Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 21, 2014, 02:13:44 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 346225 times)
barney
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #775 on: August 01, 2012, 12:40:07 PM »

I remember reading somewhere that, in "proper" writing, one should spell out numbers, up to a certain limit (four or five?) and then use numerals (e.g. 6 or 7 - is numeral even the correct term for those?)
Should be spelled up to a hundred, numeric OK after that.

That's an old school formal writing guideline (and one I like!).

See for example:
http://answers.yahoo.com/...qid=20060719082151AAkfEeo

Yep, me too  Thmbsup.  My early grounding in formal English was also reinforced by the military.  One does not always equal 1, but one (1) does  tongue.

Make a good day ... barn
barney
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #776 on: August 01, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »

-did you pick that marque, by inspiration from Steve McQueen?
One of my brothers drove Triumph Bonneville 650. My mother would close her eyes and start praying, every time she saw him take off.
Nope, can't blame it on Steve.  It was a swap out deal with a coworker when he wanted four (4) wheels - Lover's Lane is awkward on a bike  Kiss tongue.

Luckily ( undecided?), my mother never new anything about it ... at least, not 'til my impromptu parking session.

Make a good day ... barn
Andem
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #777 on: September 24, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »

Hello everyone! I just joined the forum and wanted to quickly add on to this thread.

I'm Christopher, a young(ish) software developer in my professional life and in my free time I run a couple of web sites largely coded from the ground up (one dedicated to freeware and cool shareware stuff).

I look forward to joining in some of the discussions here!
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #778 on: September 24, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »

Welcome to the site Andem.
skwire
Global Moderator

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #779 on: September 24, 2012, 09:11:57 AM »

Welcome to DonationCoder, Andem.  Care to share your website links?

40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #780 on: September 24, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »

Welcome Andem! Since I've yet to be completely sold on content management systems, I'd be very interested in hearing more about your experiences and thoughts about coding sites up from scratch.

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #781 on: October 08, 2012, 07:53:17 AM »

We are in dream world.
[Link removed]

that gave me a laugh (SEO link)

Tom
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #782 on: December 07, 2012, 08:07:18 PM »

I'm curious where my fellow Doconians reside, what you do for a living, what you do for fun, are you married, got pets? etc etc...

Most of you know I am a strange person who comes from 'Sunny ol' Blighty', obsessed with Tattoo's, has a dog, Engaged to be married, spend a lot of time on Imgur (I love it!) and I do odd jobs for money!

So...what about YOU?!

---

[edit/merged]
Forgot about this post!

My question still stands though, as some people may have changed!!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:15:49 PM by Stephen66515 » Logged

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss

TaoPhoenix
Supporting Member

0 - 60 ... then back to 0 again!

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #783 on: December 08, 2012, 01:32:18 AM »

My early grounding in formal English was also reinforced by the military.  One does not always equal 1, but one (1) does.

That just terrifies me.  ohmy
barney
Charter Member

« Reply #784 on: December 08, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »

My early grounding in formal English was also reinforced by the military.  One does not always equal 1, but one (1) does.

That just terrifies me.  ohmy

Why?  Sometimes one is used in a nominative sense, e.g., "One does what one must," where the numeric meaning does not apply.  Adding the parenthetical value makes clear what the usage should be, or, at least, what usage was intended.

Make a good day ... barn
raybee
Participant

« Reply #785 on: December 23, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »

I'm 83 and still kickin'.....I have a website on Tripod, all about hotrods, and cars.
I live in Reseda, California, have a house that's paid for, am on social security, single and intend to stay that way,
and am gay.  That should cover the introduction.  Oh yes, am an athiest, too, so I guess you'd say that I'm
a real liberal, because I don't need to hate anybody for their religion, politics (except for the stupid greedy ones)
or for what they have or don't have.  If you're a jerk, you'll expose yourself quickly enough, so hello to all and
happy holidays.
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #786 on: December 23, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »

I'm 83 and still kickin'.....I have a website on Tripod, all about hotrods, and cars.
I live in Reseda, California, have a house that's paid for, am on social security, single and intend to stay that way,
and am gay.  That should cover the introduction.  Oh yes, am an athiest, too, so I guess you'd say that I'm
a real liberal, because I don't need to hate anybody for their religion, politics (except for the stupid greedy ones)
or for what they have or don't have.  If you're a jerk, you'll expose yourself quickly enough, so hello to all and
happy holidays.

Hi there..I think you take the title for the oldest guy here lol  cheesy - Nice to see such a great range of people here at DoCo!

Happy Holidays to you too sir!

