topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What annoys you to no end?  (Read 345095 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What annoys you to no end?
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2009, 03:03 PM »
I was not offended by the clip, but I'm glad it was removed as it might be a catalyst for unwanted situations/conversations if one were to have that up on their screen and a small child wandered by and was wondering what the grown-up was reading.

Anyway, carry on...

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: June 20, 2009, 03:26 PM »
i just don't get an "LOL" feeling about watching a bird get dragged under water to die.
It's a matter of perspective. I felt sorry for that poor turtle, kidnapped by a bird and forced to act as its personal submarine. Time to call the ASPCT!   ;)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2009, 03:31 PM »
Now that mouser has successfully derailed and hijacked this thread....How about a new entry:

People who fail to merge when the come off an exit and wait until just before the exit lane forces them to merge. MERGE ALREADY!!!! I am not flashing my hi-beams at you to tell you to go slower!

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: June 20, 2009, 05:49 PM »
Aagghh!
I get so annoyed when:

People people get sloppy with mail subject lines, and type things in that don't reflect the actual conversation.
It's so nice to see the rare email conversation which is actually about the subject line.
When you look in your folders, everything's all neat and orderly.
That's how it was when I worked at IBM:
Subject: "Thinkpad S/N 12345ABCDE still in repair?" Now, that's an email that makes sense!

It makes it so hard to find anything!

And, I really don't care for having to depend on a global search to find something for me.
I know, I know...people rave about the ease and speed of global searches, but I want to be able to find things by myself, thank you,
in case something is making Outlook really slow unable to open (like, for instance, now).
And I know I'm asking the wrong crowd, but please, don't say it (well, maybe it's this, maybe it's that...) I need to be able to find my stuff without playing amateur techie all day!
And yes, I can find it on gmail in a global search (and did, a few days ago, while Outlook lagged), I'm not totally against it when it's practical - it's incredibly fast - but what if I have no connection?

I used to use only a certain email program that I knew would allow the user to change the actual email received, subject and body, until I found out Outlook did, too.  I was always editing subjects and content as well to make them consice and orderly  :D.
I guess I could still do that now in Outlook, perhaps I will.

Thanks Josh, this thread is fun... ;)

-Sarah
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 10:29 PM by SKesselman »

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: June 20, 2009, 05:55 PM »
I can't believe I didn't post this before, but I get seriously annoyed when I'm trying to type, and I"m making the same mistakes over and over and over...
It makes me feel like I cant learn or something.  :-\

I hate that. I know there are spell checkers, but I like to know that I can type fluently by myself.

And, I hate to see the words on the screen wrong in the same places so many times.  >:(
-Sarah

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2009, 11:10 PM »
Warning:   Gross-osity ahead - - - -

Remember when someone got sick on TV? I don't mean for real, but as part of a show? They usually got a sick, "Uh-oh" look, turned and ran either off-camera or at least further away from the camera, and then bent over a trash can or similar container. That was it. You got the message, right?

Then they got a little more aggressive, and started including sound effects - loud, raucous sound effects. Soon they added off-angle viewing of the actual vomiting. Nothing too close... Just a view from the side/rear, letting you see just a bit of something spewing.

And finally, here we are today, and it seems like every damn TV show insists on showing us full frontal-view, up close, personal, and totally gross vomiting. Today you won't see a vomit scene without yellowish liquid shooting out of their oral cavity. Loud, tortuous retching usually accompanies the up-close vomiting. Even shows that are not known at all for shock value or cheap tricks seem to be showing a lot of vomiting nowadays. Why? Where is the data collected by advertisers/marketing geniuses that says the more frequently you display close-up, real-looking vomit - happening-as-you-watch!! - along with the most gut-wrenching retching sounds somehow increases the shows' ratings? I need to see that data! (They must be keeping it filed away with the data that indicates viewers will definitely purchase more of their products if they crank the volume up to an ear-splitting level! But that's fodder for another post.)

Anyway, that's my chief annoyance for today, having just seen three - count 'em - three TV shows where much vomiting was had!   :o

Jim

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: June 21, 2009, 12:57 AM »
J-mac, this post is just great. I hope someone who does the data collecting you mentioned sees this.

Thankfully, my TV's broken, because I'm a certified, straight up emetophobe. Last time I witnessed it, I blacked out.
And, if I ever hit one of those self starting videos online with something like that, I don't know what I'll do.

THREE shows in one day? What shows were they? That is RUDE!

This world is becoming desensitized, & I think this horrific vomiting scene trend proves it. People are needing scenes like this to satisfy their perverse hunger for more and more super-stimulating and bizarre entertainment. Perhaps these people need to take up racecar driving or skydiving or some adrenalin-inducing hobby like that.

The sad truth is: They wouldn't be showing it if people weren't watching it. Gross.
-Sarah

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2009, 02:10 AM »
I remember watching a video at a friend's place years back - some dumb comedy. In one scene these kids take a roller coaster ride and start 'projectile vomiting'. The friend's mother (IRL) walked in just then. There was the two of them laughing so hard they were nearly on the floor and then there was me with a sheepish WTF grin. I just didn't get it.

I watched Monty Python's The Meaning of Life years later and saw the seminal 'masterpiece' with the obese man at the restaurant (which probably inspired a whole bunch of 'projectile vomiting' scenes in years to come). It still is the grossest, most disgusting scene I've seen in mainstream cinema. But it was SO over the top, it actually made me laugh. Go figure!

"The Meaning Of Life - The Autumn Years" on YouTube (I'm not linking!  :P)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 02:16 AM by nosh »

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2009, 02:21 AM »
J-Mac - I agree 100% and so does my Mum! It's not necessary...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2009, 04:05 AM »
J-Mac - I agree 100% and so does my Mum! It's not necessary...

Surely it depends on the context?

eg. The Exorcist - Yes, it was split pea soup but was an integral part of the movie.
     Team America: World Police - So over the top that no one could actually think it was gross, (although I'm not sure whether to class this film as an actual documentary or not ).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: June 21, 2009, 09:48 AM »
Team America: World Police - So over the top that no one could actually think it was gross, (although I'm not sure whether to class this film as an actual documentary or not ).

Don't get too rone-ree under that chair, 4wd... you might break into song!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2009, 10:12 AM »
Awww, couldn't you at least have kept the link to the snapping-turtle-duck-eating video? I found it pretty amazing - didn't know turtles could do this. In the "wow, wtf" not "LULZ!" way, though.
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Awww, couldn't you at least have kept the link to the snapping-turtle-duck-eating video? I found it pretty amazing - didn't know turtles could do this. In the "wow, wtf" not "LULZ!" way, though.

Nope. Mouser didn't like it. For me, that was sufficient reason to just 86 the whole thing.

It's easy enough to find on YouTube if anyone's that interested.

(BTW: I also didn't think of it as LoL. More like ZOMG! I probably shouldn't have included the smiley. I meant it to imply "just kidding" rather than "ha-ha". I probably should have said icbiwoop!!! instead. Oh well.  "So it goes..." )

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:43 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2009, 11:32 AM »
Trying to load a site, and the advertising server makes the site take forever to respond.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Trying to load a site, and the advertising server makes the site take forever to respond.

Plus those sites that use Google Analytics but in such a way that you can't use any button unless you allow it because you've blocked it in, eg. NoScript.

Not to mention idiots who think it's OK to have a website that's nothing but one big Flash animation or uses nothing but Flash because the designer was too stupid to realise there are people who don't want to, (or can't), use Flash crap.

Especially when it's a commercial site.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:48 PM by 4wd »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: June 21, 2009, 07:16 PM »
People who own Joe dirt on DVD, or in any medium for that matter.

People who tell me that a bridge/switch is layer 3. ITS NOT PEOPLE!!!! COME ONE!!! ROUTERS ARE LAYER 3, NOT SWITCHES

unless they are layer 3 switches....but those don't count.....

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #241 on: June 22, 2009, 12:59 AM »
web pages that don't print, ie you get nothing at all, or maybe the top most frame - GAAAAAGH!!

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: June 22, 2009, 01:23 AM »

eg. The Exorcist - Yes, it was split pea soup but was an integral part of the movie.

Wouldn't watch that sort of movie if u paid me!  :)

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: June 22, 2009, 02:28 AM »

Wouldn't watch that sort of movie if u paid me!  :)

I wish I'd have had that much sense when the opportunity arose; but I was only 12.
I have never, ever been so scared in all my life, not by something that couldn't look me right in the eye. It scared me every night for a few good years afterwards, too.
It was so bad that the split pea soup scene didn't even faze me; it was an unbelievably horrifying movie, yet today kids clearly aren't bothered by it at all.
Very strange.
-Sarah

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: June 22, 2009, 09:08 AM »
No conscience! ;)

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: June 22, 2009, 09:32 AM »
You know, people might be desensitized to movie violence and gore however, after attending a training course, I have learned that seeing it on screen and handling it in real life are two totally different things. I thought I was pretty well de-sensitized to the gore of blood, but seeing and working with it in real life are two things which do not even compare.

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #246 on: June 22, 2009, 11:05 AM »
U.S. doctors!!!
*Doctors who won't explain anything to you.
*Doctors who insist on blowing through a list of routine questions, but who don't give the patient time to ask any questions.
*Doctors who make patients live for weeks, or months with conditions that they wouldn't tolerate for a week.
*Doctors who are about to retire. Just do it, already. Go play a round of golf. Let someone young, with perhaps some interest in their job take over!!!
*Dermatologists (one after the other) who act like beauticians, not scientists - whose only interest is to sell expensive beauty treatments, while they send patients with real problems out the door with the same tired old prescriptions, day after day, year after year. (If you're not going to take any interest in actual skin conditions, take it off your list of services!!!!)
*Doctors who won't  prescribe a patient anything to make flying easier, because, "it's just too addictive". Come on!!!! Besides the fact that I don't have a history with this "substance", a person taking one Klonapin for a 5 hour flight and one on the way home maketh NOT a candidate for rehab!!
*Doctors who won't write prescriptions that could take patients out of pain, making them pay for the misdeeds of others.
*Doctors who say, "See you in 2 weeks/one month/two months. Bye, now!" but who won't talk to you sooner if your treatment makes something worse or doesn't work at all.

-Sarah

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #247 on: June 22, 2009, 12:50 PM »
Maybe it's time to change doctors?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #248 on: June 22, 2009, 12:54 PM »
People named wraith....oh wait, nevermind....I was thinking of the horrible movie starring Charlie Sheen

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #249 on: June 22, 2009, 02:55 PM »
Maybe it's time to change doctors?

You know, I didn't even think of that!
Thanks! :Thmbsup:
-Sarah