ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (74/106) > >>

SKesselman:
People who seem to think that by turning on my blinker I am telling them to "Speed up"

ARGH!!!!!!!!!    :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
-Josh (July 06, 2009, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oops, I forgot to mention to Josh - if anyone's trying to switch lanes, it's a violation to keep them from doing so.
At least in California.
-SKesselman (August 12, 2009, 11:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

SO many people do this that I believe it is actually unintentional with some folks. It's as if when some people realize that someone else is passing them, they think, "Oh, I must have slowed down too much... let me pick up the pace." It just happens with far too many people to be spiteful. Or maybe I am giving too much credit where it ain't due?

Jim-J-Mac (August 13, 2009, 12:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I only see this when I change lanes to get away from them. If they speed up while you're clearly trying to go in front of them, then they're not only rude, but they're creating a major safety hazard.

I seem to encounter this when most often when I'm trying to get out of an 'exit only' lane on the freeway.
After having been forced off my path a couple of times, I refuse to be bullied on the freeway. If there are too many cars behind the offending driver for me to wait & get in behind him/her, I'll signal, give them a few seconds, then slowly start to get over. They can move it or lose it. I know this is dangerous, but golly, go figure - they always manage to find it in their hearts to let me in.  ;)

I run as many errands as possible at night. It's just too frustrating here in the daytime; there's an idiot in every lane. It's virtually impossible to escape them. At least at night, you can go around them. The Silicon Valley has, without a doubt, the most unaware, rude, reckless and in general, unskilled drivers in the country. Period.

J-Mac:
People who seem to think that by turning on my blinker I am telling them to "Speed up"

ARGH!!!!!!!!!    :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
-Josh (July 06, 2009, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oops, I forgot to mention to Josh - if anyone's trying to switch lanes, it's a violation to keep them from doing so.
At least in California.
-SKesselman (August 12, 2009, 11:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

SO many people do this that I believe it is actually unintentional with some folks. It's as if when some people realize that someone else is passing them, they think, "Oh, I must have slowed down too much... let me pick up the pace." It just happens with far too many people to be spiteful. Or maybe I am giving too much credit where it ain't due?

Jim-J-Mac (August 13, 2009, 12:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I only see this when I change lanes to get away from them. If they speed up while you're clearly trying to go in front of them, then they're not only rude, but they're creating a major safety hazard.

I seem to encounter this when most often when I'm trying to get out of an 'exit only' lane on the freeway.
After having been forced off my path a couple of times, I refuse to be bullied on the freeway. If there are too many cars behind the offending driver for me to wait & get in behind him/her, I'll signal, give them a few seconds, then slowly start to get over. They can move it or lose it. I know this is dangerous, but golly, go figure - they always manage to find it in their hearts to let me in.  ;)

I run as many errands as possible at night. It's just too frustrating here in the daytime; there's an idiot in every lane. It's virtually impossible to escape them. At least at night, you can go around them. The Silicon Valley has, without a doubt, the most unaware, rude, reckless and in general, unskilled drivers in the country. Period.
-SKesselman (August 15, 2009, 08:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sarah, I think - well, I am almost certain - that I was a much more aggressive driver when I was younger. Now? Not so aggressive anymore. Lost my nerve? I don't think so. It is just that nowadays when I try to remember what I was in such a hurry about years ago, I realize that most of the time I wasn't really in a hurry at all. But when I was younger any other driver's inconsiderate or rude action toward me was taken as a challenge; a gauntlet thrown toward me, so to speak.

What an ass I was! I'm sure that I acted quite recklessly and just plain stupid, putting myself and others at risk by driving "competitively" for no other reason than pure pseudo-macho bulls***.

Hopefully we all get away from that kind of goofiness in time.  :)

Jim

J-Mac:
But not all of those kiddies have the patience to memorize ASCII or fire up charmap! 
-nosh (August 14, 2009, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

You are right; I forgot that an American keyboard is different from mine. On my Danish keyboard the "¨" is the last bütton before "Enter"!
-Curt (August 14, 2009, 12:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately I am guilty of the same. Unless I have the ASCII code for the character memorized it just gets the letter typed without anything added to modify it. Very much a PITA to type those characters regularly on a standard US keyboard.-J-Mac (August 14, 2009, 10:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

hey! I thought all dc members loved finding obscure little programmes to make this kind of thing easier!

I have to say I love having a german keyboard - I have three extra characters (üöä) on the right-hand side that I can combine with the Control key for shortcuts - especially handy for a left-handed-mouser-mouse-user (only one mouser around here I guess)
-tomos (August 15, 2009, 01:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

You know, I never even looked for such a utility - mainly because I rarely correspond with people who speak languages that use such characters. No excuse, I guess. It would be good to have such an app. I'll go check out the links I see posted now.   8)

Thanks!

Jim

tomos:
You know, I never even looked for such a utility - mainly because I rarely correspond with people who speak languages that use such characters. No excuse, I guess. It would be good to have such an app. I'll go check out the links I see posted now.   8)
-J-Mac (August 15, 2009, 11:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

hey, I was only kidding Jim :) mind you there is a FARR plugin (Character table - in FARR type cc) that gets you lots of exotic characters, but funny enough doesnt show any vowels with umlauts here (maybe cause I already have them on my keyboard)

Anyways we're going well off the annoyed topic here ;)

Edvard:
Operating Systems  >:(

The more I come to love and subsequently depend on Linux, the more warts I see.
Then again, I (ab)use Windows every day at work and it's got warts a-plenty.
I haven't had a chance to check out Mac OSX, but I do read the reviews and opinions when I have the time and apparently it's got warts too.
Shiny, plastic ones.

For all the smart guys cranking out the silicon oatmeal worldwide you'd think we'd have this one licked by now...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version