Could I ask...How did you find DonationCoder? (I always love to hear how new guys found us!  Thmbsup)

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss

PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #787 on: December 23, 2012, 07:52:23 PM »

I think you take the title for the oldest guy here lol  cheesy -
Guy? Gay? or both?  huh
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #788 on: December 23, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »

I think you take the title for the oldest guy here lol  cheesy -
Guy? Gay? or both?  huh

Guy Phil...Guy.

Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

« Reply #789 on: December 23, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »

Afterthought...I couldn't say if he is the oldest gay here...We may have a 85 Year Old lesbian lurking in our midst?  Who knows?!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GETHJ-vQGwI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GETHJ-vQGwI</a>

dspelley
Charter Member

But it's a dry heat.

« Reply #790 on: March 23, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »

Baby boomer born near the ocean in Rhode Island, but living in the Arizona desert since 1975. Spent a few years serving on a US Navy submarine (WWII vintage) in the late '60s and early '70s before returning to college on the GI Bill to get a degree in Chemical Engineering.

Used to do some programming years ago for my own use (BASIC, FORTRAN, SAS, Pascal, Assembler), but didn't have the time to keep up with the rapid changes in the field.

Today I manage an R&D program for a fairly large energy company. Use a lot of standard software, test a lot of more specialized modeling and design software, but still like to download and play with a lot of other stuff.

We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)
BigVent

« Reply #791 on: April 10, 2013, 01:01:31 PM »

Hello everyone!  Skwire told me about this great community & forums so I've decided to join & hopefully contribute. 

I'm an IT Consultant that primarily focuses on networks, programming, security, *insert IT need(s) here*.  Lately I've setup a few outdoor WiFi networks around various (boat / lodge) marinas & lakes. (few "free" & mostly "pay-as-you-go" WiFi networks)

Very nice to meet you all!

~BigVent
skwire
Global Moderator

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

« Reply #792 on: April 10, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »

Skwire told me about this great community

FWIW, BigVent and I are friends in real life.  *gasp*  I know.   tongue   We live about an hour from each other.

rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #793 on: April 10, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »

Welcome BigVent smiley
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #794 on: April 10, 2013, 01:23:41 PM »

Welcome to the site BigVent! Any friend of skwire's is a friend of ours!  thumbs up
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #795 on: April 10, 2013, 02:02:48 PM »

Welcome and well met! I'm in much the same line of business as you are - as are some of the other members here at Donation Coder. Nice to meet you! smiley

BigVent

« Reply #796 on: April 10, 2013, 02:14:16 PM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

~BigVent
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #797 on: April 10, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »

Welcome aboard BigVent, glad that skwire enticed you to join us.

Chris
pilgrim
Supporting Member

Cogito ergo ?

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #798 on: April 12, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »

I only looked at this thread for the first time last week and have been wondering ever since whether to post, after all who would want to know about me? Who would I want to know about me?
After much deliberation and having some time to spare I decided to contribute some brief details about myself taken from my autobiography which was published posthumously at the end of last year by Andrex.

Pilgrim: A Brief Hystery.

When I was born I was very young, everything that has happened since has been a consequence of that and the fact that I never quite got over it.

It was realised within moments of my birth that I was 'different'.
The minute my mother set eyes on me she cried out "Good God" and I immediately replied "Yes Mother"?

I was considered to be a bouncing baby, when my father took me out he attached springs to my feet and walked alongside me repeatedly patting me on the head.

My education was fairly short but varied.
I went to a number of schools the last of which I believe was considered to be very good.
It was 'approved', although I never found out for what or by whom.

From quite an early age I was well known for taking things apart, although to begin with that was mainly due to my failure to put them back together again.
In later years I became known for repairing things that were supposed to be 'irreparable'.

My working life started with me working on vehicles of various types as a mechanic, when I later decided I wanted to travel I realised that the best way of doing it was to get someone else to pay so I became a professional driver.
I quite enjoyed my travels abroad, the only thing was that everywhere was full of foreigners who didn't speak English.
Europe, America.

I have come to a number of conclusions over the years:
1) One thing that is absolutely essential in life is a sense of humour.
    I've been meaning to get one for a long time.
2) Sanity is not a requirement.

I actually passed away quite some time ago.
I'm only walking around to save funeral expenses.

Pilgrim. (DCeased)  rip

I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #799 on: April 12, 2013, 11:49:02 AM »

Pre-deceased but with a sense of humor?

Awesome! That makes you fully qualified to do what I do for a living. We're all quite dead and/or mad here. But we still find it in our hearts to laugh about it. Grin

You should read Rafael Sabatini's classic story Scaramouche. The opening lines were written for you:

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world was insane. And that was his only inheritance.

Nice to meet ya! smiley
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:12:02 PM by 40hz » Logged

Pages: Prev 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.052s | Server load: 0.07 ]