topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1019072 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Member
« Reply #875 on: June 22, 2016, 07:12 AM »
Strange place to introduce yourself, but...hey...welcome!  :D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #876 on: June 22, 2016, 11:17 AM »
Perhaps they were presenting themselves for our review...?

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #877 on: June 22, 2016, 11:24 AM »

They didn't give us much to work with  ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi Friends,

I am a software developer in Michigan,i would like to shre the some ideas.

Thanks
Strange place to introduce yourself, but...hey...welcome!  :D
-Stephen66515 (June 22, 2016, 07:12 AM)

They didn't give us much to work with  ;D
-Stephen66515 (June 22, 2016, 11:24 AM)

The above messages were merged into this thread from the Mini-Reviews by Members section of the forum.

Carl Stone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • Steel knows not whether it is new or old.
    • View Profile
    • Carls-Shop
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

Carl Stone here from a small town in Illinois near St. Louis, MO. called South Roxana, IL.
I'm 45 years old, been married and divorced, still recovering financially and otherwise from
all that.  I have a background in industry as a Drafter / CAD Designer / Machinist working with
both manual and CNC equipment.  In 2006 during yet another industry layoff I learned of some
striking similarities between Thomas Alva Edison's technical career and my own.

In the absence of decent employment opportunities in my field over the past decade due to
globalization and the exportation of industrial jobs, I have made it my mission to raise the funds
and resources necessary to outfit my own small home based artisan blacksmith and machine shop
to preserve the skills and practices that I was originally taught as a manual machine shop trainee
back in the early 1990's.  While my new shop's staple product line will be various forms of cutlery
that I will be making from recycled steel and other recycled materials, I hope to eventually get to
do some seat of the pants inventing like Edison used to do back in the day.   Not all of his work
as an inventor was popular.......but it was work that he thought was necessary at the time.

Like the self-sufficient electric automobile that recharged it's own batteries as it was driven.
It cost Edison his position at GE and almost cost him his job at the Ford Motor Company.
Everyone thought it couldn't be done, and laughed at him when he took the challenge.
When he provided a working prototype (pictured below) they all gasped and demanded
his ouster from GE's board of directors, citing a conflict of interest with GE's stockholders.
(Mostly Oil and  Petroleum Tycoons and Banking Executives of that day.)    :-\

Just think if Edison had the internet at his disposal back in the day
how much more he could have accomplished with what he was doing?
I'm setting up shop to try and do it again.......to find out.

And I could use some public support to get it up and running because
banks and investment firms want nothing to do with this effort or anything
similar to it, they regard my efforts as a conflict of interest since they are
all so heavily invested in oil and petroleum.

Any and all help and support to move this
effort forward is much appreciated.  Thanks.

Planting the seed for the next generation
of American Industry.....help is needed.

https://www.gofundme.com/Carls-Shop
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:42 PM by Carl Stone, Reason: Typos and mispellings »

Zyreenjen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm from the Philippines, 20 years old will be graduating for my college degree tomorrow. I'm an IT student. but not really good at coding haha. My dream is to become a policewoman but ended up in IT. XD I'm new here nice to meet you all.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
will be graduating for my college degree tomorrow
congratulations
:Thmbsup:
and welcome to dc
Tom

aheezahns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

I am new to the site. I have been lurking for a week or so. I don't have a lot of experience with computers. I do like to learn new stuff. When I found this site it looked real interesting. So I decided to donate and see what I can learn. I will be reading and trying different downloads and asking questions.

I do want to say that I do thank you for sharing your knowledge. And I look forward to interacting with you all.

robinsleica

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi I am robin, and I am from Canada. I am a software engineering student!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
welcome to DC, aheezahns and robin!  :up:

crazyrob79

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I m Robert from Mississippi and US NAVY Vet served 7 yrs. master mason and shriner, got AAS deg. in Computer networking technology never did anything with didnt really know anything about it after never studied enough ahha , just joined this site today and downloaded the screen captor program which I really like. I m unemployed at the moment

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ hi Robert, welcome to dc :)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Welcome robert -- please don't use text formatting to make your messages bold or colored -- it hurts our eyes!

Carl Stone

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • Steel knows not whether it is new or old.
    • View Profile
    • Carls-Shop
    • Donate to Member

Hello Everyone,

Carl Stone here from South Roxana, IL.
I have a background in industry as a CAD Drafter, Designer, Machinist, and Fabricator.
And I'm interested in getting into blacksmithing as an Artisan Blacksmith and Knife Maker.
Due to all the recent exportation of American Jobs I am kind of semi-retired at the moment.
My past employers and my shrink seem to think I need my own small shop instead of looking
for my next industry layoff in the job market, and I agree wholeheartedly.  The problem is
that banks and lenders are not lending for new business start-ups of any kind, and besides
it makes no sense for me to go into debt up to my ears before I even get my shop outfitted
and start making things to sell.  So at the advice of a few investment / hedge fund managers
I've put together an online fundraising campaign on GoFundMe.com

There's no pressure to contribute if you can't or choose not to at this time.
But one way or another no matter how long it takes me to raise the needed
funds to outfit my small artisan machine and fabrication shop, it's going to happen.
After nearly 20 years of industrial work experience in other shops, outfitting my
own small shop and business is the next natural progression for a technical career
such as mine.  In 2006, during yet another industry layoff I was informed that I
had achieved a higher level of formal education and industrial work experience
than that once possessed by the late inventor Thomas Alva Edison at the height
of his career while working with Nikola Tesla at General Electric.

Long story short......I need my own shop to do my own thing moving forward.
They pointed out to me, that neither Edison or Henry Ford either one had the
internet or CNC state of the art machine shop equipment at their disposal back
in their day....yet they accomplished more than most people today with all of
this technology and technological advancements at their disposal.

Things that make you go......"Hmm".
Planting the seed for the next generation
of American Industry.....help is needed.

https://www.gofundme.com/Carls-Shop

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
I have been around here for a little but never posted on this topic...

Chris Gingerich - Background is CAD and Civil Design. Taught myself programming and was lucky enough to fall into a programming job where I could work from home for a while (about 2-3 years) then was moved to my current location in Chapel Hill, NC where I have been since. I am the IT Administrator and lead programmer for InsureSign (InsureSign.com) for the past 6 years. Have 2 kids, Carissa 5 and Logan 14 today (7/14). Still struggle day to day to make ends meet, but I love coding and will keep doing it as long as I can.

baalimago

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hello!

i am imago

im strange. live in sweden.

i'm good at stuff. really good.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi Peggy77, and welcome to donationcoder :up:

That site is nice and clean looking. I'm always curious about different careers -- I know the very basics of html, and know next to nothing about databases. Did you study that combination, or learn on a job?

Re the graphics, when you say develop your skills, do you mean technical, or design (or both). Again wondering, would you do a course then, or learn en-route.
I use graphics software (photoshop illustrator), but for semi-technical illustration. Tried my hand at doing a couple of small graphics jobs for friends, and realised I either dont have a natural talent, or it requires work/(study?) before you learn to create something good. Also created one simple website -- wasn't really happy with how it looked. (It never came to be anyways.)
Tom

mouse53

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello all I am another mouse, mouse53.  I am from Redding,California ,USA. We are about 2 hours from the Oregon border and it gets really hot here in the summer,  like about 110 or more.  I am now retired at 65,  never thought I would be this old, lol.  I was a Sheetmetal Worker for many years,  a tree trimmer for a utility company trimming the trees away from the high power lines, made corrugated pipe for a while,  did HVAC installations running crews installing the duct and equipment in new homes and commercial jobs,  and was a Maintenance Tech the last 12 years repairing everything in the home for a property management company.  Had my own repair business for a while,  doing cabinets,  carpentry,  plumbing,  and light electrical.  Went back to college in 1996,  got a degree in business,  am HVAC Certified Universal for the EPA,  and a certified Pool Operator for swimming pools and spas. And I still don't know what I want to be when i grow up. I know that seems like a lot,  but spans 49 years of working. Have 3 ex-wifes,  4 sons all grown,  and 7 grandkids. I got into computers late,  like 1996,  love gaming,  Armored Warfare,  Firefall,  Couterstrike Global Op, Defiance,  All of the Myst series ,  URU online,  and Obduction.

I think mouser is doing a great job and hope to continue helping when I can.Will have to find my pics and post some here. You all seem like a nice bunch here.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Glad to hear more about your life mouse53 -- it's always nice to have more people post here on this thread and share a bit of their lives with us  :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I know that seems like a lot,  but spans 49 years of working.

Welcome!

Busy.pngOK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?

mouse53

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am trying to keep myself busy with more games,  built myself a racing simulator,  and lots of woodworking projects. Thanks for the welcome.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
and lots of woodworking projects

There are quite a few of us here who like doing woodworking (for example see this thread).  Feel free to post some photos!

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome new people! Hopefully you can find some threads that interest you! (if not, make some!!!)

I look forward to hearing more from you guys :D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome, HenryShrt!

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello,
I am from the United Kingdom and I am a student now. You know, I am fond of programming and technologies in general. I tried myself in a lot of different deals like painting, writing, photography and so on and so forth. And right now I am sure that I was born for C++ programming and for creating a software. So I am learning cybernetics, maths, and programming. But I didn't stop painting despite the fact that  I paint not really often. Also I am familiar with Java and a little bit Python, but C++ seems to be more interesting.

Hello fellow Brit!