ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (37/106) > >>

SKesselman:
My GF has done that since she was a kid. Back then, it was traditional around where I live to yell Woo-Hoo!! when a fellow barn-mate won a ribbon at a horse show. That's how she got started. (And yes, I still cringe every time she does it.)

Question: Does it still count as annoying if she didn't start doing it as an adult? ;D
-40hz (June 05, 2009, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, it's probably not annoying if it rolls off her tongue, naturally.
For me, it's mostly the facial expression that makes me cringe.
She can probably say it without looking insane, and like her eyes are about to pop out of her head.

P.S. She has since informed me that if I promise to stop saying w00t! she'll stop saying Woo-Hoo!!! (unless of course she feels like saying Woo-Hoo!!! - in which case I'll just have to deal with it.)
-40hz (June 05, 2009, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, sounds fair to me :)

Josh:
Mandatory gratuity in ANY FORM. If you want me to come to your restaurant, do not charge me a fee that goes to the waiter/waitress. If I want to tip them, read "If they deserve it", they will get one from me. I should not have to tell the waiter/waitress/manager that I want the fee removed. Gratuity is just that, GRATUITY. It is not mandatory and I hate places which add this at certain given occasions.

I never did understand the idea anyway, paying someone to do their job they are being paid to do anyways. I do tip, but mandatory tips disgust me!

This is a poorly written post, I realize that, I just had to run inside and add it before I forgot. Now, back to cutting down the ugly trees in our back yard.

SKesselman:
I should not have to tell the waiter/waitress/manager that I want the fee removed.
-Josh (June 06, 2009, 02:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree with you, that mandatory tipping in intrusive and offensive. However, disputing this with a food server is usually ineffective. It's like complaining to a McDonald's employee that you don't like their corporate policies. Going to management to resolve your issues is usually your best bet.

For many food servers (especially the most skilled ones), mandatory tip policies are an embarrassment. Any waiter or waitress that takes any pride in their work understands what a gratuity is, and does not want it forced out of you. It takes from you the pleasure of showing your appreciation by leaving a tip, and it takes from them any idea of how satisfied you were with the service they've given you.

Along with the initial embarrassment of receiving a mandatory tip, complaints made to the server, especially if made in the presence of your guests, only add insult to injury.

Additionally, for food servers, timing is everything. Servers have a plan, a rhythm, which allows them to gracefully juggle many different tasks at once. This is their skill. Imagine if you couldn't serve the hungry, impatient customers that were staring you down, because you were dealing with a complaint you weren't even in the position to address. In my experience, this event usually has the same effect on most servers: one pissed off customer (oh, sinking stomach) and 5 minutes being held up unexpectedly keeps them off kilter all night.

I never did understand the idea anyway, paying someone to do their job they are being paid to do anyways...
-Josh (June 06, 2009, 02:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I and many other servers have wished that we could make the same money from our employers, and that tipping be done away with, altogether. But, that's the food service industry, at least in the US.
Food servers are getting paid to do their job, yes. Minimum wage. No pity: customers know this, and contribute to a service person's income tenfold, to make up for the wages their employers pay them.  They appreciate good service and (regulars) understand that they themselves contribute to that service by contributing to their servers' livelyhood. That said, anyone who objects to this practice should never leave tips. Waiting tables in general is decent, respectable hard work for good money, & you'll often find a great deal of pride in the the hearts of the best waiters and waitress that exist. But most servers, skilled or not, have their pride and would sooner miss a meal than accept a tip left in disdain, and no one customer who chooses not to tip is going to bring any great harm to anyone. BTW, let's not forget the others who are making minimum wage + tips: The people that shine our shoes on demand, deliver our pizzas, clean our homes, detail our cars, cut our hair, give us manicures & pedicures, walk our dogs, etc., etc.
Do you have the same belief for these people, or is it just food servers?

As a side note, it's an honor for me to have been able to serve others, and as long as my customers were OK with tipping, I was, too, most of the time. The few times that I've felt like a beggar (thanks, Mom!) have only pushed me to refine my skills, so I could give even better service, and therefore feel completely worth their gratuity.  :D

Josh:
SKesselman

I fully understand that most food servers are not paid a decent wage. That is a problem which all food servers should address. It is the same a teacher or law enforcement officer or paramedic. All do a job which is worth far more than they are paid. The three latter I mentioned deserve 3 fold their current pay (Most police officers anyways, the ones who care about their job). Please understand that I do not totally object to the idea of tipping, but when it is used to make a food service employees wage livable, I do disagree with that. It should not be the customers responsibility to ensure that someone who visits me four times during a meal gets paid decently. Tipping should be in addition to not required for someone to live comfortably. I understand the difficulty that comes with the job. My brother was a waiter for about a year and explained to me the eccentricities that were involved. It is there that I feel the employee should request more. If more of these employees asked for more, they would surely not have to rely on tips to "Make ends meet".

My belief is for tipping in general. Tipping should not be an excuse for an employer to pay their employees poorly. Do you know how many times I have tipped my car detailer (Fort Meade Auto Spa) for doing a great job? Yes, the service cost me 100 dollars, but I gladly pay them a bit more for a job well done.

Innuendo:
What annoys me is subscription-ware. Programs that can only be registered in time-measured ways like anti-virus software. Other types of programs use the payment model, but AV is the most prevalent.

I absolutely hate to see the days of my subscription tick down till there's nothing left. And if I go out of town on vacation for a week? OMG! That's 7-9 days down the drain where I didn't get to reap the benefits of said program and it feels like money wasted.

This annoyance is why I registered Newsbin Pro rather than Newsleecher. It's also why I made sure I registered AnyDVD before they raised the prices and went to a more subscription-oriented pricing scheme. You can still get a lifetime update scheme from Slysoft, but oh man, you pay royally through the nose now for the privilege.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version