Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 20, 2014, 08:30:06 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 34 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 314004 times)
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #600 on: May 31, 2010, 09:28:04 AM »

Welcome RingtailedFox, from another Canadian smiley
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #601 on: May 31, 2010, 11:03:46 AM »

And another!

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #602 on: May 31, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »

And another!
And yet another!

Chris
PhilB66
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #603 on: May 31, 2010, 07:39:07 PM »

And another!
And yet another!

Great info. You all have been labeled. Now I know who to blame for...  cheesy
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #604 on: May 31, 2010, 08:43:14 PM »

Great info. You all have been labeled. Now I know who to blame for...

"Blame Canada"!

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
mofohobo
Supporting Member

« Reply #605 on: June 29, 2010, 04:23:39 PM »

Hello from Ohio. smiley  ...lurking and learning.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #606 on: June 29, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »

Hiya, mofohobo!

Chris
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #607 on: June 29, 2010, 08:25:23 PM »

Welcome, mofohobo (that's quite a handle!)  Thmbsup

CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #608 on: June 30, 2010, 02:02:33 AM »

Grin

If you need help - JUST ASK!
Pschmidt
Participant

« Reply #609 on: August 20, 2010, 06:28:13 AM »

Hey hey!
My name is Peter and would like to introduce myself. I'm 27 years old and I'm living in Hannover in the north of Germany. Therefore, I'm working as an Audio and Video Engineer at The White Studios where we produce imagefilms, commercials and also music videos as you can see by visiting the homepage. So anybody needs a video or audio prodduction like an imagefilm or anything else just let me know ;-)

greetings!  smiley
CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #610 on: August 23, 2010, 07:24:59 AM »

Nice to know!  Thmbsup

sandyjames
Participant

« Reply #611 on: August 24, 2010, 01:24:55 PM »

I am a girl who is into computers.... is that so wrong!?  cheesy
CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

« Reply #612 on: August 28, 2010, 04:03:52 AM »

Absolutely not! Plenty gals on DC who are PC Savvy!

AlSweigart
Honorary Member

« Reply #613 on: September 04, 2010, 04:02:27 PM »

Hi, I'm Al. I like to write useful software and give it away for free. I've written a book called "Invent Your Own Computer Games with Python" which is in print on Amazon (get the 2nd edition, not the other one) and available in full online at http://inventwithpython.com

I'm from Texas, currently living in San Francisco, and like to haunt coffeeshops and work from my laptop. I have a day job as a software developer (currently mostly Python and JavaScript), but always have a million side projects going on. My blog is at http://coffeeghost.net

Glad to join the forum!
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #614 on: September 04, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »

It's great to see you posting here Al! Welcome  Kiss

Like many others, I learned to program as a young kid because I wanted to make my own games (the bible when i was learning was "Basic Computer Games" by David Ahl).. I've written about your book before on DC, and I think it would be a fantastic gift for a kid who wants to learn to program.
otieatkins
Supporting Member

« Reply #615 on: September 17, 2010, 05:29:39 AM »

I'm from the beautiful little town of Belgrade, Maine USA.  I used to be a COBOL programmer!! I worked for the US Treasury, worked for a company that went around the US writing and installing Registry of Deeds systems, worked for a couple of banks (boring!!!), worked for WANG Labs in the manufacturing systems group and many more.  I've had a wonderful career but retired about 2 years ago. I found that getting older limited my learning capacity and I just couldn't get a handle on the new programming. I love this newsletter, but, to be perfectly honest, I have absolutely no idea about a lot of the stuff you kids talk about! So remember, when you write about new stuff, use the "old lady" factor so I don't feel so dumb!!  All you kids keep up the great work you're doing - you are our future!!
AussieRodney
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #616 on: September 17, 2010, 06:25:03 AM »

COBOL. Yeah!  And Pascal, Fortran, Snobol, punched cards & 11x15 inch fanfold paper!  I now have more processing power in my laptop then the entire Computer Centre had back then. And my file server has more grunt than what they took to the moon.

