long hours of plain hard work!  Now don't be discouraged by this, I did not say this to discourage you but rather to encourage you not to give up when you can't play Beethoven's Fifth right out of the box.  Don't be discouraged by what you don't know, find an instrument that you would like to learn, find a good teacher or some good lessons and and get to work.  If you dedicate yourself to learning and practicing regularly, then trust me, there will come a day when you will be rewarded for your hard work.

Wishing you the best in your musical adventures,

HorseDuck
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 01:30:00 AM by HorseDuck » Logged
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #654 on: December 02, 2010, 08:37:26 AM »

Thanks, HorseDuck! My wife is fond of tossing out Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hours rule on the subject of achieving expertise in a chosen endeavour. I've tried to read the book (Outliers) a few times but can't get past the first couple of pages.

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #655 on: December 09, 2010, 02:57:32 PM »

Holcombe Old Church in hoar frost.  There will be details of the church here, but the Coleford and Holcombe churches have only just got their Web site and it's only a holding page as yet.

* resized_P1010333.jpg (147.77 KB, 959x719 - viewed 159 times.)
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #656 on: December 10, 2010, 04:41:50 AM »

Holcombe Old Church in hoar frost.  There will be details of the church here, but the Coleford and Holcombe churches have only just got their Web site and it's only a holding page as yet.

another beautiful image - very classically 'English' looking smiley

Tom
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #657 on: December 10, 2010, 08:00:10 AM »

Holcombe Old Church

Hey, I've been there (my mother used to live in Barnstaple)!

Chris
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #658 on: December 10, 2010, 02:19:58 PM »

Thanks  smiley  I could have done without the wires; maybe should have walked closer, but that might have changed everything else.  Had to have a go, though; we very rarely see hoar frost like that in this country.
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #659 on: December 10, 2010, 02:23:19 PM »

Hey, I've been there (my mother used to live in Barnstaple)!
It's some way (by UK standards) from Barnstaple - but a lot farther from Canada, so glad you saw it when you could  smiley
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #660 on: December 10, 2010, 02:31:59 PM »

I could have done without the wires

I think they're fine - they even look green which gives them a nice oxidised copper look.
They can disrupt an image, but there's a bit of an obsession with getting rid of them when it's often not necessary imo - I like reality smiley
Here's a view from my window, with loads of wires... smiley

Tom
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #661 on: December 10, 2010, 03:02:03 PM »

a view from my window, with loads of wires... smiley
You've done a nice job of turning them into a featuresmiley
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #662 on: February 07, 2011, 04:43:00 AM »

Thanks  smiley  I could have done without the wires; maybe should have walked closer, but that might have changed everything else.  Had to have a go, though; we very rarely see hoar frost like that in this country.
Fantastic image! For some reason, it first gave me a romantic feel, and the second time I looked, it changed to scary tongue
ps: I had to go back and look for the wires Wink

rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #663 on: February 07, 2011, 09:14:58 AM »

Fantastic image! For some reason, it first gave me a romantic feel, and the second time I looked, it changed to scary tongue
ps: I had to go back and look for the wires Wink

If you mean my photo, rather than tomos', then thanks!  smiley  I believe that what you get out of a photograph depends on what you bring to it - and by the same token, you photograph things, and photograph them in particular ways, depending on what sort of person you are, and what's in your mind.  I've always had a strong liking for fantasy and science fiction, so maybe that's part of where your dual response came from  smiley
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #664 on: February 08, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »

[yes, I meant your photo, rjbull Wink]

smiley That makes sense, I think that a photograph is like seeing the world through other people's eyes, that's why I don't find my own photos very interesting Wink
I could easily imagine that church as filming location for a few fantasy/medieval movies!

rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #665 on: February 08, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »

I think that a photograph is like seeing the world through other people's eyes, that's why I don't find my own photos very interesting Wink

I once heard a photographic club judge say he liked a photo that told a story.  I've always thought I'd rather have a photo that could inspire a story  smiley

I could easily imagine that church as filming location for a few fantasy/medieval movies!

Nobody seems to know when the church was built; it looks to be part-Saxon, so it's over a thousand years old.  That makes it old enough for the Middle Ages, and then some!  Movie makers would find too many modern graves in the churchyard to make things easy, but no doubt they'd cope, and longer shots would be fine.  We rarely get hoar frost like that, though.
Gailin
Supporting Member

« Reply #666 on: February 14, 2011, 06:33:59 PM »

I feel like I am at an AA meeting.
Hi my name is Ron, and I am a geek.  (murmur of hi Ron can be heard)

Seriously though, I am 33 and live in Arizona.  I have been architecting, building, supporting or testing software for about 15 years.  I currently work from home full time for a large financial technology company and spend my free time being a dad.  For the past few years my work has been primarily focused on performance engineering of enterprise Java applications and testing of our software products.  

For the last year and a half I have been disabled while fighting Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, and am currently still in the thick of that battle.  One of the things this has allowed me to do is have a little time to perhaps rekindle the fire that brought me into programming in the first place.  And seeing the great signal-to-noise ratio of the forums and the impromptu style coding opportunities is kind of exciting.  Who knows, I may quickly learn how to take advantage of AHK more and throw together some fun and hopeful useful utilities.  Something to reverse my oft said phrase, "Nothing kills a hobby like making it your day job."

Thanks you for providing the forums and software that inspire a geek like me to break out a text editor again.

Ron

Update: Just noticed that I am reply # 666  wonder if that means anything. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:43:59 PM by Gailin » Logged
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #667 on: February 14, 2011, 07:59:43 PM »

Quote from: Gailin
# 666  wonder if that means anything

Means you're very welcome here and we hope you have a devil of a good time!

Chris
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #668 on: February 14, 2011, 09:03:34 PM »

@Gailin - welcome an well met!  Always a pleasure to hear a new voice entering the conversation.  smiley

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
CodeTRUCKER
Supporting Member

Bush Flying... where I'd rather be.

« Reply #669 on: February 14, 2011, 09:18:23 PM »

Perhaps you could demonstrate to the newcomer exactly what you mean?

I applaud those that refuse to commit "intellectual suicide."

Truth, unlike opinion, tradition, etc. will always be able to stand on its own.  Truth is not a static, but a living entity and will perpetually impart life; therefore, any "truth" that does not or can not impart life can not be Truth.

I am persuaded the only reason bad men have succeeded is not because good men have done nothing, but that good men did not do enough.

An Open Letter to My Friends

Notice: - Unless stated otherwise, I receive no compensation for anything I post here.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #670 on: February 14, 2011, 09:32:22 PM »

A suggestion that comes in the Nick of time.  Jump into the forums Gailin!

Chris
Target
Honorary Member

« Reply #671 on: February 14, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »

A suggestion that comes in the Nick of time.  Jump into the forums Gailin!

and be sure to vist the coding snacks forum - you well be able to exorcise your geek Wink

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
Clara Listensprechen
Participant

« Reply #672 on: February 20, 2011, 01:33:05 PM »

Hi guys--just registered as a result of a discussion about somebody who, from what I hear, is infamous on this site (as he is elsewhere in cyberspace including my own board): Gri. I'm certainly interested in browsing mods to SMF, since I run two boards using that code. I don't know more than entry-level coding and so code tweaking is the maximum of my talents; can't really author any of it as such.

Pleased to meet y'all!  Gri, I'm already familiar with cheesy
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #673 on: February 20, 2011, 01:44:21 PM »

Pleased to meet y'all!

Hi, welcome!

Chris
Clara Listensprechen
Participant

« Reply #674 on: February 20, 2011, 01:51:19 PM »

Thank you!
Pages: Prev 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 34 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to: