ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What annoys you to no end?

<< < (57/106) > >>

40hz:
take them to town square and have them flogged!
-f0dder (June 26, 2009, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Kinky! We sometimes do that to people. But we make it a point to not do it within our geographic borders since there's a prohibition in our Constitution against us doing things like that.

:(

wraith808:
Nothing wrong with a mini-flame. It's been much (way?) too quite around here (anyway?)(anyhow?) lately. :P
-40hz (June 26, 2009, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

That reminds me!  When people use quite instead of quiet and quiet instead of quite!  :P

cranioscopical:
When people use quite instead of quiet and quiet instead of quite!
-wraith808 (June 26, 2009, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oh quit that!

wraith808:
Awwww... but it's fun!

(Which reminds me... the overuse of ellipses - my own included!)

J-Mac:

My current pet word peeve: People who don't seem to understand that an apostrophe 's' indicates possession - not the plural. I can't tell you the number of times I've see somebody referring to many of something with an 's.

I find that error really (real?) annoying.

;D

-40hz (June 26, 2009, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well then you must really go crazy over possessives and plural form for words ending in "s".....  I had English teachers who could not get it right!  (Remember to consider that ending in "s" doesn't always mean it is a plural form!)

I will mention that certain uses of the apostrophe+s to indicate plural form seem to feel very comfortable, while writing it correctly feels awkward. Some even postulate that using 's with certain acronyms and abbreviations that would otherwise look confusing is indeed proper!

Some examples:

Plural of the letter x.  xs? Doesn't x's just feel better? Plus in most cases no one would think that it indicates the possessive case of the letter "x".

Another is, "I was using Morse code to send SOSs". Doesn't it feel better to write, "I was using Morse code to send SOS's".

I used to go out of my way to rewrite sentences when trying to make an awkward plural form less confusing. Just like I once went nuts attempting to ensure that I NEVER ended sentences with prepositions. However I finally gave up and I now write it in a way that "feels" right to me - even when I know it is not grammatically correct.

:)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version