topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What annoys you to no end?  (Read 345055 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What annoys you to no end?
« Reply #175 on: June 04, 2009, 09:28 AM »
Grownups saying "Woo Hoo!!!!"

;D ;D ;D
I missed this one...this never annoys me, though. I just get really embarrassed for them.  :-[

hey!!
I say that occasionally - okay, I do it a bit tongue in cheek but it's fun too.
I'll remember to let ye know when to be emabarrased and annoyed :P
Tom

merkin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: June 04, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Parents who let their kids stand in shopping trolleys.
I have to put my FOOD in there!

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2009, 02:10 AM »

;D ;D ;D
I missed this one...this never annoys me, though. I just get really embarrassed for them.  :-[

hey!!

Me too - and I make no apologies! ;) I picked it up from watching Sabrina...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2009, 11:31 AM »

;D ;D ;D
I missed this one...this never annoys me, though. I just get really embarrassed for them.  :-[

hey!!

Me too - and I make no apologies! ;) I picked it up from watching Sabrina...

My GF has done that since she was a kid. Back then, it was traditional around where I live to yell Woo-Hoo!! when a fellow barn-mate won a ribbon at a horse show. That's how she got started. (And yes, I still cringe every time she does it.)

Question: Does it still count as annoying if she didn't start doing it as an adult? ;D

---

P.S. She has since informed me that if I promise to stop saying w00t! she'll stop saying Woo-Hoo!!! - unless, of course, she feels like saying: Woo-Hoo!!! - in which case, I'll just have to deal with it.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:43 AM by 40hz »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2009, 11:47 AM »
My GF has done that since she was a kid. Back then, it was traditional around where I live to yell Woo-Hoo!! when a fellow barn-mate won a ribbon at a horse show. That's how she got started. (And yes, I still cringe every time she does it.)

Question: Does it still count as annoying if she didn't start doing it as an adult? ;D

I think cowboys and cowgirls get a pass.

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: June 05, 2009, 12:00 PM »

Actually, it's probably not annoying if it rolls off her tongue, naturally.
For me, it's mostly the facial expression that makes me cringe.
She can probably say it without looking insane, and like her eyes are about to pop out of her head.

P.S. She has since informed me that if I promise to stop saying w00t! she'll stop saying Woo-Hoo!!! (unless of course she feels like saying Woo-Hoo!!! - in which case I'll just have to deal with it.)

Yep, sounds fair to me :)
-Sarah

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: June 06, 2009, 02:07 PM »
Mandatory gratuity in ANY FORM. If you want me to come to your restaurant, do not charge me a fee that goes to the waiter/waitress. If I want to tip them, read "If they deserve it", they will get one from me. I should not have to tell the waiter/waitress/manager that I want the fee removed. Gratuity is just that, GRATUITY. It is not mandatory and I hate places which add this at certain given occasions.

I never did understand the idea anyway, paying someone to do their job they are being paid to do anyways. I do tip, but mandatory tips disgust me!

This is a poorly written post, I realize that, I just had to run inside and add it before I forgot. Now, back to cutting down the ugly trees in our back yard.

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2009, 11:19 PM »
I should not have to tell the waiter/waitress/manager that I want the fee removed.

I agree with you, that mandatory tipping in intrusive and offensive. However, disputing this with a food server is usually ineffective. It's like complaining to a McDonald's employee that you don't like their corporate policies. Going to management to resolve your issues is usually your best bet.

For many food servers (especially the most skilled ones), mandatory tip policies are an embarrassment. Any waiter or waitress that takes any pride in their work understands what a gratuity is, and does not want it forced out of you. It takes from you the pleasure of showing your appreciation by leaving a tip, and it takes from them any idea of how satisfied you were with the service they've given you.

Along with the initial embarrassment of receiving a mandatory tip, complaints made to the server, especially if made in the presence of your guests, only add insult to injury.

Additionally, for food servers, timing is everything. Servers have a plan, a rhythm, which allows them to gracefully juggle many different tasks at once. This is their skill. Imagine if you couldn't serve the hungry, impatient customers that were staring you down, because you were dealing with a complaint you weren't even in the position to address. In my experience, this event usually has the same effect on most servers: one pissed off customer (oh, sinking stomach) and 5 minutes being held up unexpectedly keeps them off kilter all night.

I never did understand the idea anyway, paying someone to do their job they are being paid to do anyways...

Well, I and many other servers have wished that we could make the same money from our employers, and that tipping be done away with, altogether. But, that's the food service industry, at least in the US.
Food servers are getting paid to do their job, yes. Minimum wage. No pity: customers know this, and contribute to a service person's income tenfold, to make up for the wages their employers pay them.  They appreciate good service and (regulars) understand that they themselves contribute to that service by contributing to their servers' livelyhood. That said, anyone who objects to this practice should never leave tips. Waiting tables in general is decent, respectable hard work for good money, & you'll often find a great deal of pride in the the hearts of the best waiters and waitress that exist. But most servers, skilled or not, have their pride and would sooner miss a meal than accept a tip left in disdain, and no one customer who chooses not to tip is going to bring any great harm to anyone. BTW, let's not forget the others who are making minimum wage + tips: The people that shine our shoes on demand, deliver our pizzas, clean our homes, detail our cars, cut our hair, give us manicures & pedicures, walk our dogs, etc., etc.
Do you have the same belief for these people, or is it just food servers?

As a side note, it's an honor for me to have been able to serve others, and as long as my customers were OK with tipping, I was, too, most of the time. The few times that I've felt like a beggar (thanks, Mom!) have only pushed me to refine my skills, so I could give even better service, and therefore feel completely worth their gratuity.  :D
-Sarah

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2009, 08:25 AM »
SKesselman

I fully understand that most food servers are not paid a decent wage. That is a problem which all food servers should address. It is the same a teacher or law enforcement officer or paramedic. All do a job which is worth far more than they are paid. The three latter I mentioned deserve 3 fold their current pay (Most police officers anyways, the ones who care about their job). Please understand that I do not totally object to the idea of tipping, but when it is used to make a food service employees wage livable, I do disagree with that. It should not be the customers responsibility to ensure that someone who visits me four times during a meal gets paid decently. Tipping should be in addition to not required for someone to live comfortably. I understand the difficulty that comes with the job. My brother was a waiter for about a year and explained to me the eccentricities that were involved. It is there that I feel the employee should request more. If more of these employees asked for more, they would surely not have to rely on tips to "Make ends meet".

My belief is for tipping in general. Tipping should not be an excuse for an employer to pay their employees poorly. Do you know how many times I have tipped my car detailer (Fort Meade Auto Spa) for doing a great job? Yes, the service cost me 100 dollars, but I gladly pay them a bit more for a job well done.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2009, 09:45 AM »
What annoys me is subscription-ware. Programs that can only be registered in time-measured ways like anti-virus software. Other types of programs use the payment model, but AV is the most prevalent.

I absolutely hate to see the days of my subscription tick down till there's nothing left. And if I go out of town on vacation for a week? OMG! That's 7-9 days down the drain where I didn't get to reap the benefits of said program and it feels like money wasted.

This annoyance is why I registered Newsbin Pro rather than Newsleecher. It's also why I made sure I registered AnyDVD before they raised the prices and went to a more subscription-oriented pricing scheme. You can still get a lifetime update scheme from Slysoft, but oh man, you pay royally through the nose now for the privilege.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2009, 10:17 AM »
Subscription-ware is different than pay per version, I hope anyways. Subscriptions do annoy me. Paying for upgrades does not so much because you are alerted to this on most websites.

Trillian offers the subscription method which, in my opinion, is STUPID for an instant messenger program. antiviruses make sense and I think ESET got it right in that they provide a/v definitions AND program updates through their subscription.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2009, 11:32 AM »
NPR & PBS Fundraisers. :down:

Look, I know they depend on contributions. (And I do contribute BTW.) But these constant "mini-drives" and program "hostage-taking" tactics are just flat-out infuriating. Especially when a segment isn't getting the numbers they're looking for and the announcers start getting a little confrontational with their tone and their comments.

And it's especially annoying to listen to yet another fundraiser (in February, March, and June!!!) when you already contributed during what was called the "annual drive" back in January.

I know a bunch of people who have since stopped supporting NPR and PBS because they got sick and tired of the constant begging and program disruptions.

I long for the good old days when they did a single (month-long) annual fundraiser. :Thmbsup:

Just my 2¢

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:34 AM by 40hz »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2009, 01:45 PM »
Josh, I have no problem paying per version, but having my time ticked off on a calendar before a program shuts down chaps my cheeks. :)

PBS is in trouble. Back in the days before cable they filled a niche, but their niche has been over-run by the Discovery & History Channels and others like them. NPR stopped being relevant when all of their broadcasting was overcast with a "We're going to teach you the right things to think in order to be a 'properly' enlightened person."

I haven't listened to NPR in years...and haven't watched PBS in *decades*.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2009, 02:23 PM »
But does your program really stop working after that time? Most of what I have seen is that the program stops receiving whatever the subscription gets you but it works still.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2009, 02:24 PM »
PBS is in trouble. Back in the days before cable they filled a niche, but their niche has been over-run by the Discovery & History Channels and others like them. NPR stopped being relevant when all of their broadcasting was overcast with a "We're going to teach you the right things to think in order to be a 'properly' enlightened person."

I haven't listened to NPR in years...and haven't watched PBS in *decades*.

Actually, I think they're in trouble more beause they abandoned their high quality and standards in order to become what they believed would be "more appealing to a younger audience." Not only did that attitude alienate their old viewers, it also insulted their so-called younger audience by implying they were either too stupid or immature to appreciate and understand the original goals of public broadcasting.

As far as History and all the other edu-channels stealing PBS's thunder is concerned, I think that's just an excuse. The cable "smart channels" might have been a threat when they first came out. But not any more. There's as much (or more) pseudo-science (ghost hunting, crypto-zoology, UFO conspiracy theories, "ancient" prophesies, etc.) programs as there are real history and scientific shows. And while Top Gear may be a pretty cool show, I still wonder why my cable provider is running it on the Discovery Channel.

PBS's problem is that their shows are simply not as good as they used to be. Even such perennial favorites as Nova have become spotty at best. And with the exception of a few specials, most of the news "reporting" is about as in-depth as a CNN "Special Report." And the same goes for NPR.

BTW: I never got the impression NPR was ever  in the habit of telling you what to think. The only time I ever heard that advanced was as a "talking point" by the emerging neo-conservative movement back in the Regan Era, who succeeded in getting virtually all government support pulled from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting for such "controversial and inflammatory" programs as Death of a Princess. But to each their own, I suppose. Some people see other people who ask difficult questions as a threat rather than an opportunity.
 :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2009, 06:02 PM »
Josh, I know it will still work once the subscription runs out, but it still annoys me whether it's a rational annoyance or not.

40hz, I'll take your word for what you are saying, especially regarding PBS, but it seems like every time I am channel surfing (or more accurately surfing the program guide) any time I notice what's on PBS, it's almost always Lawrence Welk.  ;D   And on the off-chance they do have something on that I might be interested in watching I've already watched it months/years ago on a cable channel.

And as for NPR, they may have changed, but the last time I really tried listening to them they were going through some kind of Earth Day/Hippie phase. And that's what I meant by telling people what to think. Hopefully, they are over that by now. They are going to have a hard time surviving as things shift more towards satellite & internet radio. Heck, even regular broadcast radio is feeling the pinch of those and MP3s in general. Who wants to spend an hour listing to 35 minutes of music and 25 minutes of commercials? (Yay! Another annoyance for the thread!) More and more people are heading out to the car with their MP3 player full of songs and podcasts for their drive to work or around town.

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2009, 06:05 PM »
Okay now, let's see... Airlines, banks, the whole advertising industry, and

(Fair warning: Do not click the button lest you be annoyed yourself!)

Spoiler
right-wingers (all of them), centrists (a.k.a right-wingers in sheep's clothing), authoritarian leaders, authoritarian followers, multinational corporations, media conglomerates, middlemen, murderers, women-haters, wife-beaters, rapists, child molesters, bullies, homophobes, xenophobes, wars, warmongers, chickenhawks, anyone who owns a functioning firearm or whose job description involves handling one (unless responding to a direct physical threat also involving a firearm), the stock market, the apostles of the stock market (frauds all), workplace mobbing, fencing off land, pharma corps, fast food joints, privatization of water (what's next?), sweatshops, institutional churches, any and all secret and special services, the so-called "national security" and "national interest" (always the security and the interest of those in power only), state secrets (there should be none), predominantly but not exclusively, not necessarily in that order.

Nothing that shows up on my computer could ever begin to approach any of those.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2009, 06:17 PM »
Females, typically, who talk in a manner which results in the majority of their vocabulary being "Like, whatever, yeah". I HATE THAT! It just makes you sound stupider when you have to keep saying LIKE!!!!!

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: June 07, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Ahh tranglos, good list, but misogynists could be added i think

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: June 07, 2009, 07:02 PM »
Ahh tranglos, good list, but misogynists could be added i think

Oh, the list is totally open-ended :) You are right, of course.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: June 07, 2009, 07:52 PM »
Females, typically, who talk in a manner which results in the majority of their vocabulary being "Like, whatever, yeah". I HATE THAT! It just makes you sound stupider when you have to keep saying LIKE!!!!!

Don't forget anyone who really thinks it's normal to say, "you know", at least 3 times in the one sentence, (or actually anywhere in the sentence if it's not required, you know).

People who keep trying to ram their side of things down your throat - state your case and then STFU so I can go back to ignoring you please  :P

@tranglos: A lot of your list could be summed up with the word "fanatic".

Post #444: A mighty fine calibre :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 07:54 PM by 4wd »

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2009, 08:01 PM »
4wd, betanews.com is popular for people like that. The ones who have to state the same thing in every review for every version knowing full well the product in review will not change.

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2009, 08:58 PM »
It just makes you sound stupider when you have to keep saying LIKE!!!!!

:Thmbsup: too funnny...

-Sarah

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2009, 09:22 PM »
4wd, betanews.com is popular for people like that. The ones who have to state the same thing in every review for every version knowing full well the product in review will not change.
-Josh

:: cough :: D.u.k.e.b.o.y.z :: cough ::

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: June 08, 2009, 05:48 AM »
He is one of the many. There used to be a guy named httpd.confused on BN, however, he was driven off by the admins which remove posts based on a user complaint and not based on any actual merit. He was one of the more level headed posters and received flames for posting the truth about applications and not the "This application rocks" or "This application sucks" like everyone else. Betanews is definitely one of those sites which greatly annoys me. Fix your review system to include a moderation system before any review is posted. Half of the reviews there are flames against someone else and the rest are people doing just what DudeBoyz does. The site is quickly losing credibility.

There are two types of flames against people on BN, if you praise an app that others criticize you work for the company being praised. If you post negativity about an application, you get flamed for being a troll and you will get people trolling you and posting to other software in which you post to just to counter your review.

To prove my point:

http://www.betanews.com/profile/DudeBoyz

http://www.betanews....om/profile/catchpole

http://www.betanews.com/profile/PC_Tool

http://www.betanews.com/profile/diam0nd