ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?

<< < (184/187) > >>

NSDebi:
Hi,
I'm Debi and currently live in Moncton, New Brunswick Canada.  My family originates from Blockhouse, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia.
I was an Army brat and spend two tours in Germany while my father was stationed there.  I graduated from Baden Senior High School in 1975 and a few month's later returned to Canada where I found a job in our Federal Government.  I retired after 20 years, and did odd temporary jobs to keep me busy.  I am not all the proficient with computers, but somehow found you guys many years ago when I was searching for something to make life easier.  I have no idea what it even was, but I enjoyed reading all about the stuff yo smart tech people do, so I stayed.  My Mum passes away 6 years ago and left me a tri-plex.  So, I am currently a landlady who lives in the same space on the main floor, and has 2-1 bedroom apt's on the second floor and 1-1 bedroom in the basement that I rent.  I wish there was an app that I could download and use on potential tenants as a lie detecting tool, because I seem to have the worse luck getting ones that can actually afford to pay rent and won't leave the place destroyed when evicted.  Bet I'm not alone either...lol.
I have a boyfriend, and today is our third dating Anniversary.  I have 2 dogs and a parrot.  The old lady Pom Foxi-Gurl arrived blind in one eye, and now is blind in the other eye because of cataracts.  We adopted her as a senior and estimate her to be between 15 and 17 yrs. old.  She is also pretty much deaf, but still manages to make her way around to eat and go potty.  My other dog is a Biewer Blueberry Merle Yorkie.  He has one blue eye and one brown eye and was born deaf.  I am amazed at how much he learns and communicates even though he can't hear a thing.  He will be 2 in April.  People ask all the time is deaf dogs bark...OMG they bark, wimper, whine, snort and snore like any other dog.  He tends to keep an eye on one of us at all times waiting for hand signals to come etc. but just like a hearing dog he sometimes ignores us.  The parrot I got from a friend about 20 years ago when her kids were outgrowing him and he was left home alot. He is an African Senegal.  I had to make sure I added him to my will because he can live for another 40-50 years, and will no doubt outlive me.
Hopefully, I haven't bored you too much with this bio.  I've left out alot....your welcome  :D  I was going to include pics, but the window that popped up confused me  :huh:....oh maybe I can....gonna try  :-\.....think I did it  :D :D :D

holt:
^Hi Debi! :) You're not boring at all. Your post reminded me of our Chihuahua-Dachshund mix we had when I was a young man; when he turned old and gray-muzzled and went totally blind, he would use his nose for a blind man's white cane substitute to bump his way slowly around in the house, and he actually seemed happier after he went blind than at any prior time in his entire life.

irkregent:
Well, since I have not yet posted in this thread, this is as good a time as any.

I am Keith, from southeast Michigan, though I am fortunate enough to be able spend winter seasons in southwest Florida.

For a living I have been a database software developer for over 15 years, specializing in the Progress OpenEdge development environment.  I have been fortunate enough to be able to work remotely on a contract basis for a number of years.  However, with the current COVD-19 panic and likely recession to follow, I have no idea where my career path will lead next.  I should take this downtime as a chance to diversify.  Python, for one, is intriguing and seems to be high in demand.

I enjoy programming, and got my college degree in Computer Science.  I am old enough to have done a good bit of Pascal programming as part of my degree program, and I have to admit I miss Pascal.

Interests include sports car racing (watching, not driving), especially IMSA and Formula 1; photography; and computers in general.

So, that's me in a nutshell.

NSDebi:
Hi Holt,
Thank you for your reply.  I am so sorry for your condition, but if Michael J Fox has taught us anything, you can still live a pretty active life and continue doing things you love.  Wishing you many more years with your significant other :)
Thank you for linking some of your words, because once I am finished typing, I will be checking out what the heck they mean.  I  have no idea how to take a computer apart or delve into its brain.  Right now, my Windows 10 laptop has Windows update shut off (I tried applying the fix thru my laptop and a fixing program I have installed)and some guy wanted $250.00us to go into my laptop and turn it back on and fix any errors I have.  I'm semi retired and heat my house and water with oil.  Thanks to my Prime Minister, I have carbon tax and Gst tax tacked on to a delivery.  I ordered $500.00 in oil the other day, and lost about $100.00 worth in tax if not more.  So, to give this person money was way beyond my means.  I don't need window updates that bad!
Take care, and stay safe during these trying times.

holt:
irkregent
-NSDebi (March 25, 2020, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hi Debi, Some like to say, 'Laugh, and the world laughs with you; cry, and you cry alone'. But others say (as I'm fond of telling my wife), 'A joy shared is twice a joy, and a sorrow shared is half a sorrow'.
So, somewhere in there, is hopefully a bit of wisdom, and a few smiling faces, and maybe a broken heart or two, all looking to share, and live, and find a bit of laughter amidst the tears. :)

irkregent, Welcome aboard!...and the same again to you Debi!
DonationCoder can always use another programmer and code writer. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version