topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1019098 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Welcome back scancode.

ilikefree09

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Free Software And Guides
    • Donate to Member
I'm a 56 year old male from Nelson New Zealand. I work for a motor vehicle trader placing vehicles on trademe for the company.
I started playing with computers in 2004 and now have a website just starting out that has links to free for personal use software and tools with some guides on how I would show my mother how to use some of them.
My site is ilikefree.co
Thinking of adding a blog to my site when I learn how. ;)
shit doesn't just happen there's always an arsehole involved

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Greetings to Middle-Earth ...er, sorry, New Zealand - and welcome to Donation Coder ilikefree09! :Thmbsup:

Be sure to join in the discussions. Lots of stuff to talk about around here. And a new perspective or opinion is always welcome. So don't be a stranger. :)

ilikefree09

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the welcome.
Have to sneak on to the site as should be working.
Moved and no internet at my new place yet, working on it.

clk4suport

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
HI there,

i am Suraj Kumar.....  i am marketing head... i m from India.

ilikefree09

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Suraj Kumar, What sort of business do you work from?
Are you working in IT?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome and well met Suraj! :Thmbsup:

dmytron

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My name is Dmytro. I am from Ukraine.

I am an amateurish coder with some skill in Delphi (but now I use Lazarus). I want my apps to be stored somewhere and to be seen by anyone else. Also some money motivation wouldn't be too bad ;).

I may ask questions about deploying, programming, releasing apps and so on. Please don't hesitate to answer me.

Nice to meet you!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to the site, dmytron! Glad to meet you :Thmbsup:

May I suggest you consider participating in our NANY programming event this year? More info here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=39202.0

dmytron

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How many pieces of software one can write for NANY? 'Cause there's more than two months till the January.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can write as many as you want (but you still only get 1 commemorative mug).

dmytron

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What will happen to the other my written pieces of software?

Where is the thread where I can ask basic questions about the site and how it works?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can ask here if you want. Not sure I understand your question "What will happen to the other my written pieces of software?" -- can you explain?

dmytron

• Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure I understand your question
I withdraw my question.

What's with registration codes? What DC software written by a forum coders has to be registered? Is it an obligation to add registration to my software?

What apps can I post here? Can they be small, silly applications or do they have to have serious practical usage (like sCheckbook?)? Can I post, for examples, games here?

What kind of software usually gets donated and what is "usual" amount?

BTW, thanks for kind words.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Your software belongs to you. You are not required to add registration to your software. You can make just about any kind of software, including games (which is what I usually make for NANY). See previous NANY entries below:

NANY 2014
NANY 2013
NANY 2012
NANY 2011
NANY 2010
NANY 2009
NANY 2008
NANY 2007

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We welcome all apps -- however I have bad news for you regarding receiving donations -- it's very rare to receive donations and they will be small.  that's just the reality of it.  if money is important you should try selling your software as shareware or making mobile apps that can be charged for in the store.
donationware will bring you appreciation and encouragement and interesting friends and users.  we love donationware here and we try to all support it, but the reality is that there is very very little you will receive in donations.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:49 PM by skwire, Reason: Spelling... »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We welcome all apps -- however I have bad news for you regarding receiving donations -- it's very rare to receive donations and they will be small.  that's just the reality of it.  if money is important you should try selling your software as shareware or making mobile apps that can be charged for in the store.
donationware will bring you appreciation and encouragement and interesting friends and users.  we love donationware here and we try to all support it, but the reality is that there is very very little you will receive in donations.

"If it makes some money, then brilliant...if it doesn't...then oh well.  So long as at least 1 person enjoys using it...or you enjoyed making it...then it doesn't really matter"

That is how most Software that gets released on DonationCoder is released as...it is about the fun, the programming, the friendships, and the community.  We love free Software  :D

TailsLover

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello there this is really my first time here , so any advice would be helpful

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Advice? Just be nice  :) then read the topic-title, and if you think you have something useful to add, reply. Or ask, if you have questions.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Advice? Just be nice  :) then read the topic-title, and if you think you have something useful to add, reply. Or ask, if you have questions.

It's pretty much guaranteed that whenever you join in nobody will be unkind in any way. Most will be patient, many will be informative, all will be polite. Join in, you can't go wrong  :)

vortext

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you for your site. I have been visiting silently for some time but have not participated until now. I am a student studying to be an engineer in an American university. My command of English is ok but not colloquial since it is not my native language. I will do my best to make myself understandable.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you for your site. I have been visiting silently for some time but have not participated until now. I am a student studying to be an engineer in an American university. My command of English is ok but not colloquial since it is not my native language. I will do my best to make myself understandable.
welcome to dc vortext :)

perfectly clear English btw :up:
(if you have trouble with any colloquialisms, just ask!)
Tom

wut?!

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
  • Grainy and juicy.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This place is great. The more I lurk around, the more I like it.

I'm an IT/network admin in the southwest US. I've been a FLOSS junkie since I installed Yellow Dog Linux on my Powermac G4 in 2003. I built my first x86 box in 2004. It had an AMD 2800+, 4GiB of ram and I was STOKED about it. From there I went through ubuntu (That was 5.04, Hoary Hedgehog. I remember how awesome the upgrade to Breezy was. It fixed tons of bugs for me.), Mint, Gentoo, and Debian. I now run Parabola, and I think I found my home there. I used to be a KDE fan, but I really can't stand KDE 4. I'm now running Awesome WM and really loving it. It's fully customizable through Lua scripts, so I'm learning lots of Lua.

Personally, Windows provides me with entertainment in the form of games. Professionally, it provides money in that people will pay me to fix it. I think I probably end up using it about half the time, even on my main box. At work, I use it all the time as it's definitely a Microsoft shop.

Uh, what else? I'm really into music and I love everything from Jazz to Hip-Hop to Metal to Breaks to Classical and everything in-between. I collect headphones and build A/V ICs for friends. Right now, I'm listening to some Fats Domino through my AKG K7XX. Before that it was Biggie, and before that it was some Bach. Next up is a Nina Simone album called To Love Somebody.

Figured I'd try to participate more. Hope everyone has a great night!

Thanks so much for DC. I'm having a ball checking everything out.  :up:

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks so much for DC. I'm having a ball checking everything out.  :up:

Prepare to be overloaded  :huh: :-[ :P.  There's more mental talent here than in most university faculties  :-*.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome  :)

DC is indeed great and the recent numbers up near the logo are one important testament to that.