topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What annoys you to no end?  (Read 345031 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What annoys you to no end?
« Reply #300 on: June 27, 2009, 03:19 AM »
Being an American speaker of English (an oxymoron if there ever was one BTW)

I sometimes see German translations of novels that say:
'Aus dem Amerikanischen von Tom Jones' (continuing a theme)
which is
[Translated] from 'American' by Tom Jones
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #301 on: June 27, 2009, 07:40 AM »
Oh - of course if the song belonged to his family it then would be the Joneses' song.   ;)

*sigh*
it's hard to keep up with them  :p

;D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #302 on: June 27, 2009, 11:27 AM »
hat's exactly what it is ... business.  They have to get enough funding to keep it going to air the sci-fi stuff that we do like.  ECW brings in a lot of money.  Would you rather they took the high road, then went out of business, and we have no outlet for that stuff?
-wraith808

While I might agree with you if SciFi Channel were its own free-standing entity, but they are a wholly-owned subsidiary of NBC. For some reason I really don't think SciFi airing ECW is what is keeping them afloat.

But this is all a moot point anyway. Soon SciFi is going to be ScyFy (sic). Then we are going to see all the great science-fiction programming slowly erode away.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #303 on: June 27, 2009, 10:10 PM »
Just as a note for recent "grammar" talks:
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=Suxn3gbcF6A

If this link is not working, treat as another annoyance: "this video is not available in your country" messages ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #304 on: June 28, 2009, 07:44 AM »
Just as a note for recent "grammar" talks:
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=Suxn3gbcF6A

If this link is not working, treat as another annoyance: "this video is not available in your country" messages ;)
-fenixproductions (June 27, 2009, 10:10 PM)

You should be able to get around the country restriction. All you need to do is look at the YouTube URL in the address bar and replace the string: /watch?v= with this one: /v/

Example:

Original link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHbSMZKvqUk&feature=featured

Hacked link - http://www.youtube.com/v/WHbSMZKvqUk&feature=featured

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #305 on: June 28, 2009, 08:50 AM »
Stores which print off receipts that are the length of two 8.5x11 pieces of paper when all you purchased was a single item. The receipt I received from rite aide yesterday was that size and all I purchased was Visine eye drops. Half of that was asking me to complete a survey which is "random", yet every receipt I get from them has that survey on it, and the other half was a special explaining an upcoming promotion.

WHAT A WASTE OF PAPER!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #306 on: June 28, 2009, 01:44 PM »
Minor but at times extremely annoying:

Web forms that, after you have filled in all fields - some via a form-filling utility, like LastPass or RoboForm, but some that you must enter manually like your chosen username and password and other one-time entries - they return the form page as "invalid" because they don't like your email address or they want the 9 digit ZIP instead of 5 or vice versa, or the captcha was incorrect - and it wipes out ALL the custom fields, requiring you to enter the stuff all over again. Sometimes they do not specify clearly enough exactly what they didn't like and force you to refill the form several times before you finally realize what they want.

I rarely ever get to the end anymore, 'cause I usually just mutter a few choice unkind words as I close that tab after the second return!  Grrrrr....

Jim

BTW - I posted this because it just happened w/Share*It trying to purchase Archivarius. I was using the PayPal option - which though Share*It offers they do all they can to discourage you from using it - and I used the email address that is associated with my PayPal account. Share*It returns it as invalid saying I used a free email address and they don't accept them. First, it is NOT a free email address! Five year subscription cost me a couple of hundred bucks! Plus they want me to use my PayPal address and that is it. Share*It was already on my sh-tlist for other reasons, like how they screw people with undisclosed exchange rate fees and other added little annoyances. This one was the last straw though.

I won't be purchasing Archivarius.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:46 PM by J-Mac »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #307 on: June 29, 2009, 10:50 AM »
Web forms that, after you have filled in all fields - some via a form-filling utility, like LastPass or RoboForm, but some that you must enter manually like your chosen username and password and other one-time entries - they return the form page as "invalid" because they don't like your email address or they want the 9 digit ZIP instead of 5 or vice versa, or the captcha was incorrect - and it wipes out ALL the custom fields, requiring you to enter the stuff all over again. Sometimes they do not specify clearly enough exactly what they didn't like and force you to refill the form several times before you finally realize what they want.
-J-Mac

Solution to this annoying problem if you are a Firefox user:

http://lazarus.interclue.com/

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #308 on: June 29, 2009, 12:09 PM »
-J-Mac

Solution to this annoying problem if you are a Firefox user:

http://lazarus.interclue.com/

Looks good - I'm checking it out now.

Thanks!