BTW, if you had shown Neil Armstrong a digital watch back then, he wouldn't have known what it was or how it worked.

Life is not a dress rehearsal, it's the real thing.
otieatkins
Supporting Member

« Reply #617 on: September 17, 2010, 10:00:22 AM »

Oh AussieRodney, do you ever bring back memories....  The computer used to take up an entire wall of a very good sized room.  And the cards - I couldn't tell you how many times I dropped a deck and it took me hours to get it back together again! And never mind the card jams!!  Then eventually we made the big move to disks. They were the size of a big tire and must have weighed about 40 pounds. Is was a wonderful adventure back then. So exciting - these "computer things". And to say you worked with them gave you instant Geek status! I could write anything in cobol - today I can't write a working SQL statement - especially if it has sub instructions. Do I miss it? Hell yea!! Would I ever go back? Can't. Just don't have the illogical thinking of today's computer languages. Cobol was cut and dried, it either worked or it didn't.
satishchandra
Supporting Member

« Reply #618 on: October 05, 2010, 12:33:29 PM »

well i am a professional surgeon from india was bitten by sw bug long back
but i have done hardware assembly
and i am a spine surgeon to be precise like the tech part of everything
i enjoy this forum as a idea generation site

Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #619 on: October 05, 2010, 01:24:25 PM »

Welcome Pschmidt, sandyjames , AlSweigart, otieatkins, and satishchandra!

Roadie
Participant

« Reply #620 on: October 08, 2010, 09:35:42 PM »

This site seems like a really great idea and I see that it has created quite a lot of interest and I wanna play too.

I'm not a coder but I sure like working with them.

As a veteran graphic artist I first found computers in 1980 when I migrated into typography. That progressed into mainframe systems that I could compose entire pages of ads and news. The vendor liked my style and hired me to travel, train, install and help evolve their mainly news centric system into a complete package for ad production and complete pagination. I spent 18 years with them, my favorite chore was being a liaison between users and engineers. My favorite things to do were icons, GUIs, dialog boxes, macros and lots and lots and lots of testing. I write a mean bug report (errr... sorry, that should say, "issue report" Wink ) with ALL the facts.

There are some that are into hardware, some into software, but I like to say that I'm into wetware.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:41:10 AM by Roadie » Logged
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #621 on: October 08, 2010, 10:03:08 PM »

Hi Roadie,

You should fit right in  smiley

Chris
CleverCat
Supporting Member

Cat's Are Fun!

« Reply #622 on: October 10, 2010, 03:15:32 AM »

well i am a professional surgeon from india was bitten by sw bug long back
but i have done hardware assembly
and i am a spine surgeon to be precise like the tech part of everything
i enjoy this forum as a idea generation site

Welcome! Maybe you can give us some 'Backup' tips?  Grin Grin

CodeTRUCKER
Supporting Member

Bush Flying... where I'd rather be.

« Reply #623 on: October 19, 2010, 08:02:53 PM »

Welcome! Maybe you can give us some 'Backup' tips?  Grin Grin

Clever!  Wink
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:06:24 PM by CodeTRUCKER » Logged

I applaud those that refuse to commit "intellectual suicide."

Truth, unlike opinion, tradition, etc. will always be able to stand on its own.  Truth is not a static, but a living entity and will perpetually impart life; therefore, any "truth" that does not or can not impart life can not be Truth.

I am persuaded the only reason bad men have succeeded is not because good men have done nothing, but that good men did not do enough.

An Open Letter to My Friends

Notice: - Unless stated otherwise, I receive no compensation for anything I post here.
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #624 on: October 19, 2010, 08:23:22 PM »

Clever!  Wink

They don't call her CleverCat for nothing haha

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
Pages: Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 34 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.051s | Server load: 0.1 ]