topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What annoys you to no end?  (Read 345112 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What annoys you to no end?
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2008, 10:46 AM »
Slow people, and jackasses who walk through stores talking to themselves on phones. I start cursing, hoping we'll both be offended. Or how about the guy who talks on the phone in the public restroom?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2008, 02:54 PM »
Slow people, and jackasses who walk through stores talking to themselves on phones. I start cursing, hoping we'll both be offended. Or how about the guy who talks on the phone in the public restroom?

Or coworkers who come into the restroom and start asking you questions while you are in a stall?   >:( >:(

Jim

a_lunatic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Fulltime Single Dad
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Program that manages to remove a heap of startup items once installed & doesn't work at all & takes like half an hour to fix.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2008, 07:53 PM »
a_lunatic,

Sounds a lot like PC Mag's Startup Cop 3!

Jim

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2008, 09:37 PM »
This really annoys me. Its people who force themselves into your lane by riding up as far as they can in the ending lane. You know, the lane that had a sign 2 miles ago stating that it was ending in 2 miles. These people choose to push as far as they can past the end of the lane only to cut in front of everyone else. You mainly see this when there is a lot of traffic and people just have to get that extra 10 seconds saved by not merging where they should have.

#@$(*&#(%*&@#(*%&@#%(*&@#(%*&@#%(*&@#%(*!!!!!

Hehehe! NEVER come to Asia... Just trust me on this! (It's not just cars...) ;)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Dell[a]

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2008, 06:10 PM »
I agree with all of the rants about drivers. I am on the road a lot due to my work, and I can tell you so many horror stories.... those of which probably could have been preventable if people were patient and obeyed traffic laws.

Other things that annoy me is when someone puts an empty container back into the fridge. Or when my pager/cell phone goes off at a time when it is really most inappropriate.  :mad:
and who is it that  takes a shower and puts  the wet towel on the bed???? Grrrrrrrrrr

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2008, 08:02 PM »
and who is it that takes a shower and puts the wet towel on the bed???? Grrrrrrrrrr

Ha ha! I'm guessing it's either you or Gothi[c]. It's funny because my wife did the same thing until I suggested that it isn't really a good idea. Maybe it's a European thing?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2008, 08:14 PM »
Okay I've got one. It's not the most annoying thing in the world to me. In fact, I have no idea why this annoys me so much.

Someone living in my apartment complex owns a Dodge Dakota. That's not what annoys me. What annoys me is that he has some text on his front windshield, at the top that says "MY Dakota" in big bold letters across nearly the entire width of the windshield.

Anytime I see that it just starts a chain of thoughts much like: "Well DUH! Of course it's your Dakota! Why on earth do you feel the need to point out to everyone that this Dakota belongs to you? You could at least write your name on it so people know who YOU are. I mean, if I stole it and was driving it around, everyone would think it was MY Dakota and not yours! What kind of idiot puts 'MY Dakota' on their windshield?" And the thoughts continue with many more negative assumptions about the intelligence and inferiority of the owner.

What's really sad, though, is that I don't even know the owner. He could be the greatest person on the planet, but that stupid text on his truck leads me to think all sorts of bad things about him.

Dell[a]

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2008, 08:39 PM »
or when the cat pukes on your important papers :sick:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2008, 09:24 PM »
or when the cat pukes on your important papers :sick:

Or when the dog pukes. On/in your shoes. While you're wearing them. In the car. On the way to go hiking in the mountains. A good hour away from any place or any thing to clean them up with.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2008, 09:27 PM »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2008, 10:50 AM »
OK - here's another (Deozaan's post reminded me of it): big trucks with confederate flags plastered all over them. Actually, scratch that - the confederate flag being displayed at all... Why? Well, for a start, there's what it stands for (or perhaps that should read what it's come to stand for) and then there's the fact that I live in a small town in Canada. CANADA. I wonder how many people in Georgia drive around with the Red Ensign displayed on their car or truck or have it hanging in their bedroom window? Actually, in four trips to Georgia (Atlanta and Savannah) I don't remember every seeing a Canadan flag, Red Ensign or a confederate flag. Yet there are a lot of confederate flags here...

DISCLAIMER: I'm not picking on Georgia. I have family there. Blame the Dukes of Hazzard and the General Lee. Actually, that's probably why people here display the Confederate flag - they have no idea of what it stands for...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2008, 12:17 PM »
Forums whose search has the default operator OR instead of AND and that always get me 1million results and the result i'm looking for ISN'T one of those!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2008, 12:55 PM »
Okay something that really annoys me that may get me in trouble because it involves some controversial topics.

When I disagree with what may be widely accepted as fact and instead of people trying logic and reason to convert me over, they just revert to name calling and totally shut me out or try to defame me simply because I have a different opinion. They make no attempt to hear my side.

I have to admit it hasn't happened to me personally, but it happens all the time to people who share my beliefs on topics such as:

Global Warming: I don't believe man has caused it and I don't believe it's really such a catastrophe that everyone is worried about. Yet people who share these beliefs are often ridiculed as hating the planet, being wasteful, harming the environment, and some Kennedy dude recently even said to someone with these beliefs that they should be tried for treason.

Gay marriage: People like me who don't believe gay marriage should be legally allowed are often called homophobic, and hateful. I have my reasons for thinking this is a bad idea, but these sorts of topics are kind of off limits to the forum. I just want to say that I'm not homophobic or hateful toward homosexuals. I have friends who are gay, have met gay people in the workplace and school, and I enjoy their friendship.

Illegal Immigration: People like me who want to stop (or at least minimize) illegal immigration are often called racist and hateful. I don't hate immigrants. I welcome them to come through the proper methods and channels. But I've had a Mexican room mate who was here illegally, who had about 5 fake ideas showing him at the ages of 19-30 years old. He was getting assistance to pay for school and living, and everything was taken care of for him. Meanwhile I married a Romanian who came to this country legally as a student and has struggled just to survive because she couldn't work except for a few hours a week for the school, which certainly wouldn't pay tuition and rent. She was fortunate enough to have a sponsor family here in the US who paid for her first year of school and then she established a 4.0 GPA and got scholarships to pay for the rest of her schooling. But anyway, my point is that it's terribly wrong to penalize the people who come here legally while completely ignoring and even helping the people who don't have respect for the laws.

So to summarize: I'm really annoyed when people can't seem to argue their point and instead just aim to discredit or defame those with opposing beliefs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:09 PM by Deozaan »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Forums whose search has the default operator OR instead of AND and that always get me 1million results and the result i'm looking for ISN'T one of those!

+1 for that!

I can't imagine who thought OR would be a good idea...

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2008, 06:39 PM »
Deozaan: I'm not going to claim I know a truckload about global warming, but fact is that it's happening and very noticable - the winters in Denmark are very different now than 5 years ago. School vacations have been moved because of climate changes. Ice is melting at greenland, and at a faster/accelerating rate that's pretty unnerving. Whether you believe it's caused by man or not (I personally believe we've at least influenced the trend negatively), we definitely should try to do something about it, because things aren't going to be nice when the water levels rise and the deserts spread.

Gay marriage is probably not something that should be discussed here at DC :) - I can't see a problem with gay people getting most of the civil rights as "normal" people, but since the religious nutjobs don't tend to approve, gay marriages could be moved to the city hall...

Illegal immigration is a problem, but I wonder what would happen to the US economy if all the slave underpaid workers were thrown out of the country; face it, how many jobs are filled that no sane person would take? Construction business, repetitive packing jobs, dish cleaning, ...

- carpe noctem

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Deozaan: I'm not going to claim I know a truckload about global warming, but fact is that it's happening and very noticable - the winters in Denmark are very different now than 5 years ago. School vacations have been moved because of climate changes. Ice is melting at greenland, and at a faster/accelerating rate that's pretty unnerving. Whether you believe it's caused by man or not (I personally believe we've at least influenced the trend negatively), we definitely should try to do something about it, because things aren't going to be nice when the water levels rise and the deserts spread.

Sure, the temperature may have risen on average over the last however many years, but I'm under the impression that that's just natural, periodic heating and cooling of the earth. Just 30 years ago scientists were saying that the earth was entering another ice age, and panicking about how to heat the earth up. Some groups even suggested dumping something like ash or sulfur on the ice caps to get them to melt. The idea of doing that now, with Global Warming on the brain, seems so ludicrous. Yet science and celebrities were so sure that the world was freezing. Personally I think scientists and people are overreacting in the same way, but focusing on the opposite extreme of temperature. I'd like people to just take a step back, relax, and really research and study and find out if it's really happening.

The document everybody refers to as proof of global warming happening was not a consensus among all the scientists who contributed to the document. Each scientist contributed a little part that may or may not have been meant to support the idea of Global Warming. Those who asked to have their names removed from the document when they found out what the agenda was for it have since been defamed. And anybody in a prominent position who disagrees about the validity of Global Warming is ostracized, criticized, and defamed.

Personally, I have questions, and they're not being answered because everyone is too busy telling me that to question is scientific heresy and I ought to be strangled for even doubting. It's so strange to me because the people who tell me that religion was invented to control people and looks down upon those who ask questions and don't blindly believe are the same people who tell me I should blindly believe in global warming and that asking questions about it's truth is wrong. And they also try to control me by telling me stay away from airplanes, automobiles, and technology in general and go green, all the while riding private jets across the world to preach global warming, owning 3 mansions, several SUVs and recreational vehicles, etc. In my opinion, the hypocrisy isn't helping their credibility. If they really believed what they were spouting off, they would be living differently.

I liked it better when science was a search for truth. Not when it was a method of twisting facts to "prove" our own opinions.

Gay marriage is probably not something that should be discussed here at DC :)

Exactly. That's why I didn't go into any reasons.

Illegal immigration is a problem, but I wonder what would happen to the US economy if all the slave underpaid workers were thrown out of the country; face it, how many jobs are filled that no sane person would take?

That's one of the reasons I'm all for cracking down on illegal immigration. The only reason a "sane" person would not take these jobs is because they really are modern day slavery/sweatshops right here in the USA. The people who employ illegal immigrants in these situations are also breaking the law by not paying minimum wage, having unsafe work conditions, and depriving illegal immigrants of other benefits that all people are entitled to according to US law. The problem is that they can't complain about it to the government because their employers threaten to fire them or get them deported. If we take away the incentive to hire what is essentially slave labor by severely penalizing companies that knowingly employ illegal immigrants, those jobs which people argue are "undesirable" will become desirable because they will be meeting governmental regulations when it comes to pay and work conditions. Not only that, since no one would want to hire illegal immigrants for fear of the penalties closing them down, the illegal immigrants will have very little incentive to come here illegally because they would not be able to find work.

Personally I think the economy might stutter a little in the transition period, but it would quickly boom back and perhaps be better than ever.

But, see, the point of this thread was to talk about what annoyed me, which was people who immediately call me names or defame me instead of speaking logically and civilly like you and I have here. It wasn't my intent to explain my position. My intent was just to say that it really annoys me that I'm labeled as a hate-monger because I have questions about the validity of the concept of man-caused global warming and how bad it really is; I have problems with illegal immigration; and I have other opinions on other controversial subjects that people won't take the time to hear the reasons behind my opinions.

People usually hear that I don't like illegal immigration and they call me racist against latinos. People hear that I doubt that global warming is a big catastrophe or that it's even man made and people call me stupid, wasteful, that I don't care about the environment, etc. People hear that I'm against gay marriage and start telling me I'm homophobic. Instead of listening to my reasons, they just defame me.

I also have to admit that I don't know every bit of detail on every topic, but an important difference between me and the people I'm complaining about is that I'm willing to change my mind if enough logical information is presented to me where I can say "Oh yeah, that makes sense. Okay I support that." I don't mind that other people disagree with me. That's just a fact of life. But the people I'm complaining about are the ones who immediately, upon hearing your differing opinion, will seek only to discredit you and your opinion instead of encouraging communication so the issue can be discussed and a resolution made, even if that resolution is just to agree to disagree.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 07:55 PM by Deozaan »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2008, 08:01 PM »
Gay marriage is probably not something that should be discussed here at DC :)

Exactly. That's why I didn't go into any reasons.

As long as everyone agrees that what other people do is none of their business it seems like an ok topic. ;)

Another thing that ticks me off --- policital correctness and ers that can't keep their personal opinions out of other people's business.

I was chatting with a few people down at the British Embassy pub here, and mother-of-god... The insane laws that are being passed in North America and the UK are just off-the-hook crazy infringements on personal liberties! Makes me sick.

Dell[a]

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2008, 09:25 PM »
yeah deozan, Gothic went through the lengthy and expensive procedures to get his permanent residence card....   did I mention expensive???? It took us about 2 years just to get enough money to file all that paperwork. It was nuts.

Anyways, I don't agree with the "illegal" immigrants, but I do think that immigration should be a little less expensive. I mean, give people a chance right? Do all the paperwork, back ground checks whatever, but why does it have to cost this outrageous price to do it?

Ok, I will shut up now...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2008, 12:42 AM »
yeah deozan, Gothic went through the lengthy and expensive procedures to get his permanent residence card....   did I mention expensive???? It took us about 2 years just to get enough money to file all that paperwork. It was nuts.

Anyways, I don't agree with the "illegal" immigrants, but I do think that immigration should be a little less expensive. I mean, give people a chance right? Do all the paperwork, back ground checks whatever, but why does it have to cost this outrageous price to do it?

Ok, I will shut up now...

Yeah and they increased the fees last July! I think part of the solution for illegal immigration, besides what I already said, would be to make it easier to immigrate legally. If you're from a country where your wage is $100 a month, and half of that is taken up by rent, it will be really hard to save up for those fees.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2008, 09:51 PM »
5. people who treat ADHD as an excuse for their/someones behavior, and state they/someone has the condition based on their ill-educated perspective.

Please tell me you are not one of those people who thinks this is not a real disorder?
OH NO!
Quite the contrary!

I've been properly diagnosed! After seeing 3 Psychologists, they finally got it right! I am currently on 60mg daily Straterra and a high regime of note taking, Zen-like GTD and following my ADD Coach/Wife.

I mean I don't like hearing people just throw the word around, like it's just easier to say OH I HAVE ADHD -or- <THIS PERSON> MUST BE ADHD, just because the person is forgetful, or inattentive, or lazy, etc.
It's a word that nowadays gets thrown around alot, very easily so too!
Just like OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), which a close friend of mine has. She is taking her meds, and copes with her 'disorder' with the help of her spouse.

Society has become quick to slap a label on something or someone. It sucks.

5. people who treat ADHD as an excuse for their/someones behavior, and state they/someone has the condition based on their ill-educated perspective.

Please tell me you are not one of those people who thinks this is not a real disorder?
There's a difference between suffering from a disorder, and hiding behind a disorder and excusing everything and yourself because of it.. and behaving like a total jerk. Using an illness/disorder as a bad excuse for being ill-mannered is pretty unfair to the people that really suffer and try to cope with it.
In all fairness, some of us don't suffer! We cope with it just as you or anyone else copes with a bad hair day (lame example perhaps!).
Of course I speak for myself and a few others whom I know with ADHD, and anyone who KNOWS someone with a severe disorder knows how terrible it can makes ones life.
I try my best to not let this ruin my life or make things difficult for me. I takes notes when asking directions, I write things on the back of my hand, I carry a pocket notebook and pen, I leave myself voice notes, I have daily SMS reminders to take my meds, take our the trash wash the dishes. I even have a daily SMS reminder to change the babys diaper.
I cope as best I can.
So when someone takes light of this disorder, it really bothers me.
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2008, 03:53 AM »
People who abuse the authority and power given to them.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2008, 04:25 AM »
I know this off-topic but I couldnt stop myself (yes, I'm procrastinating )

Sure, the temperature may have risen on average over the last however many years, but I'm under the impression that that's just natural, periodic heating and cooling of the earth.

@Deozaan,
the problem is: if it continues & we continue contributing to it (which is obviously the case), well, put it this way, if you live near the sea you could be losing your house pretty soon and that might even be the least of your worries.
It could be natural, but we'll still be screwed :)

I've always being pretty sparing (following my parents example I guess) but I got a bit of a shock lately when I got an offer: - if I pay my electricity for the year in one go (an estimated amount which they kept pretty low) I get it at a reduced price per KW
The fact it's estimated & a low estimate at that, has me afraid that I'll get a huge bill at the end of the year for the balance & has made me much more conscious of how wasteful I can be.

What with the cost of these things moneywise & the possible cost of these things environmentwise I think it simply makes sense not to be wasteful or overly extravagant

Also, it's very easy to say they do that why shouldnt I (drive a car that guzzles gas, whatever) - ???? imagine if everyone went for the lowest common demoninater with beliefs & or actions - that would be, eh, interesting!! (I'm not saying you are in general -but- "telling me stay away from airplanes, automobiles, and technology in general and go green, all the while riding private jets across the world to preach global warming" smacks a bit of it)
Tom

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2008, 04:36 AM »
I have to say either way the things that reduce these green house gases seem to be all good things anyway, reduce pollution, be more sustainable, and if there is no global warming we've just left a better cleaner more pleasant environment for the next generations, if it is real then we may have saved the planet, personally I have trouble seeing a downside.  (I'm procrastinating too  ;) )

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2008, 08:32 AM »
Crumb! There is an excellent YouTube video series on this by a science teacher in the states... just can't remember his name or any of the links  :o Anyway, his bottom line on global warming is in line with what Grorgy says above.

Grorgy and Tom - couldn't have said it better myself  :Thmbsup: