topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1018979 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@olla86 - Welcome, welcome, welcome. I spent some of the most enjoyable years of my life in Boston. If you're smart (I wasn't) you'll stay there! :)

kingsmob77

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • You can't see any Zaphod Beeblebrox here...
    • View Profile
    • PunkRockKarl is Dead
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi!

I'm Kingsmob a.k.a PunkRockKarl, a 36 year-old aging punk rocker.  I'm originally from New York City but for reason beyond my control, now live in Houston, Texas. I've been a long time fan of DC and have recently ponied up and donated.

I have two kids, an 8 year-old daughter and 4 year-old son.  They and my wife are the coolest people I know.

I'm a Applications Analyst by trade, currently designing in-house apps for my employer dealing with HR functions, employee tracking and materials management for a project spanning four continents, over 35,00 employees and a whole lot of equipment. This keeps me pretty busy but it's  lot of fun.

I like tweaking, customizing and seeing just how much I can alter computers.  Sometimes I break 'em sometimes I come up with pretty neat stuff.  I dabble in programming and would like to sharpen that skill set but there never seems to be time...and I'm not really that bright.  :D  I'm a little more adept at web development as I worked as a web developer in the past.  I guess I am a general geek as I love computers, Science Fiction and video games...Wow, it's a wonder I got married at all.  I also have a pretty extensive knowledge of music and am something of a music snob.

Anyway, that's all I can think of.  I'm glad to be a member of the DC community.

Cheers,
Kingsmob77
If it is useless and poorly coded, it is probably one of mine.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
kingsmob77 and @olla86:

Hope to see more of you around DC. You've stumbled upon an incredible place - make the most of it  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi!

I'm Kingsmob a.k.a PunkRockKarl, a 36 year-old aging punk rocker.
haha - a punkrocker and a geek - I love it :)
welcome to the site Kingsmob, I was already listening to a bit of music on your webpage -
you could always add a few recommendations to this thread:
Recommend some music videos to me!
Tom

miva2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
just registered and i kind of like this place
got here by that pop-up message saying i need to register for a free key
nice system lol.
i'm just an 18yo guy who is obsessed with games and hopes to become a game programmer as soon as possible :P
I'm currently studying Digital Arts and Entertainment in Belgium :)

yoroshiku onegaishimasu~

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
welcome to the site yoroshiku and everyone else i missed saying hello to  :Thmbsup:

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome, miva2. Are you (ethnic) Japanese by any chance? (For those wondering, "yoroshiku onegaishimasu" is a Japanese greeting.)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome miva2 :)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello...

welcomecat5py.gif

Garboni

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

I'm Gilbert. I'm a young man, originally from the Northern region of the United States, now living in the South.

I do not consider myself an expert on computers. But I have some knowledge. Recently, I have been using the computer a good amount of the time for making videos and films.

I hope you are having a good day.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Garboni - WELCOME! You'll fit right in here as many of us are fall into the same category. What makes this site so wonderful is that there are a lot of bona fide computer experts here who are VERY patient and VERY helpful.

miva2 - welcome to DC as well and good luck with your studies  :)

Stay, read, post and enjoy DC  :Thmbsup:

EDIT: struck through extraneous word...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:48 AM by Darwin »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome Gilbert  :)

Garboni

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you both for the warm welcomes.

kakarukeys

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Save time play more
    • View Profile
    • Time-saving Guides, Windows and Office Tips to increase your productivity
    • Donate to Member
Say hello
« Reply #563 on: December 07, 2009, 04:11 AM »
I just want to say hello, I'm a new guy here.
life is short, play hard

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Say hello
« Reply #564 on: December 07, 2009, 04:14 AM »
Welcome to the site kakarukeys -- nice to meet you.
Maybe you'd like to tell us a little about yourself?

ps. I'm going to merge this with the thread for people introducing themselves.

kakarukeys

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Save time play more
    • View Profile
    • Time-saving Guides, Windows and Office Tips to increase your productivity
    • Donate to Member
 :) ops...

I was an R&D engineer, now learning Python programming language, hoping to develop software related to the field machine learning. My first project is to find a way to reduce repetitive typing. HDD, CPU double size and speed every year. It's curious why we are still using the same keyboard and mouse from '90s.

Found some nice abbreviation expander and autocompletion programs on this site. But they either have stopped development, or turned into bloatwares.
life is short, play hard

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcom, Timoth  :Thmbsup:

slowmaker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Reinventing the wheel can be fun!
    • View Profile
    • rambling-nerd
    • Donate to Member
Hello, everyone. I like what I've seen of this community so far, so I'll have a go at this self-introduction thing:

I'm from (and still in) the Southeastern U.S. I've been a peach picker, a radio dispatcher, a roofer, a library assistant, a low-tech demolition crewman (think hammer+crowbar+sweat), a math tutor, an HVAC installer, an industrial electronics troubleshooter, an assembly-line worker, a programmer for a small RFID shop, a retail worker, a computer repairman and a television repair shop driver (not necessarily in that order). I'm 40 years old and I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up, but it's been an interesting ride so far.

I'm a husband and father too, but I'm not planning on giving those jobs up  :).

I like projects, both low and high tech, but I tend to do a lot more reading than doing. If a position at Mythical Dream Jobs, Inc opened up for reading back issues of Popular Mechanics and writing programs on alternate days, I'd probably be willing to commit some fairly heinous acts to get that job, up to and including animal sacrifice.

WinXP Home SP3 - PSPad 4.5.4

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Welcome to the site slowmaker and others i missed above :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm 40 years old and I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up, but it's been an interesting ride so far.

Well said, slowmaker  ;D Sounds like you and I have a lot in common. Welcome to DC! It is a special place and I hope that you will enjoy your time here.

FCM

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello all -

I hail from Florida, married to a R.N. nearing our 20th anniversary in July.  I work in environmental and in the green industries for a local county-level gubment.  I'm also in my junior year of college...ugh...should have done this earlier, but decided with no ties, to take the opportunity to travel for some life experience and gain also practical expertise within a company that had short-term jobs in interesting locales.  No regrets, but now I'm paying for it.   ;D

The site is a bit overwhelming, but from the posts I've been able to read, I had the feeling of a great bunch of folks that have some great sound advice to help me.  Although I've been using the computer and business apps since the mid 80s, I feel more of a noob most times with efficiency than the "expert" I should be, but am a quick understudy :)
I'll add too, that I still enjoy gaming when I have the time, which has me thinking of searching for an answer here to a question I have.

Lastly, I'd like to thank you for the site and look forward to my time here.  Thanks again.

Apathetic_Coding

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Apathy Softworks
    • Donate to Member
Hello all!

My name is John-Paul, a 27 year old from Memphis TN, and I am a beginner programmer with about one year experience. I started out writing scripts in AHK & AutoIt and while I still stay active in the two languages, I am also learning C and C# .net. I don't have any formal training as of yet but as soon as I am finished planning out my wedding and finally taking the plunge, I plan on going back to school for software development.

I have been a musician for about 14 years and a recording engineer for around 6. I know quite a bit about DAWs and digital/analog sound so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

My website, http://sites.google.com/site/apathysoftworks/ is the home for my current freeware and projects.

That's about it. I look forward to becoming a part of the community!

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Your going to love it here!

welcomecat5py.gif

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile