ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (33/106) > >>

Darwin:
OK - totally, TOTALLY, agree with this:

Telephone based services where, upon connection, an automated system collects ALL details -- account #s, name, address, phone etc. -- and then connects you (after a  little phone-pad fandango) to a human who proceeds to ask you for account #s, name, address, phone etc.
-cranioscopical (June 02, 2009, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

and this:

Don't know how I forgot about this:    Facebook!   :o

I signed up on Facebook last year when a small number of DC members thought it would be a good idea to join and create our own software group. But no one ever actually went any further with, AFAICT.
-J-Mac (June 02, 2009, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hear, hear (or is it "here, here". Crap. Trying to figure that out bugs me as well. And don't even get me started on my shoes - only had 'em three weeks and the heels are worn right through...).

Grorgy:
Even worse than being asked again all the questions you've just answered by typing them in on a phone (old klutz fingers here hates using phones for that) is getting a recorded message saying they are not there anyway!

CodeTRUCKER:
As a professional businessman, I would have to say regulations that make no sense and only burden us with unnecessary forms and filing dates.

Specifically, as a Trucker, it would have to be the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration and their inane lack of understanding concerning HOS (Hours of Service) they foist on us.  >:(

Since most of you do not know what I am talking about, the HOS state that a driver in the USA may...

* A: Not drive after being ON DUTY for more than 70 hours in 8 days.
* B: Not drive after commencing being ON DUTY 14 hours prior.
* C: Not drive after DRIVING more than 11 hours.
* D: Can drive if he/she has had 10 consecutive hours OFF DUTY or in the SLEEPER BERTH as long as he/she does not violate A, B or C above.I actually do not mind the last bullet.  After 11 hours behind the wheel dodging speed bumps, er, cars I am ready to shut down. :)

The thing the HOS does not take into account is...
* #1. A driver has been held up at a shipper/receiver for 13 hours, but the driver was able to get a good 8 hours(or more) sleep while waiting.  Legally, this driver can only drive 1 hour due to the 14-Hour Rule ("B" above) even though he/she is physically and mentally adequate to drive a whole 8-11 hours.
* #2. Conversely, a driver who has been kept awake all night due to excessive noise at the shipper/receiver is perfectly legal to drive according to  "D" above, even though the driver is neither physically nor mentally prepared due to sleep deprivation.  Also, since this driver "has hours," it is very common for companies/dispatchers to pressure the driver to drive anyway.  After the first time this happened to me, I refused.  Losing my job was a whole lot better than losing my life and/or taking another's.
Sound confusing and nonsensical?  Well, welcome to the life of a Professional Truck Driver. ;)

cranioscopical:
Even worse than being asked again all the questions you've just answered by typing them in on a phone (old klutz fingers here hates using phones for that) is getting a recorded message saying they are not there anyway!-Grorgy (June 02, 2009, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

You get a message? Lucky devil!

I get 25 minutes of the worst canned 'music' known to man, periodically interrupted by a recorded voice telling me that my call is really important to them, the proof of which comes with the dial tone that follows.  Go to step A.

the heels are worn right through-Darwin
--- End quote ---
Leaving you with but a sole source of support?

Darwin:
-cranioscopical (June 02, 2009, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Leaving you with but a sole source of support?
[/quote]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version