topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What annoys you to no end?  (Read 345053 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What annoys you to no end?
« on: February 20, 2008, 07:11 PM »
I just had this idea for this thread so let's see where it goes. Basically, just post what annoys you more than anything in the world.

For me, since I was just organizing my movie collection, and I realized how annoying DVD cases and media cases in general have become when you purchase them from a retail outlet of any kind. You have to go through 4 different protection mechanisms before you can access the dvd itself. You first have to peel off the plastic wrap. Then you have to peel off the sticker(s) on the outside of the case. This can be on up to 3 edges of the case. Then you have to go through the latches which are designed to make it harder to steal a disc from the case (the companies claim they are to prevent the case from being opened by kids, although my kid figured it out in 20 seconds. THEN, you can finally enjoy your movie. This is a travesty and one which has annoyed me greatly for years now.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What annoys you to no end?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:04 PM »
The expression "for free" when used instead of "free."

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:21 PM »
coffee brewers-

that shut off in 2 hours
and yes I know it's best within the first 15 min.
but I can't drink a whole pot in 15 min.

the ones that keep the coffee too hot or too cold
adjustable temp settings that don't work

so far -kitchen aid- has worked best
but the pause and serve screwed up-ha
I took the pause and serve off.
So I pause it if I need to by turning it off, then turning it back on.
I need my coffee asap sometimes.....

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:53 PM »
Cabling. Power cords, eithernet cords, monitor cords, TV cables, phone lines, USB cords...anything cord-based that can be tripped over, made into a knot, cut (or otherwise destroyed), or just get in the way. That "world without wires" has yet to come.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:41 PM »
"There is five posts in this thread."

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Learn how to count! It's, "There ARE five posts in this thread."

Now, someone follow up and make it six! :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 09:45 PM »
This kind of thing are making me six.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 11:33 PM »
My ISP! SuddenLink... no, it should be SuddenSLOWink Most of the time, I don't get cable internet speed, but I get a speed similar to my old dial up connection
[Insert really cool signature here]

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 01:03 AM »
Clutter & a lack of organization - on and off the PC.

The "on PC" stuff has mostly been taken care of but there are some cupboards/shelves that really need to be taken care of and I've been in some serious denial and have chosen to look the other way for well... years! I know I'd be better off if I just put my mind to it one weekend and got it sorted out but that hasn't happened yet.  :(

Also, I've got into this horrible habit of holding onto my old PC hardware, just can't digest the fact that I'll be getting like .05% of the value back if I sell it and don't have a completely functional PC that I can donate.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 04:15 AM »
LINKSYS!!!

I've already bought 3 of their routers, and all of them gave me problems!
The less expensive one (40€), i had to return it because my laptop would get "weak" signal when it was 2 feet away from the router.
The intermidiate one (100€), can't keep configured for more than one week, which means i have to reset it and reconfigure it every week.
The more expensive one (140€), which was supposed to be a perfect router, really is very good, gets me great speed WHEN it works, because a few times a day, it starts going nuts and gives me internet on and off (one minute i have wireless, the next there's no wireless, then there's wireless for one minute again, etc etc).Oh, and the best part is that there's a 6 page forum thread about this on the linksys forum without ANY response from linksys.

Unfortunatelly, i'm the one who'd stupid, after the previous experience, i should never have bought that last router. :(

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 04:16 AM »
People who start getting onto the tube, bus, train, whatever public transportation BEFORE I or anyone else can get off it! What's so difficult to understand? You let us get out, and THEN you can get in. It's a very easy concept. Container is full, to add something to the container, something must necessarily be removed first. :wallbash:

I usually just elbow my way through the morons

Oh, and thread can be closed now, there is nothing more annoying than what I just described ;)

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 04:41 AM »
People who willingly and knowingly break rules and then excuse themselfes saying "but so-and-so is doing it also!". They ought to obey or change the rules, not break them!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 05:06 AM »
People who start getting onto the tube, bus, train, whatever public transportation BEFORE I or anyone else can get off it! What's so difficult to understand? You let us get out, and THEN you can get in. It's a very easy concept. Container is full, to add something to the container, something must necessarily be removed first. :wallbash:

AMEN!

Solids are NOT compressible!

Those people shouldn't have children...

And it's one of the reasons that I really enjoy driving to work now. I really don't need to as it's cheap and easy to use public transportation in Seoul, but geez... You NAILED that one!
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 05:58 AM »
Telephones...and almost everything about them.

