ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (29/106) > >>

fenixproductions:
2Josh
I agree with you but there is one more annoying thing: crippled search with no links to posts with desired phrase. Instead of that, you receive list with URLs either to the beginning or to the end of monstrous thread. They give you some highlight, obviously, but I just f*ng hate to browse 20-pagers to discover that looked word was mentioned once with different context.

mwb1100:
Here are a couple common forum behaviors that drive me nuts:

1. most forum software searches completely and silently ignore search terms that are 3 characters or less. Quite often this means I can't search for what I need (there are a lot of terms that are 3 characters, but are not necessarily 'cut words' like "the" or "are").  But for chrissake, tell me if you're ignoring something in my search terms - especially if it's the only thing in the search!

2. support forums that don't let you search unless you've registered.  If I'm evaluating a product or just want to see if there's a solution to a particular problem, I don't want to have to jump through the hoops of registering for a forum I'll probably never want to make a post in.

J-Mac:
Software programs that unexpectedly open your browser and take you to a web page that you had no real need nor desire to visit.

And similarly, programs with their Help pages online that don't say that they are online. You are working offline - trying to get something done without getting hopelessly distracted so you are purposely not opening your web browser, and you click on Help on the program's menu bar, then Help Contents. And it opens your default browser (or worse, your non-default browser!) and takes you to their online help. There are times I would rather eschew Help altogether.

Let us not omit the programs that insist on opening your browser after you uninstall them to ask you why you would ever want to uninstall their amazing and wonderful program.

And a special salute to software developers who do not offer any Help file at all but instead have a PDF user manual hidden away somewhere on their web site. The manual is very complete and comprehensive - 340 pages long - but doesn't have any bookmarks, and has a Table of Contents that is not "clickable", meaning there are no working links in the manual. Manuals put together so carefully and thoughtfully usually have another great feature: The first 15 or 30 pages are "pre-numbered"; they are numbered with lower case Roman numerals: i, ii, iii, iv, etc. This serves to make any reference in the manual to page numbers completely bogus, since all PDF readers/viewers automatically number the page thumbnails starting on the first page or cover without any correlation to the author's fanciful pre-numbering scheme.

There are many more, but I grow weary....  :-[

Jim

f0dder:
1. most forum software searches completely and silently ignore search terms that are 3 characters or less. Quite often this means I can't search for what I need (there are a lot of terms that are 3 characters, but are not necessarily 'cut words' like "the" or "are").  But for chrissake, tell me if you're ignoring something in my search terms - especially if it's the only thing in the search!

2. support forums that don't let you search unless you've registered.  If I'm evaluating a product or just want to see if there's a solution to a particular problem, I don't want to have to jump through the hoops of registering for a forum I'll probably never want to make a post in.
-mwb1100 (May 30, 2009, 12:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Amen!

#1 is something that doco is guilty of too - it's annoyed me a few times here and there.

#2 is really annoying. I've signed up for enough sites already >_<

Josh:
Drive thru's which block you in so you can't get out when you find out "Our ice cream machine isn't working". ARGH!!!!!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version