ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (69/106) > >>

J-Mac:
Oh, I have had a few cars in the past that drove at similar speeds while in the highest gear. Two in particular were early Volkswagons: one a 1963 from Germany, and the other, believe it or not, was much older!! Not sure how much older. The '63 had an engine held in place with only 4 bolts, and thick rubber washers were all that served as "motor mounts"! Neither had fuel gauges but the '63 had a reserve tank for when the engine started sputtering from lack of fuel. It was controlled by a valve handle under the front seat.

They could both get well over 40 km/hr but would have strained terribly at 40 in any lower gear. I would think that any seriously underpowered engine would do similarly. Again, I am not excusing overly cautious drivers. Just not ready to assume what type of transmission their cars must have.   :)

Jim

Curt:
I live in Denmark, so I really don't have anything to annoy me (unless I travel on the Internet... - as CleverCat said: >google for "FREE software" and get anything but free!<), but when I read Deozaan's post I nevertheless felt a need to respond:

Gay marriage: People like me who don't believe gay marriage should be legally allowed are often called homophobic, and hateful. I have my reasons for thinking this is a bad idea, but these sorts of topics are kind of off limits to the forum. I just want to say that I'm not homophobic or hateful toward homosexuals. I have friends who are gay, have met gay people in the workplace and school, and I enjoy their friendship.
-Deozaan (February 28, 2008, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

It really annoys me (though not "to no end") when a pleasant and joyous feeling like being gay is interpreted as, being a homosexual!

To explain a little better I have uploaded an innocent but yet NSFW image
(remember to also read the pic's integrated two texts):

gay rainbow stockingsclick thumbnail for large view, so you can read the two texts:
What annoys you to no end?

Some Americans may not get it, but I am gay because I am not not a gay.

---

What can annoy me "to no end" is when I see someone being bullied to do what is wrong,
- then "to no end" really means T R O U B L E S !

SKesselman:
It really annoys me (though not "to no end") when a pleasant and joyous feeling like being gay is interpreted as, being a homosexual!
-Curt (August 12, 2009, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately Curt, that is all 'gay' means, anymore, in the US, at least in modern usage. There is no more, 'he was happy and gay today'!

J-Mac:
-Curt (August 12, 2009, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately Curt, that is all 'gay' means, anymore, in the US, at least in modern usage. There is no more, 'he was happy and gay today'!
-SKesselman (August 12, 2009, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

How true! There's an annoyance right there: Losing common words to specific appropriated meanings. I can understand people not preferring the word "homosexual" as it has picked up bad connotations to the point of being a slur in some cases. In that respect I can certainly understand the desire to avoid that word, and I guess that the only apparent solution is to appropriate another, less offensive sounding word to replace it with. However it then becomes just as uncomfortable for most folks to use such words in their original meaning and context. E.g., most people don't use the word "gay" anymore in any other sense than as it refers to sexual preference.

Unfortunately you will have a very difficult time finding high school students who will take the part of Maria in "West Side Story" if they have to sing "I'm So Pretty"! Actually I just discovered that the original words for the stage version, "I'm so pretty and witty and gay" were changed to "I'm so pretty and witty and bright" in the movie version, and most modern presentations of the musical play now use the "bright" version in an attempt to be "PC"... Yikes!

Jim

SKesselman:
Actually I just discovered that the original words for the stage version, "I'm so pretty and witty and gay" were changed to "I'm so pretty and witty and bright" in the movie version, and most modern presentations of the musical play now use the "bright" version in an attempt to be "PC"... Yikes!
-J-Mac (August 12, 2009, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice. Who's next, Shakespeare?
Tiptoeing around a word commonly used in the period of time a screenplay is depicting isn't PC.
The whole point of being 'PC' is to not offend the party being considered. Who on earth could that have possibly offended?
If they weren't gay, it's vain and cowardly move that compromises a significant contribution to the arts.
If they were, they're certainly the minority of their community.

Grrrr...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version