ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?

<< < (51/187) > >>

Rambo54:
Hello all,

i´m one of the newbies, that come here to pray to the Gods of this domain -
Mouser, Mouser, Mouuuuuuuser :-)
Ok, but for a short bio:
Born in 1963, first contact with Computers was with a Commodore VC20,
then began a constant upgrading in Hardware...

I´m working for a large Car-Equipment deliverer in Stuttgart, Germany.
There i am the vizemaster of the Galvanoplating-Shop.
We do surface coating of steel parts with other metals, like zinc, copper and more.

And last but not least:
I am the other half of the well known "JoTo-Team" :-))
(Ok, this one was for insiders, but hey)

For more information, suggestions, prayers or else -> Mail at once! :-))

Live long and prosper

Ralf

mouser:
welcome to the site Ralf, glad to have you here.  :Thmbsup:
And thanks for clearing up one of the mysterious of life -> yes, smurfs to go to war sometimes.  gargamel is lucky he never ran into that one!

Mandork:
first contact with Computers was with a Commodore VC20
--- End quote ---

Somewhere in my parents' house, I'm sure, the old VC20 still survives, along with the tape deck.  I never was much of a programmer, though--I made it as far as the multi-colored bouncing balls before I discovered boys. 

I don't think I ever posted anything in this thread, but most of the relevant bits are in my profile.  I don't know anything about programming, really, but I like to mess around with various little programs.  I'm always searching for something that will make me actually get my research done. 

My research is on prehistoric art of Mediterranean Spain (Murcia), and it's going really slowly because my Spanish isn't very good and it takes me forever to read stuff.  I am starting to worry that I will never finish.  Especially not if I keep messing around here...

The photo is a quick 'n' dirty enhancement of one of the sites I am studying.

mwang:
Hi,

My name is Ming-Li Wang and I'm new here. I came across the site while struggling to set up Vista 64 on my system a few weeks ago. I scoured the web for solutions, tips and tools--anything that might help me solve the various weird problems I encountered. Though I ended up giving up Vista 64 for now, I learned a lot in the meantime, for which I'm very grateful.

There were many tech forums I ran into during the time, some of them many times. One such forum left such impression on me that I thought to myself: I should come back. So here I am.

It's hard to pinpoint what exactly got me hooked. The software discounts was enticing: I remember lamenting for the savings I could have had should I learned of the site earlier. With a little hesitation I soon made my donation before buying Directory Opus 9. The little hesitation was because I knew by doing so I was going farer away from switching to Linux. But I told myself it's a site worth supporting, even if I decided to go Linux the next day, which was next to impossible anyway.

The collective knowledge in display was impressive. This was by no means unique. I had seen plenty, on some of which I was once active. There was more warmth in this space, however, with a touch of home-like coziness that couldn't be ignored even though I was mostly dashing in and out in no time.

What really earned my heart, nevertheless, was the simple and practical idea as laid out on the About page, and the genuine sincerity felt in many of the posts here. Oh, and the post by Mouser on "How to punish DonationCoder if you are angry at being nagged to donate" made me empty my Paypal account with a smile.  :)

I'm not an avid coder, writing mostly scripts (VBA and Powerpro mostly) that fill small holes left by real software. (I'm from a social science background, though I started my college in Engineering and have used computers for 25 years.) Due to a very busy day job and other community obligations, I'm afraid I won't be able to contribute as much as I like, but I'll try my best.

One more thing: I'm from Taiwan. Am I the first? Ming-Li is my first name, or you may spell it Mingli. Some friends online just call me Ming, which is fine, as long as there's no confusion.

cheers,
Ming-Li

Darwin:
Welcome ralf, mandork and mi-ling. I'm sure I've greeted Mandork in another thread already, but thought I'd shout out a big hello here as well! As a fellow PhD sufferer student I can assure mandork that participation here will take time away from your PhD. However, I prefer to view this site and my participation here as therapeutic and BENEFICIAL rather than negative  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version