topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1019002 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I remember reading somewhere that, in "proper" writing, one should spell out numbers, up to a certain limit (four or five?) and then use numerals (e.g. 6 or 7 - is numeral even the correct term for those?)
Should be spelled up to a hundred, numeric OK after that.

That's an old school formal writing guideline (and one I like!).

See for example:
http://answers.yahoo...0060719082151AAkfEeo

Yep, me too  :Thmbsup:.  My early grounding in formal English was also reinforced by the military.  One does not always equal 1, but one (1) does  :P.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
-did you pick that marque, by inspiration from Steve McQueen?
One of my brothers drove Triumph Bonneville 650. My mother would close her eyes and start praying, every time she saw him take off.
Nope, can't blame it on Steve.  It was a swap out deal with a coworker when he wanted four (4) wheels - Lover's Lane is awkward on a bike  :-* :P.

Luckily ( :-\?), my mother never new anything about it ... at least, not 'til my impromptu parking session.

Andem

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello everyone! I just joined the forum and wanted to quickly add on to this thread.

I'm Christopher, a young(ish) software developer in my professional life and in my free time I run a couple of web sites largely coded from the ground up (one dedicated to freeware and cool shareware stuff).

I look forward to joining in some of the discussions here!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to the site Andem.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to DonationCoder, Andem.  Care to share your website links?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome Andem! Since I've yet to be completely sold on content management systems, I'd be very interested in hearing more about your experiences and thoughts about coding sites up from scratch.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We are in dream world.
[Link removed]

that gave me a laugh (SEO link)
Tom

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tell me all about YOU!
« Reply #782 on: December 07, 2012, 08:07 PM »
I'm curious where my fellow Doconians reside, what you do for a living, what you do for fun, are you married, got pets? etc etc...

Most of you know I am a strange person who comes from 'Sunny ol' Blighty', obsessed with Tattoo's, has a dog, Engaged to be married, spend a lot of time on Imgur (I love it!) and I do odd jobs for money!

So...what about YOU?!

---

[edit/merged]
Forgot about this post!

My question still stands though, as some people may have changed!!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:15 PM by Stephen66515 »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My early grounding in formal English was also reinforced by the military.  One does not always equal 1, but one (1) does.

That just terrifies me.  :o

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My early grounding in formal English was also reinforced by the military.  One does not always equal 1, but one (1) does.

That just terrifies me.  :o

Why?  Sometimes one is used in a nominative sense, e.g., "One does what one must," where the numeric meaning does not apply.  Adding the parenthetical value makes clear what the usage should be, or, at least, what usage was intended.

raybee

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm 83 and still kickin'.....I have a website on Tripod, all about hotrods, and cars.
I live in Reseda, California, have a house that's paid for, am on social security, single and intend to stay that way,
and am gay.  That should cover the introduction.  Oh yes, am an athiest, too, so I guess you'd say that I'm
a real liberal, because I don't need to hate anybody for their religion, politics (except for the stupid greedy ones)
or for what they have or don't have.  If you're a jerk, you'll expose yourself quickly enough, so hello to all and
happy holidays.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm 83 and still kickin'.....I have a website on Tripod, all about hotrods, and cars.
I live in Reseda, California, have a house that's paid for, am on social security, single and intend to stay that way,
and am gay.  That should cover the introduction.  Oh yes, am an athiest, too, so I guess you'd say that I'm
a real liberal, because I don't need to hate anybody for their religion, politics (except for the stupid greedy ones)
or for what they have or don't have.  If you're a jerk, you'll expose yourself quickly enough, so hello to all and
happy holidays.

Hi there..I think you take the title for the oldest guy here lol  :D - Nice to see such a great range of people here at DoCo!

Happy Holidays to you too sir!

Could I ask...How did you find DonationCoder? (I always love to hear how new guys found us!  :Thmbsup:)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think you take the title for the oldest guy here lol  :D -
Guy? Gay? or both?  :huh:

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think you take the title for the oldest guy here lol  :D -
Guy? Gay? or both?  :huh:

Guy Phil...Guy.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Afterthought...I couldn't say if he is the oldest gay here...We may have a 85 Year Old lesbian lurking in our midst?  Who knows?!

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Baby boomer born near the ocean in Rhode Island, but living in the Arizona desert since 1975. Spent a few years serving on a US Navy submarine (WWII vintage) in the late '60s and early '70s before returning to college on the GI Bill to get a degree in Chemical Engineering.

Used to do some programming years ago for my own use (BASIC, FORTRAN, SAS, Pascal, Assembler), but didn't have the time to keep up with the rapid changes in the field.

Today I manage an R&D program for a fairly large energy company. Use a lot of standard software, test a lot of more specialized modeling and design software, but still like to download and play with a lot of other stuff.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

BigVent

• Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello everyone!  Skwire told me about this great community & forums so I've decided to join & hopefully contribute. 

I'm an IT Consultant that primarily focuses on networks, programming, security, *insert IT need(s) here*.  Lately I've setup a few outdoor WiFi networks around various (boat / lodge) marinas & lakes. (few "free" & mostly "pay-as-you-go" WiFi networks)

Very nice to meet you all!
~BigVent

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Skwire told me about this great community

FWIW, BigVent and I are friends in real life.  *gasp*  I know.   :P   We live about an hour from each other.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome BigVent :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to the site BigVent! Any friend of skwire's is a friend of ours!  :up:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome and well met! I'm in much the same line of business as you are - as are some of the other members here at Donation Coder. Nice to meet you! :)

BigVent

• Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you all for the warm welcome!
~BigVent

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome aboard BigVent, glad that skwire enticed you to join us.

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
I only looked at this thread for the first time last week and have been wondering ever since whether to post, after all who would want to know about me? Who would I want to know about me?
After much deliberation and having some time to spare I decided to contribute some brief details about myself taken from my autobiography which was published posthumously at the end of last year by Andrex.

Pilgrim: A Brief Hystery.

When I was born I was very young, everything that has happened since has been a consequence of that and the fact that I never quite got over it.

It was realised within moments of my birth that I was 'different'.
The minute my mother set eyes on me she cried out "Good God" and I immediately replied "Yes Mother"?

I was considered to be a bouncing baby, when my father took me out he attached springs to my feet and walked alongside me repeatedly patting me on the head.

My education was fairly short but varied.
I went to a number of schools the last of which I believe was considered to be very good.
It was 'approved', although I never found out for what or by whom.

From quite an early age I was well known for taking things apart, although to begin with that was mainly due to my failure to put them back together again.
In later years I became known for repairing things that were supposed to be 'irreparable'.

My working life started with me working on vehicles of various types as a mechanic, when I later decided I wanted to travel I realised that the best way of doing it was to get someone else to pay so I became a professional driver.
I quite enjoyed my travels abroad, the only thing was that everywhere was full of foreigners who didn't speak English.
Europe, America.

I have come to a number of conclusions over the years:
1) One thing that is absolutely essential in life is a sense of humour.
    I've been meaning to get one for a long time.
2) Sanity is not a requirement.

I actually passed away quite some time ago.
I'm only walking around to save funeral expenses.

Pilgrim. (DCeased)  :rip:
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Pre-deceased but with a sense of humor?

Awesome! That makes you fully qualified to do what I do for a living. We're all quite dead and/or mad here. But we still find it in our hearts to laugh about it. ;D

You should read Rafael Sabatini's classic story Scaramouche. The opening lines were written for you:

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world was insane. And that was his only inheritance.

Nice to meet ya! :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:12 PM by 40hz »