topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What annoys you to no end?  (Read 345070 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What annoys you to no end?
« Reply #250 on: June 22, 2009, 02:59 PM »
J-Mac - I agree 100% and so does my Mum! It's not necessary...

Surely it depends on the context?

eg. The Exorcist - Yes, it was split pea soup but was an integral part of the movie.
     Team America: World Police - So over the top that no one could actually think it was gross, (although I'm not sure whether to class this film as an actual documentary or not ).

Of course it does - but I was referring specifically to TV shows. Regular, prime-time, standard broadcast network shows. You know, NCIS (which I love!), Criminal Minds, The Unit, etc., etc.  Not movies.

Of course we'll probably see this added to that confusing logo at the start of most shows, telling us the show has adult content, coarse language, mild violence (always wondered what the hell that was!), and so on...   :tellme:

Jim

Whereismyangel

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Imagic2015
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #251 on: June 23, 2009, 05:10 AM »
U.S. doctors!!!

...move to France !  ;)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2009, 06:51 AM »
Of course it does - but I was referring specifically to TV shows. Regular, prime-time, standard broadcast network shows. You know, NCIS (which I love!), Criminal Minds, The Unit, etc., etc.  Not movies.

Ah well, if it's not Dr Who, Torchwood or the WRC I don't watch TV since it's full of nothing else except police shows, cooking shows, talk-back TV (ie. Oprah and her ilk), canned sitcoms or sh!tty "reality" programs.

I guess I can put down TV in general as a major annoyance, especially since the TV programmers in this country are incapable of reading a clock to know when their freakin' programs should stop and start.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #253 on: June 23, 2009, 10:20 AM »
Maybe it's time to change doctors?

You know, I didn't even think of that!
Thanks! :Thmbsup:

Just in case- I wasn't trying to be snarky.  I just wouldn't take the stuff you said from any doctor.  I find your attitude is very important in maintaining your health, or recovering from illness.  My doctor doesn't need to treat me like I have an MD- that's why I go to him.  But I do expect him not to talk down to me, and not give me any BS answers.  And he does just that.  If he doesn't know, he tells me.  If he does, he tells me so that I can understand what he's saying.  So when I go to him, I get the feeling that we're working together to maintain my health.  And it seems to make a difference, at least from my perspective.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #254 on: June 24, 2009, 09:10 AM »
Speaking of TV, two issues:

1) If you are going to name your channel something descriptive of the type of programming you show then by George, stick to the description of your charter! Example number one, the American Movie Classics channel. What used to be a wonderful glimpse into the best of movie-making over the years has turned into a programming schedule that's at 50% crap. If I'm browsing your show line-up, AMC, and my on-screen programming guide is showing me that all of the evening's movies are rated at one (!!!) or two stars, you need to fire your programming director!

My second example is an easy pot shot....a channel specializing in science-fiction has no gosh-darned business airing programming consisting of reality shows and professional wrestling!

2) Annoyance number two is something that cropped up in the last 6-12 months. Apparently Sony made a deal to buy 'something' that gave them ownership of a lot of syndicated TV shows. Now every episode of every one of those shows has a trailing Sony logo at the very end of them implying a, "Hey! We made this!" even though the show quit production months/years/decades before Sony ever bought the intellectual property.

Sub-annoyance of the one above....sometimes you'll watch a syndicated show and you'll have up to 8 (!!!) of those little trailing logos after the show ends!

Oh, and while I'm here: Annoyance Bonus Round! Movies and TV shows sometimes have little clever things that are shown during or after the ending credits. Sometimes I just want to see who played what part. Good luck being able to enjoy any ending credits on TV anymore! The ending show is squished down to an out-of-proportion sliver of the screen while the next bit of programming is given the majority of the screen also out-of-proportion!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #255 on: June 24, 2009, 01:01 PM »
On the subject of TV:  all those little pop-up characters that appear on the bottom of the screen, hyping some upcoming show. I always 'love it' when I'm watching something - and a tiny (but very distracting!) character walks across the screen doing something. SciFi, Animal Planet, and some of the Discovery variants are the chief offenders when it comes to this.

(BTW: thank you SciFi Channel for coming up with the idea of superimposing a station logo on the lower-right corner of everything you broadcast! Guess you deserve the credit for starting that practice.)

Also when movie credits get scrunched onto half a screen so an advert can run on the other half - or - when credits get fast-rolled so quickly that they can't be read. I'm "one of those people" who happens to like reading the film credits.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #256 on: June 24, 2009, 01:23 PM »
My second example is an easy pot shot....a channel specializing in science-fiction has no gosh-darned business airing programming consisting of reality shows and professional wrestling!
Damn Straight! ...That ones been bugging the hell outa me since it started.

Another TV habit of late is the Channel logos overlaid on the screen during the show are not only getting bigger but are displaying advertising for all sorts of nonsense. It's bad enough that the 1hr time slot contains 20min of commercials...now they gota run the damn ads during the show too (good luck reading any captions, they're covered).

Cripes! ...We pay good money for entertainment ... not to be bombarded with advertising! <...or so I thought...)

lol ...Looks like 40Hz beat me to the punch!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:25 PM by Stoic Joker »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #257 on: June 24, 2009, 01:29 PM »

Another TV habit of late is the Channel logos overlaid on the screen during the show are not only getting bigger but are displaying advertising for all sorts of nonsense. It's bad enough that the 1hr time slot contains 20min of commercials...now they gota run the damn ads during the show too (good luck reading any captions, they're covered).

Cripes! ...We pay good money for entertainment ... not to be bombarded with advertising! <...or so I thought...)

lol ...Looks like 40Hz beat me to the punch!

You know why, don't you? Can't fast forward through the on-screen ads if you record the shows. The bastards!

Jim

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2009, 01:37 PM »

That's exactly what it is ... business.  They have to get enough funding to keep it going to air the sci-fi stuff that we do like.  ECW brings in a lot of money.  Would you rather they took the high road, then went out of business, and we have no outlet for that stuff?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #259 on: June 24, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Would you rather they took the high road, then went out of business, and we have no outlet for that stuff?

Maybe not. But I can't begin to tell you how much I'd like to say 'yes' to that question.  ;D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #260 on: June 24, 2009, 02:09 PM »

That's exactly what it is ... business.  They have to get enough funding to keep it going to air the sci-fi stuff that we do like.  ECW brings in a lot of money.  Would you rather they took the high road, then went out of business, and we have no outlet for that stuff?
*Shrug* …If it’s got to be…it’s got to be… So, yes I would. Either way I end up with a useless channel. Seriously, how many SciFi fans really watch that crap? Not me. I go look for other programming that doesn’t either suck or insult my intelligence (which is a bitch these days). Instead of wasting our collective time tossing tons of long ago dead programming in the hopes it will stick (people to their seats…which it never did, hence why it was originally canceled), they should turn lose of the kind of quality programming they (used to have) are holding in reserve for “next season” (what the hell ever that is these days.; what are they up to 7 seasons a year now?).

I haven’t watched SciFi in months … Si it’s already dead as far as I’m conscerned.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #261 on: June 24, 2009, 02:31 PM »
I haven’t watched SciFi in months … Si it’s already dead as far as I’m conscerned.

Pretty much. But I'll keep hoping they'll rerun Space: Above and Beyond anyway.

Looks like that's another show I'll need to get on DVD. (Not that I'd mind owning my own copy. :))
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:33 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #262 on: June 24, 2009, 02:58 PM »
Well, I know BSG just ended, but that was a bright spot.  And Doctor Who for a while- it has redeemable qualities.  I also loved the Dune series.  It might not be as much as I want, but I still like to have it.  But then again, maybe I'm just not rarefied in my tastes.  :P

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #263 on: June 25, 2009, 05:13 AM »
..... they should turn lose of the kind of quality programming they (used to have).....

Uh oh, you've just made mrainey's hit list by doing the opposite :P

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #264 on: June 25, 2009, 07:05 AM »
..... they should turn lose of the kind of quality programming they (used to have).....

I'm using the "the spell checker did it" defense

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #265 on: June 25, 2009, 09:04 AM »
Well, I know BSG just ended, but that was a bright spot.  And Doctor Who for a while- it has redeemable qualities.  I also loved the Dune series.  It might not be as much as I want, but I still like to have it.  But then again, maybe I'm just not rarefied in my tastes.  :P

Oh yeah... and Dresden Files.  That show wouldn't have gotten made on any other channel.  And I loved the little they had- just wish it hadn't been canceled. :(

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #266 on: June 25, 2009, 04:24 PM »

Uh-oh, closet Grammar Nazi confession time... :nono2:

These things make me facepalm repeatedly:

Lose vs. Loose
Should've (should have) vs. Should of
One and the same vs. One in the same
Case in point vs. Case and point
Tremolo vs. Vibrato (40Hz, please tell me you know what I'm talking about...)

The list goes on, I'll expand as I collect more...
:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #267 on: June 25, 2009, 07:42 PM »
Uh-oh, closet Grammar Nazi confession time... :nono2:

These things make me facepalm repeatedly:

Lose vs. Loose
Should've (should have) vs. Should of
One and the same vs. One in the same
Case in point vs. Case and point
Tremolo vs. Vibrato (40Hz, please tell me you know what I'm talking about...)

The list goes on, I'll expand as I collect more...
:wallbash

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop! Those are like finger-nails on a chalkboard to me...

How about adding:

"Couldn't care less" vs. of "Could care less"

Oddly, I can't think of any others, but there are more. Many more. No doubt I'll remember more as soon as this is posted (which always annoys the snot out of me as well).

EDIT: Corrected crappy editing. Doh! ANOTHER thing that annoys me no end...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:25 PM by Darwin »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #268 on: June 25, 2009, 09:32 PM »
All time annoyance: people not using BCC in their emails.

Last week I took a look into my emails database and realized that I have more than 500 addresses of people I will never know (i.e. friends of the clients)!

What is worse: about 50 of them came from general DC notifications :down:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #269 on: June 25, 2009, 10:47 PM »
Oddly, I can't think of any others, but there are more.
For free  >:(

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #270 on: June 25, 2009, 11:55 PM »
Oddly, I can't think of any others, but there are more.
-cranioscopical (June 25, 2009, 10:47 PM)

I pass this hand painted sign on my morning bike-ride and it never fails to make me laugh:

"Slow kids playing on road"

This one doesn't annoy me so much because it's very entertaining  ;D

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #271 on: June 26, 2009, 01:58 AM »
When people say "The proof is in the pudding"

It's not in the pudding! :mad:

"The proof of of the pudding is in the eating"  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #272 on: June 26, 2009, 08:01 AM »
-cranioscopical (June 25, 2009, 10:47 PM)

I say some of those things in spoken language (well, actually only 'should of' and 'for free')
I understand the objections to all of them except 'for free' - I have a sense something's 'wrong' there, but would have trouble defining exactly what. Guess it's a paradox or something? Is it even 'correct' to say: I got it for ten dollars (?)
Actually I think it should be accepted into the official language :P

goes well with  -
he got it for nothin' !! :)
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #273 on: June 26, 2009, 08:16 AM »
goes well with  -