Especially getting up to answer it and finding out that some automated system called me and put me on hold and they want me to wait till a human is available to find out what they want.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 07:50 AM »
The anti-theft precautions in children's toys piss me off like nothing else.  I buy my son something small -- a little 4 dollar toy -- and I'm doomed to spend five to ten minutes trying to untangle and remove all the wires holding the thing in place.  Or, worse yet, the toys that have *screws* anchoring them into the package, in addition to the wires.  Or my favorite -- screws, wire's AND plastic casing that requires a sharp knife to penetrate. Of course, in the car, my son wants it open . . . but, of course, you need a damned toolbox just to get the toy out.

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 07:58 AM »
The anti-theft precautions in children's toys piss me off like nothing else.  I buy my son something small -- a little 4 dollar toy -- and I'm doomed to spend five to ten minutes trying to untangle and remove all the wires holding the thing in place.  Or, worse yet, the toys that have *screws* anchoring them into the package, in addition to the wires.  Or my favorite -- screws, wire's AND plastic casing that requires a sharp knife to penetrate. Of course, in the car, my son wants it open . . . but, of course, you need a damned toolbox just to get the toy out.

Totally agree - but it isn't just children's toys; it's just about anything these days. The level of ingenuity  required to open some packaging makes me wonder whether manufacturers are in league with the goverment to design devious 'in-the-home' intelligence testing - we are then all secretly rated on how long it takes us to open the refill for the air freshener!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 08:11 AM »
+1 (or should that be -1  >:() on the toy packaging in particular and product packaging in general  :down:

The impact on the environment of all this must be profound and it seems to me that it is completely unnecessary and almost universally unwanted!

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 08:24 AM »
And I can assure you the product manufacturers aren't the ones eating the costs involved in this asinine packaging.  I'd be curious (or perhaps loathe...) to see, statistically, how much an individual pays in their life time for all this.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 09:32 AM »
People, copy protection, DRM.
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 10:24 AM »
I can't say DRM because it has never caused me any headaches.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 12:33 PM »
I'm annoyed by
  • People who seem unaware of those around them. The subway example is a good one; also people who block the aisle in the supermarket, and "left lane dicks" on the highway.
  • People who don't seem to make any effort toward the use of proper spelling (pluralization!), punctuation, even sentence and paragraph structure. We all make mistakes occasionally, but I frequently see long "streams of consciousness" with no capitalization, and self-invented punctuation in a single long paragraph. This is actually a special case of my first point, I guess, in that they save themselves the trouble by placing responsibility for deciphering on the poor readers.
  • People in political/philosophical/economic discussions that argue passionately on a topic and hold tightly to their view, but really have no understanding of it. I acknowledge that there exist legitimate arguments for many positions other than my own. But echoing back talking points from MSM really does nothing to enlighten anyone. If you want to debate something, understand the whys and wherefores first.

Boy, I'm really becoming a curmudgeon.

(sheepishly edited to fix a punctuation error  :-[)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:52 PM by CWuestefeld »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 12:47 PM »
im bugged by peeps who wast my bandwidth with unecessary punctuationmarks an whitespace  :P

Cpilot

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Bite Notes
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 12:54 PM »
Anyone who says, "this is the way it's always been done".

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 01:16 PM »
People who seem unaware of those around them. The subway example is a good one; also people who block the aisle in the supermarket, and "left lane dicks" on the highway.
Oh, and add the people (often couples) blocking the escalators. "I know the stairs move, but I'd like to walk too. It's possible, you see. Well, it would be possible if you two weren't blocking the escalator! You stand on ONE side of the escalator. The other side is for walking." Again: Pretty easy concept.

Not as annoying as the tube-people, though :-\

So in short, I guess people annoy me quite a bit :-[

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 01:39 PM »
I've got this circular problem sometimes

Annoyed.jpg
Tom

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 06:22 PM »
you might be sorry you got me started...

rudeness, and/or a total lack of consideration of others

people who insist on carrying on very loud <i>speaker phone</i> conversations in public places...

people who can't match the posted speed limit, until you get to a passing zone...

posters who drag a thread off topic (and those who go with them, and with them, and with them...)

flamewars, and/or name calling in a forum (what are you, 5?)

reality TV (seems like this has to be an oxymoron...)

and and and and...

Target (who is turning into his father, apparently...)

EDIT: the fact that I couldn't bite my lip and not post my list of pet hates...

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 06:32 PM by Target »