Jim

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #309 on: June 29, 2009, 10:21 PM »
People who - after (or during!) eating - lick and suck their fingers (especially if it's noisy).
What do they think napkins were invented for, anyway??
And no, even if they suck the tips of their fingers from pinkie to thumb really, really fast, it makes it no more innocent or any less annoying.
It's even worse if they're cooking. People always seem to do this when they're cooking at home.
I just watched someone do this over the weekend...then she unconsciously(?) wiped her just-licked fingers on the sofa as she was talking!!!!
I'm not even concerned about germs much here, just, everything about it is annoying.

And people wonder why I can't deal with roommates...gross.
-Sarah

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #310 on: June 29, 2009, 11:40 PM »
she unconsciously(?) wiped her just-licked fingers on the sofa as she was talking!!!!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #311 on: June 29, 2009, 11:41 PM »
See, it's attitudes like this that made me learn to eat with my toes!

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #312 on: June 30, 2009, 12:00 AM »
I see no connection.

Having roommates does not automatically mean having bad behaved ones. And even if, there is nothing wrong in telling what makes you annoyed. None of us are perfect, so it is normal to take critics.

I've used to live with other people for a long time. I have, sometimes, bad habit of not cleaning my dishes right away after use but I really appreciate that someone yells at me because of it. That helps me to get straight and leave bad behaviour behind. You can also teach someone few nice things.

That is how it goes with friends, partnership and many, many other things. You can get a rid off nasty things and / or learn to accept people the way they really are. IMHO it's just a part of being mature :p

P.S. On the other hand, after few years spent in dorm there are not so many things to be annoyed about ;)

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #313 on: July 06, 2009, 01:46 PM »
Another hotel with one of those signs in the bathroom saying, to paraphrase 'Please leave the towels you want us to launder in the bath, and we'll leave the rest, because we are lovely caring people and want to do all we can to reduce damage to the environment'.

Grrr  >:(

I'm not stupid you know  :mad:

At least have the honesty to say

It costs us a fortune to wash all your towels, you awful smelly people!

Do us a favour by keeping some of them clean. It'll add to our profits or cut our losses, and you never know, we may pass the saving on to you. Or maybe not.

Oh, and as an added bonus, it's good for the environment if we're not doing so much laundry, though we know that you know that we know that that wasn't really a consideration.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #314 on: July 06, 2009, 02:20 PM »
though we know that you know that we know that that wasn't really a consideration.

;D so true

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #315 on: July 06, 2009, 03:59 PM »
Another hotel with one of those signs in the bathroom saying, to paraphrase 'Please leave the towels you want us to launder in the bath, and we'll leave the rest, because we are lovely caring people and want to do all we can to reduce damage to the environment'.
It's just a load of old flannel!

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #316 on: July 06, 2009, 04:31 PM »
People who seem to think that by turning on my blinker I am telling them to "Speed up"

ARGH!!!!!!!!!    :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #317 on: July 06, 2009, 05:11 PM »
People who seem to think that by turning on my blinker I am telling them to "Speed up"

ARGH!!!!!!!!!    :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

If you're turning, just take your foot off the gas pedal, so you can make a nice, calm, perfect turn.
 ;D   ;D   ;D
If you're trying to get over to another lane, well, that's a tough one.
-Sarah
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:15 PM by SKesselman »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #318 on: July 06, 2009, 10:19 PM »

ARGH!!!!!!!!!    :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Ha!  Just move to NYC. Turn signals are apparently big-ticket options there, and most must not order them....

Jim

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #319 on: July 07, 2009, 11:06 AM »

There's a corrolary to this one (which hit me this morning on my way to work): 

When moving smoothly down the left hand lane, someone in the right hand lane will jump in front of you then proceed to slow down (invariably going slower than the vehicles in the right hand lane).

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #320 on: July 07, 2009, 12:40 PM »
Microsoft's "shell game" pricing for Windows and Office.

shell1.gif

It's always fun when Microsoft makes it a challenge to get the feature mix you need without springing for the "Ultimate" editions.

It would be bad enough if they merely added features to each 'higher' level. But no! Microsoft feels the need to arbitrarily remove one or two as well...

I don't know of anything so deliberately designed to confuse the buyer - with the possible exception of AT&T's all-in-one phone plans.

>:(

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 03:29 PM by 40hz »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2009, 04:19 PM »
Microsoft's "shell game" pricing for Windows and Office
Must be nuts!

Sundog29

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2009, 05:13 PM »
1. people who are intolerant of others
2. the Dutch

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #323 on: July 07, 2009, 05:39 PM »
Sundog: I believe the quote is "People who are intolerant of other people's cultures"

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #324 on: July 07, 2009, 07:28 PM »
Why the Dutch, Sundog? They are quite open minded. At least they are (mostly) contradicting with your first point of annoyance.